Please share your iTunes library here

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm trying to set up a website where people can submit their ips of their streaming iTunes. I hope y'all can see the time to go there and submit your ips, or bug reports, or suggestions, or whatever.

Also, for those interested in a repository of listenable libraries, go there!

www.zaan.be/itunes/

It's 0.1, so be patient, it's pretty basic now, but with your help it might become something nice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Awesome idea, I submitted. But one thing you may want to consider; it asks if you are always online, I said no because I am not always on. But now it lists me as not online even when I am. Still it's a good idea.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Awesome idea, I submitted. But one thing you may want to consider; it asks if you are always online, I said no because I am not always on. But now it lists me as not online even when I am. Still it's a good idea.

Mucho cool, I'm listening to your library as we speak.

I kind of noticed that 'online?' question was a bit mistaken, so now it reads 'Always online?', which is, well, better.

I truly hope this will have more than a few users. There are plenty of little features which might be possible, if only there were a need.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I kind of noticed that 'online?' question was a bit mistaken, so now it reads 'Always online?', which is, well, better.

Easier to understand, I like. I see a few others have submitted.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Someone else is doing it too.

http://www.sandman.net/itunes/

Most of it is just close to my taste in music
  • Reply 5 of 21
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    You should add a field showing the size of the music library.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    der Kopf, you need to force them to use to fill in the feilds - you already had some one not fill in anything but still hit submit.

If you need me to show you how to do this in PHP let me know.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

der Kopf, you need to force them to use to fill in the feilds - you already had some one not fill in anything but still hit submit.

If you need me to show you how to do this in PHP let me know.

You're right about that. I was thinking this will be in tomorrow's version. I'm thinking JavaScript here, though. Validation of forms would typically be something for the JavaScript/client side.

In any case, how would you test if a string, handed to the php script by a html form is not null (or: if the user has filled out something)?

Right now, I'd use

Code:

if (strcasecmp($string_to_test, '') != 0)

but I don't really know if this is the most efficient way to go. ?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by low-fi

You should add a field showing the size of the music library.

I'll get on that first thing tomorrow.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Is there a way to test from a web page like yours to see who is currently online and sharing?

• Reply 10 of 21
    Yeah thats how I would do it der Kopf

And BRussell yes there is. There is also a way to see how many users are currently listening to music on said library and on top of that see how many users are just idle on that users library AND on top of that limit hte amount of users AND well pretty much what ever you want to do.. Isnt PHP great.

Hey der Kopf, Send me an instant message sometime. I would like to work on this with you if you don`t mind. I was going to get started on my own version of something like this till I seen yours. I would much rather just help you out on yours.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

Hey der Kopf, Send me an instant message sometime. I would like to work on this with you if you don`t mind.

That's LOVELY! I'll give you a ring sometime today when you might be awake.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Well, I just gave the index.html page an iTunes-skinned-look. Go see, you might like it.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Looks very nice, you should add into your PHP that it won't let descriptions be all capitals. I mean, I'm sure they're excited about their music, but I'm not that excited. iTunes theme looks nice though.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Looks good, der kopf. I'd recommend having a little more structure to the genre category so you can make it searchable when it gets big enough. You could have a dozen or so generic genre selections and then a comments field for what's the genre field now. Possibly having multiple genres to select for each submission so that people won't be locked into one description. I'd be willing to help with the coding if you need it.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Looks good, der kopf. I'd recommend having a little more structure to the genre category so you can make it searchable when it gets big enough. You could have a dozen or so generic genre selections and then a comments field for what's the genre field now. Possibly having multiple genres to select for each submission so that people won't be locked into one description. I'd be willing to help with the coding if you need it.

very good point torifile. I guess this'll get into the next version, when we get the chance to migrate to MySQL (instead of just a plain text file). It'll make the data searchable, it'll make the data updateable (! prime feature request, I think). And, of course, there will be added plenty o' validation features, to eliminate the bad entries we have now (sometimes).

Thanks also for the kind words (all of you).

And yes, apparently, BRussell, mount_my_floppy is on that right now.

In any case, spread the word!

EDIT: I forgot to add: that migration will be, I'm guessing, wednesday, or around that. You should see plenty of goodness by then. The layout should be brushed up as well.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    torifile, I would like to take your explanation on how to set up a wifi network to stream, from the other thread, and put it in the FAQ on the site, if you don't mind. Seeing it's a real good explanation.

Think about it.

And to everybody else, I'm desperately looking for submissions for the FAQ page. Yes, questions too. If you have something, just drop a line. k?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

torifile, I would like to take your explanation on how to set up a wifi network to stream, from the other thread, and put it in the FAQ on the site, if you don't mind. Seeing it's a real good explanation.

Think about it.

And to everybody else, I'm desperately looking for submissions for the FAQ page. Yes, questions too. If you have something, just drop a line. k?

Sure thing. I'd be honored.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Allright, torifile, you'll see it pop up soon enough.

You can all view your ip addresses on my site, with this page. Included because some people actually entered IP addresses of the form 192.168.x.x, which, some of you'll know better than me, are not valid internet IPs (they are addresses on the local network).
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

Allright, torifile, you'll see it pop up soon enough.

You can all view your ip addresses on my site, with this page. Included because some people actually entered IP addresses of the form 192.168.x.x, which, some of you'll know better than me, are not valid internet IPs (they are addresses on the local network).

Here's a relatively easy idea to help make that page even more useful. Make a link that passes that is clickable to pass that info to the submit page. Something really easy like passing the value in a variable and using "value=$ip" for the text field so that it's already populated.

Sample code:

Code:

$ip =GetHostByName ($REMOTE_ADDR );

<a href="http://127.0.0.1/iptesting.php?ip=<?php echo $ip ?>">Click here</a>

and then on the submit page:

Code:

<input type="text" size="50" name="ipaddress" value="<?php echo $ip?>">

• Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Here's a relatively easy idea

Consider it done. No really, it's done. Thanx for the idea and the code sample.

BTW, I'm using the global variable

Code:

$_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]

to find out the user's IP address. Pretty straightforward, didn't know it existed untill today.