AAC encoding slower than MP3

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
re-encoding my stuff in AAC I've found that it's maximum speed is 7.5x on my iMac (800/15"/512) no matter wether I use 128, 160 or 192kbps. This compared to a speed of between 9.5 and 12x when encoding MP3s.

7.5x seems pretty lame and it must be much worse on a G3 system. What's everyone else found. Any chance of it improving?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Your complaining about 7.5x SHUT THE **** UP! I am getting 0.8-1x MAX on my Beige G3, and my mom's iMac will only get 2.5x tops.

I would kill for 5x-6x RIPP speed. so quit complaining.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Write

Your complaining about 7.5x SHUT THE **** UP! I am getting 0.8-1x MAX on my Beige G3, and my mom's iMac will only get 2.5x tops.

I love polite reasoned replies
  • Reply 3 of 22
    was grouchy about a 7.5x complaint. I have 90's CD's to re-ripp so 7x would be heaven (without any pops, and crackly sound).

Thank god I can't ripp on the Beige G3 due to a glitch which gives cracly audio so I have to use my mom's iMac when I go to her place (the 2.5x is an est ripp speed for AAC)
  • Reply 4 of 22
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Here are the results of my tests earlier today on a PowerBook G4 400 running 10.2.5:

Track is "Don't know why" - Norah Jones (just a cd I had on my desk)

Encoder - Bit Rate - Speed (top) - File Size

AAC - 128 - 5.8x - 3.0mb

MP3 - 128 - 4.0x - 2.8mb

AAC - 160 - 5.4x - 3.6mb

MP3 - 160 - 4.5x - 3.5mb

AAC - 192 - 5.3x - 4.3mb

MP3 - 192 - 4.9x - 4.2mb

At least on my test, AAC encoding is considerably faster than MP3 at any given bit rate. Files sizes are similar, but sound is much crisper and fuller under AAC. IMHO and using headphones, AAC 128 sounds much better than MP3 160 and certainly trumps MP3 128. I also found odd the fact that the slowest speed came for MP3 at 128kb. Maybe the AAC encoder in iTunes is better tuned for the G4/Altivec processor.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    With LAME's --alt-preset extreme and -q0 activated, I get ~.2x mp3 encoding on a dual 1 GHz G4. No, it's not multithreaded....
  • Reply 6 of 22
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Someone needs to get laid.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    the generalthe general Posts: 649member
    On my 1ghz Imac I was getting between 10-11x when ripping and converting to 160aac
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

What does getting laid have to do with CD Ripping? NOTHING.

and I believe in waiting for marriage beofe sex. I don't abuse it like you and **** any women I meet.

Waiting always brings good things.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

and I believe in waiting for marriage beofe sex. I don't abuse it like you and **** any women I meet.

u have some fight in you!

take it from me if u want to post on these boards...nah dont take advice from me ever...EVER
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

There was no call for that stupid, pointless remark. Go chat if you want to insult with banal comments.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

On my 1ghz Imac I was getting between 10-11x when ripping and converting to 160aac

Latest macworld (UK edition) puts the 1ghz iMac at 25% faster than the 800g4 imac. So that'd be about right. I suppose 7.5x is fine..still rips a CD in a couple of minutes. Just can never be fast enough.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Aww, I only get 20x AAC 160Kbps rip speeds and 35x 160Kbps MP3 rip speeds on my DP1250, sucks to be me. No really.

*NEWSFLASH* You have a slow computer.

8)
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Aww, I only get 20x AAC 160Kbps rip speeds and 35x 160Kbps MP3 rip speeds on my DP1250, sucks to be me. No really.

8)

LOL How cool . anyone ripping (or should I say aquiring - see SJ's intro of itunes 4 on QT if you're clueless) on a DP1420?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Ok, your initial comment in this thread was so much more appropriate. You magically know all about my sex life? Interesting.

Funny that you're telling me to get off, Proxy, since it was an ignorant reply to your thread that started this... now you're defending the guy.

OK then, never mind me, and shut the **** up if that's what you prefer.

EDIT - adding the smiley, because this is funny really.... Proxy is madder at me for the humorous jab than he is at Mac Write for telling him to shut the **** up.

Kisses and hugs to everyone!! 8)

• Reply 15 of 22
    OK..that's it Murbot and Mac write. Both of you go stand in the corner right now
  • Reply 16 of 22
    h228h228 Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

8)

Careful about how much you brag, or Mac Write may kill you for your computer.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

I believe in waiting for marriage beofe sex. I don't abuse it like you and **** any women I meet.

I just read this again and realized you are probably serious.

Thanks for the compliment. I'd like to think I could do that, too.

• Reply 18 of 22
    I don't care about your RIPP speed (well unless you have to re-encode 500 CD's), but when you complain a CD is going to take8 minutes vs. 6 minutes to encode, that's nor a big deal, since AAC is a more complrex codec.

and as for being on a Beige G3, I am desperate for a new Mac, but don't have the resources due to being on permentent disability pention.

Oh and sorry Murbot, I didn't read it was you making hte laid post, or I would have reponded differnely (since your married).
  • Reply 19 of 22
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Q. What audio codec produces better audio output quality?

a) AAC

b) QMusic Pro (v2)

(I know that QMusic codec is hugely better than MP3, so I am excluding this audio codec).

Q. What video codec produces better video output quality for QT?

a) Sorensen 3 (developer)

b) MPEG-4 (which is more universal)

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Quote:

I;m pissed my 17 inch power book only encodes AAC at 11x