New PBs- what do they mean for iBook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With new 667 and 800, 133 bus, 1 MB L3 DDR cache, 32 MB Radeon graphics, Higher res screen Powerooks out now, what does everyone think the next iBooks will include?

My guess is:

600 MHz G4

100 MHz bus

128 MB RAM

15 GB HD

CD-ROM

12.1"

$1399

700 MHz G4

100 MHz bus

128 MB RAM

20 GB HD

Combo Drive

12.1"

$1599

700 MHz G4

100 MHz bus

256 MB RAM

20 GB HD

Combo Drive

14.1"

$1799

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: Rupert ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    iBook will keep using G3 processor for awhile
  • Reply 2 of 52
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    iBook

G4, no external cache. 100Mhz bus. 600 and 700Mhz. New Radeon 7500 graphics with spanning support disabled, and possibly only 16Mb of RAM. New base HDD 20GB, 30GB on Combo models. Same res screen.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    it means that the current ibooks are even more of a rip off. Sans the 12.1 combo model.

Bottom end iBook....Oooohhh lookie! i have a POS 500Mhz G3 from 2000 and im running on a 1997 system bus, don't you just love my laughable 8MB video card from 1999 too? But that's not all, i also have a, get this, A CD-ROM drive!!!!

im a maniac, MANIAC on the floor.....

Apple seriously needs to re-invent the iBook line big time.

something like this....

Move the Bottom end iBook to Education only.

Consumer iBook:

12.1"

700Mhz G3

100Mhz bus

128MB

15GB

Combo Drive

Prosumer iBook:

14.1" (w/ a nice screen res.)

733Mhz G4 (256k L2, no L3)

133Mhz bus

256MB

20GB

Combo drive

er, something like that....im just rambling...
  • Reply 4 of 52
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>iBook

G4, no external cache. 100Mhz bus. 600 and 700Mhz. New Radeon 7500 graphics with spanning support disabled, and possibly only 16Mb of RAM. New base HDD 20GB, 30GB on Combo models. Same res screen.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds about right to me. I would guess 16Mb Radeon that was in the PBG4 until today. I mean, they now have a $1000 G4 system. I predict the G3 is not long for this earth......

Hot Dog! I'm a full fledged "member" now

woops, that sort of sounded like it was from a trashy romance novel :eek:

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: Flounder ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 52
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    F*ck the G4 iBook. I'd rather have an 800mhz IBM G3 (and remember, they are putting in some cool tech like SIMD) Is it general consensus here that AltiVec in G4s makes OS X faster? I played with a PBG4 and a 600mhz iBook, no difference in OS X, really. Though I only had a minute. Seriously, think about it. A consumer laptop. I know, the iMac got one. But, the iBook is cheap, I see it getting even better price/performance at MWNY. Who buys an iBook to render Photoshop on? That would be stupid. Especially considering the new PBG4. The only things that MUST be corrected on the iBook: the VRAM (8mb, are you kidding?)

the BUS: 66mhz is absolutely crippleware. I can't believe Apple is still doing this. Just upclock the 500 iBook to a 100mhz bus. The fab has to be good enough for this now.

Oh yeah, and where's that handle? Somehow, I believe Apple could make a handle fit onto the new screen. I'm inclined to think they could build it into the hinge for the screen. It is too hard to explain in words, and I don't have Photoshop, though! Suffice to say, it would be a weird looking 90 degree handle that sort of connected to the back of the screen, but it would get the job done.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Someone has already come up with a neat little handle solution. I've seen them in real life too. Pretty nice. Beats not having one, I guess.

<a href="http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=5805-IBTT"; target="_blank">http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=5805-IBTT</a>;

Do you like that?
  • Reply 7 of 52
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>Is it general consensus here that AltiVec in G4s makes OS X faster?</strong><hr></blockquote>There is a consensus, I'm just not sure it's correct.

But I'm with you, I'd rather see a cheap, cool, small G3 in the iBooks for the next year or so.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    The next iBook will probably have something like this:

700-800 MHz G3

100 MHz bus

20-30GB HD

128-256MB RAM

16MB Radeon (like the previous Ti's had)

Combo

12.1" on bottom 2 models and 14" on high-end
  • Reply 9 of 52
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>The next iBook will probably have something like this:

700-800 MHz G3

100 MHz bus

20-30GB HD

128-256MB RAM

16MB Radeon (like the previous Ti's had)

Combo

12.1" on bottom 2 models and 14" on high-end</strong><hr></blockquote>

What is with Apple's fascination of keeping the iBook's specs anemic? GIve us these good specs but with a 133MHz bus.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    NEVER! Not as long as the iMac still has a 100MHz Bus. You gotta bump that, too.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    [quote]Originally posted by bauman:

<strong>NEVER! Not as long as the iMac still has a 100MHz Bus. You gotta bump that, too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Bump, baby, BUMP!
  • Reply 12 of 52
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I personally can't wait until allMacs run on the G4 chip.

Upping the bus speed, perhaps DOUBLING, would be nice on ALL MACINTOSHES.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>I personally can't wait until allMacs run on the G4 chip.

Upping the bus speed, perhaps DOUBLING, would be nice on ALL MACINTOSHES.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Doubling? On what technology planet are you on?
  • Reply 14 of 52
    [quote]Originally posted by sjpsu:

<strong>

Doubling? On what technology planet are you on?</strong><hr></blockquote>

He's from the x86 world.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    There doesn't seem to be much they can do with the iBook by way of the G4. They will either have to introduce the low end at a lower clock speed than the current iBook, or they will have to introduce the high end at a higher clock speed of the current PowerBook.

The biggest stumbling block to the iBook's upgrade path is the PowerBook. If the 800 MHz PB is the absolute best they could do, then there is not much room for a G4 iBook yet.

But you never know...
  • Reply 16 of 52
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    The iBook shouldn't have a G4 till G4s consume about 1 Watt at 1GHz. Until then low power G3s are fine. It would be helpful if they would speed up the rest of the systems a little. An 800MHz, low power G3 12.1" iBook that looses about 2 pounds would be extremely sweet.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    1 watt at 1 GHz? LOL. Not even a 400 MHz 750CXe uses only 1 watt.

I think Matsu has the right spec, but I would not be too surprised if Apple stuck with the 750CXe for one more round.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by neutrino23:

<strong>An 800MHz, low power G3 12.1" iBook that looses about 2 pounds would be extremely sweet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yum! neutrino23 and I have been waiting for a smaller 'Book long enough. It's time for the sub-iBook! See this recent <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001525"; target="_blank">subnotebook thread</a> for more discussion on a small and light 'Book.

Escher

[ 04-30-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 52
    stevessteves Posts: 108member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>iBook will keep using G3 processor for awhile</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wouldn't be so sure of that. With Apple's low cost e-Mac now moving to the G4 line, which follows Apple's other consumer "iMac" line moving to G4s, I'd be willing to bet that the entire lineup will be G4s by MWNY.

Think of how Apple has been pushing the digital hub for it's consumer machines. All of the "iApps" are Altivec enhanced. To some degree, so is OS X.

I'd take the Powerbook bump as a good signal of what to expect. For starters, Apple has to bump the Powerbook line first. This way, they'll be able to clear the inventory of the discounted older powerbooks. Then, the new iBooks will be announced, probably at a consumer function like MWNY.

Steve
  • Reply 20 of 52
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    1280x960