New iPod has the ability to record audio

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I just found this very interesting report at iPodding.com, about a somewhat hidden function in the new iPods:

iPodding.com: Enable recording mode

iPodding.com: How to record right now

Maybe this feature will see the light (without the hack) in a future software update in addition to a line of accessories for recording analog audio (microphones, line in, etc...).

Discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Eek. You beat me to posting this! Now, I really want an iPod. I would guess of course that this means it will eventually become a feature.... (As this is the only thing really holding me back from buying one....) Steve Jobs? Ever linger on this board??? Hint hint...
  • Reply 2 of 29
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    i think we're going to find a lot of interesting developments regarding the "dock" connector in the months to come.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    I agree, but it puzzles me as to why this was not announced earlier... Like I mentioned above, this is the only thing holding me back from buying one, and I am sure others feel the same way. I just hope that it supports high quality audio. (Hint: Aiff and any bitrate MP3) Recording is what I have always wanted a minidisc player for (and had one for a week, but couldn't stand the hassle to get songs onto it from my pc. Actually, never succeded.) If they can pull this off. Yeah, so I said the same thing over, I am just really excited now.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    well, i'm thinking several things...

1) the necessary software/hardware isn't quite finished yet.

2) Steve wants to use the capability in conjunction with some larger event.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    If it is some larger event, I would suppose it will be quite some time.... Stink. Had some ideas of this *possibly* coenciding with some 970 announcements, but doubt it. Perhaps WWDC? Looks like I could be waiting awhile for my iPod, and if so, will probably wait till the next update. But, what am I saying? This info is very early... Neways, ya, those sound like pretty plausible reasons, but still disappointing nonetheless.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    g3joelg3joel Posts: 29member
    Is there any reason to believe that this would facilitate voice recording/note taking? I hope so...
  • Reply 7 of 29
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    as a current owner of a 30 gig ipod....sorry just had to through that in and a music composer I am hoping it will have the ability to record through the firewire port so we can use a 3rd party converter and could use this as a DAT/harddisc recorder replacement... I'd also be curious how high a bit rate it could record... it would be awesome if it could do atleast 48k wave or aiff format or 96 would be even better
  • Reply 8 of 29
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

Eek. You beat me to posting this! Now, I really want an iPod. I would guess of course that this means it will eventually become a feature.... (As this is the only thing really holding me back from buying one....)

Actually AAC support and this feature were holding me back but I gave in and ordered when they were released. To find out they might add recording down the line just reassures me I did the right thing. Lets just hope it wasn't a technical issue with this version that stopped release so that I don't need to buy another version for my recording.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    The new notes program in the 2.0 iPods have some linking features, maybe you will be able to link it to keynote.

You can walk into your lecture, stick ya ipod on the desk and sit back and relax while the iPod "gives" the lecture!
  • Reply 10 of 29
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Actually AAC support and this feature were holding me back but I gave in and ordered when they were released. To find out they might add recording down the line just reassures me I did the right thing. Lets just hope it wasn't a technical issue with this version that stopped release so that I don't need to buy another version for my recording.

Having to buy a new version to get a feature that is almost already there just seems a bit too much really (especially if a microphone can be incorporated via the new connector). Fortunately it looks like Jobs is trying to make some of the features backwards compatible (AAC) so even if we do not get recording till the next release let's hope the current line can be upgraded or that some third party developers find a way around it. Who knows, maybe a third party will develop a microphone for this before Apple?
  • Reply 11 of 29
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    This is cool. It's a feature people have been clamoring for for quite some time.

Matsu!! Get your iPod NOW! You should have no complaints with these bad boys.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

Having to buy a new version to get a feature that is almost already there just seems a bit too much really (especially if a microphone can be incorporated via the new connector).

It certainly does look like it's just waiting for a firmware update and a mic but I just wonder why they'd hold off on announcing it unless they plan it for when sales lag a bit.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    I haven't yet received my (ok, my wife's) 15gb iPod, but I will sure check out this *feature* as soon as it gets here.

But, if it already has audio in/out, how about adding a small accessory ccd/cmos video camera (Apple or third party) on the top firewire connector and use it as a portable minicamcorder? How about becoming an accessory for iChat 2?

Alas, the iPod is getting so small and light, it rivals some mobile phones in this area. It already has contacts and calendars, and works great with iSync. Probably the idea of the iPod becoming the iPhone in the near future is not so far fetched after all. Even if it means not being mobile per se, but rather as a telecommunications peripheral for Macs.

8)
  • Reply 14 of 29
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    This reminds me of the situation with the original iPods: everyone knew there were extra funky connectors in the headphone socket, the firmware tests said REMOTE, and yet there was no remote! Here we have pretty much the same thing.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    picture the scene at the WWDC Keynote as Steve says:

"under your seat, those of you with iPods will find a dock and a bag.

plug in your iPod for the Firmware upgrade while you unwrap the microphone.

you may now record the remainder of the Keynote."

<* and there was much rejoicing *>
  • Reply 16 of 29
    and almost any set of headphones/speakers can function as a microphone if you plug the (compatible) jack into an input port

takes a lot to move the vibrating diaphragm in reverse, so your shouting into the earphone will sound weak and tinny, but if you desperately need to test mic functionality, swap plugs and holler into your cans.

back in the 20th Century, Apple used an unusually long mic plug on its external omnidirectional mic and on most pre-B+W hardware. something like 2mm longer between rings on the minijack-diameter plug. proprietary enough that this test would not work due to the different plug lengths for audio input and output.

works on most PC soundcards, 3rd party cards, stereos...
  • Reply 17 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    What are the chances the iPod could record A/V?
  • Reply 18 of 29
    jump around in front of your headphones and see if the display shows video of your disco moves

post results.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

and almost any set of headphones/speakers can function as a microphone if you plug the (compatible) jack into an input port

takes a lot to move the vibrating diaphragm in reverse, so your shouting into the earphone will sound weak and tinny, but if you desperately need to test mic functionality, swap plugs and holler into your cans.

Are you serious, curiousuburb? When I read the post at MacRumors that claimed they had recorded by speaking into the earphones, I immediately assumed they were full of it. Can you really use a speaker as a (primitive) microphone? I just have a really hard time believing that. \

Escher
  • Reply 20 of 29
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Are you serious, curiousuburb? When I read the post at MacRumors that claimed they had recorded by speaking into the earphones, I immediately assumed they were full of it. Can you really use a speaker as a (primitive) microphone? I just have a really hard time believing that. \

Escher

Yeah, you can.

A speaker takes an electrical signal and turns it into a magnetic signal that makes a speaker cone wobble (or something like that, I slept through Physics class). A microphone has a cone that wobbles when audio waves hit it, which creates a magnetic signal which is converted into an electric one. The same process but backwards.

So technically, a speaker and a microphone are interchangeable. In practice it doesn't always work like that, but you can certainly record through most headphones. I've done so in music tech lessons when I've been desperate for a mic

Never tried playing audio through a microphone... be interesting to see if it worked.

Amorya