Lopez and Affleck buy plantations, slave may be next.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Future slave owners

I'm sure that they will compensate their "slaves" with some lowly wages, but the mentality is the same.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Future slave owners

I'm sure that they will compensate their "slaves" with some lowly wages, but the mentality is the same.

Nick

um, have you ever been to a southern plantation? just so you know, they are rarely if directly in the line of flooding from hurricanes...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What's with all the "slave" comments? These houses are not plantations and plantation haven't had slaves since the end of the civil war.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I don't get it.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Oh, I'm having some fun with the entertainment types. They have bought land in Georgia and two antebellum-style 10,000 sq ft. houses.

Do you seriously think Ms. Lopez is going to clean and care for 20,000 sq ft of house by herself?

Antebellum style is the big type of plantation houses with the columns you see in films, books, movies, etc.

I wonder how many other parties could buy two big plantation type houses down in Georgia, stock them up with some minimum wage help and then still claim to be progressive and "Jenny from the Block."

I'm real....real comfortable on the porch with my slaves fanning me while getting me lemonade down in the dirty south...

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member

trumptman needs to have his free speech curtailed just a tad.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Taco flavored kisses for my Benny
  • Reply 7 of 15
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Antebellum style is the big type of plantation houses with the columns you see in films, books, movies, etc.

Ante-bellum isn't a style at all.

It means that the houses were built before the Civil War.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 8 of 15
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Ante-bellum isn't a style at all.

It means that the houses were built before the Civil War.

Cheers

Scott

actually there is a style associated with the height of antebellum south. that being antebellum style....
  • Reply 9 of 15
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

actually there is a style associated with the height of antebellum south. that being antebellum style....

IIRC, the dominant architectural style immediately prior to the CW is called the "federal style," which is generally kind of a boxy (usually) two-story house. But it doesn't look like Rowan Oak (Faulkner's house in Oxford, MS), nor does it look like Tara (the plantation home in Gone With The Wind). The Federal style looks more Georgian to me than anything else.

I realize I'm more or less nit-picking here, but I think that it's important to point out that "ante-bellum" describes a house's age, and only designates an architectural style insofar as architectural fashion comes and goes. There are something like three ante-bellum homes in my hometown (I'm from MS, originally), and none of them look alike. One's a giant mansion with columns and the big driveway and everything. One's just a big house with a wrap-around porch. One's a big house with a veranda.

I'm not an architect by any means, but aren't the big plantation homes/mansions with the columns and the long drives actually "Greek revival" architecture? Any architects out there?

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Remember:

YOU MESS WITH J.LO'S HONOR, YOU MESS WITH ME!

• Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

Remember:

YOU MESS WITH J.LO'S HONOR, YOU MESS WITH ME!

Don't worry Shawn, I'm sure that her moving to an isolated in Georgia had nothing to you with your stal...I mean pursuing of her.

Maybe if you were really lucky she would marry you for a week, because that is about is long as she can stay married you know.

Nick
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Don't worry Shawn, I'm sure that her moving to an isolated in Georgia had nothing to you with your stal...I mean pursuing of her.

Maybe if you were really lucky she would marry you for a week, because that is about is long as she can stay married you know.

Nick

ooooooh... burnnn

• Reply 13 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Nick, you stepped in it. I made the mistake of dissing J-Lo in Shawn's presence. He's a maniac and he loves her...you're toast. You're own your own, pal. Wish I could help...

• Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Nick, you stepped in it. I made the mistake of dissing J-Lo in Shawn's presence. He's a maniac and he loves her...you're toast. You're own your own, pal. Wish I could help...

I remember I started this rebuttal thread comparing song lyrics and fashions.... ah good times (whapita, etc).

Oh

SHE AINT NO SKANK!

• Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

I remember I started this rebuttal thread comparing song lyrics and fashions.... ah good times (whapita, etc).

Oh

SHE AINT NO SKANK!

I wasn't aware you liked those older women so much Shawn. Experienced too. When I thought of your dream girl, twice divorced 32 year olds didn't pop into my brain for some reason.

How is your poor girlfriend taking this obsession? Is she pondering butt implants? Seeing J-Lo and that picture you posted in the hottest thread, we all know you are a butt man.

Nick, Mick, Rick, and Sam