Printing over a network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok so here it is, I'm not great at networking and all that jazz but I do know how to use a computer fairly well. But my problem is that I do not know how to print to my hp officejet 6110 all-in-one printer. I went to the website and it is supposed to work for OS X and I can print to it from USB but not over the network. I've tried IP printing too but I just cant seem to get it working. Also I dont know if this matters but im the only mac on the network. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Logan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    any ideas?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    To use IP printing, you will need a print server of some kind. What kind do you have?

From what I've seen on the website, there is only a USB port to connect to. (No ethernet.)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Yeah, I have a Hawking Print Server/adapter, all the winblows computers on my network can print through IP, im just having trouble doing it with my mac.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    help???
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Sorry logan. I don't know if I can help anymore. The only problems I had with my print server were messing up the IP address, and misspelling the queue name. (I put "ip" instead of "lp") Some of the models I saw supported appletalk which could be used instead of IPP, but then again some versions don't.

Try this. And you probably DO need a queue name. Commonly "lp" or if you have a 3-printer server, "lp1" "lp2" "lp3", or something like that.

8)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Ok well i found out my printer (HP OfficeJet all-in-one) does not support appletalk, but where can i get the queue names? my manual does not give any.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Use "lp" for single port print servers

Use "lp1"/"lp2"/"lp3" for multiple port print srevers

EDIT: All lowercase. it is case senstitive.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    awesome thanks! i got it working thanks a lot Ebby
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Yeeee Haaaaaaa!!

*throws cowboy hat in air*