Macs and video CDs

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've recently begun using Toast Titanium 5.2.1 to burn video CDs. My problem is that the burned CD plays just fine in a DVD player but I can't see an image on the computer. Do I have to do some extra steps or is something going wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Try playing them back in Video Lan Client: it's behaved just fine with a whole season of John Doe VCDs a buddy burnt for me.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    I was under the impression that Quicktime (for both Mac and Windows) could play back Video CDs.... If not, can DVD Player be made to display the movie?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    No in both cases: that's why things like VLC exist.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    QT for Mac OS 9 can play VCDs. QT for Mac OS X can play the movie files from VCDs if they are first copied to the hard drive. OS X is somehow unable to read a VCD on its own. Programs like VLC have figured out how to make this work.

I haven't tried it but I think you could also run Virtual PC in OS X and use it to copy the movie files to the HD then you could play them back wth QT.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    So Quicktime for OS 9 could and Quicktime for OS X can't; what about Quicktime for Windows?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    No idea. I don't use windows much.