15GB Small Review

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Not sure if I should start a new thread so I here is my take on a new 15GB:

Background, had first 5GB, then upgraded to 10GB slimmer model when they came out.

I suggest you go out now and buy one of these. So much better than my old 10GB. I was surprised of how much smaller it was compared to my old 10.

Love:
  • Size, Size, Size!

• New Buttons (Easy to accidently hit buttons. ie I can simply rub across my shirt, and they start clicking) Press the and hold the menu button and the cool backlight works.

• Screen (Much Better Contrast)

• Software Box (Says Enjoy on the Face of it..how cool)

• Did I mention the size? I am still amazed of how much smaller/lighter it is.

• You can listen to music while the iPod is plugged into the firewire port now. I do not remember being able to this before.

• Dock: When I first picked it up I was expecting it to be light as a feather, but It is very heavy so that it will not tip over. Very nice.

Gripes:
  • Metal Backing: Still picks up prints, and would easily scratch. I wish they would offer a plastic backing for those who want to carry it without a case.

Well that is all I have for now. I will have some pics up this afternoon.

**EDIT** When you scroll through a song/book it now displays progress bars.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Post some pics as soon as you can..and also test out the battery....see how long you can go befor it quits as i am holding off geting one as 8 hours or less kind of sucks....

Frank_t
  • Reply 2 of 32
    bperkinsbperkins Posts: 110member
    Frank,

I will post some pictures this afternoon or tonight, and I will let you know how the battery does then too, b/c I will be listening to it the rest of the day.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Once you start listening you can always lock the buttons with the slider at the top of the unit I guess!
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Finally loaded some pictures. By the way I thought it would be cute to have my 11 month old daughter hold the iPod for a couple of shots...bad idea. First thing she did was put it in her mouth, and her teeth scratched the front. Newman!!

New iPod Pics

• Reply 5 of 32
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bperkins

Finally loaded some pictures. By the way I thought it would be cute to have my 11 month old daughter hold the iPod for a couple of shots...bad idea. First thing she did was put it in her mouth, and her teeth scratched the front. Newman!!

New iPod Pics

Nice pics! The iPod is so small compared to the original it's amazing. And you're WAY more trusting than I would be. My kid would never get to put the iPod in his mouth.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    thanks for the photos!!...do you still have the 10g iPod?? so we can see them side by side??

g
  • Reply 7 of 32
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    My biggest gripe with my new 15gigger is that less than 14gigs are available for music. ?!?!?!? Arrrgh. My old 5gig only had 400MB or so taken up by system software and whatever. I wish I can delete the games to free up some space.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chromos

My biggest gripe with my new 15gigger is that less than 14gigs are available for music. ?!?!?!? Arrrgh. My old 5gig only had 400MB or so taken up by system software and whatever. I wish I can delete the games to free up some space.

its not system software, its formatting... that isnt too bad, only get about 18.6 with the 20 gig...
  • Reply 9 of 32
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Wow, great pictures! Thanks for posting them... but another request to see your old 10 next to the new 15 (if you still have it)

By the way, but is it me or does the backlight on the iPod look brighter than on your Powerbook!
  • Reply 10 of 32
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Well did you test out the battery? how long did it go for befor it went dead?

Frank_t
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

New iPod Pics

Very cool pictures, Brad!
  • Reply 12 of 32
    alexanderalexander Posts: 206member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

its not system software, its formatting... that isnt too bad, only get about 18.6 with the 20 gig...

It's not formatting, it's the way hard drives are now advertised with "fake" gigabytes. (This is why they have to have that disclaimer: "1GB = 1 billion bytes")

1 "hard drive" GB= 1,000,000,000 bytes (1 billion)

1 "computer" GB= 1,073,741,824 bytes (2^30)

20 billion/2^30 ~= 18.626

Software and indices are probably negligible, couple dozen megs at most.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander

It's not formatting, it's the way hard drives are now advertised with "fake" gigabytes. (This is why they have to have that disclaimer: "1GB = 1 billion bytes")

same difference... thats what i meant
  • Reply 14 of 32
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

wtf thats gay! i thougth HD's were that much smaller because of the space for the directories and stuff

filthy bastards

eh ok i'm done now i understand
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

thanks for the photos!!...do you still have the 10g iPod?? so we can see them side by side??

g

Thanks for your patience. I loaded up some new ones that compare the old 10GB (slim model) vs new 15GB with 2 CD jewel cases. Funny thing is the new 15 is actually slimmer than the 2 cases as Steve pointed out. Maybe he meant the new 30 was the same as 2 CD jewel cases. Check them out.

• Reply 16 of 32
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Thanks for your patience. I loaded up some new ones that compare the old 10GB (slim model) vs new 15GB with 2 CD jewel cases. Funny thing is the new 15 is actually slimmer than the 2 cases as Steve pointed out. Maybe he meant the new 30 was the same as 2 CD jewel cases. Check them out.

He did say thinner...
  • Reply 17 of 32
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Hi Brad

I was wondering about the size of the navigation wheel of the new v. old iPod. I assume they are the same, but I haven't seen them side-by-side and the buttons on the old version made the wheel seem bigger than it probably was.

Could you also take pictures of the front with the wheel, buttons and screen visible?

danke
  • Reply 18 of 32
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

It's not so much "hard drive" vs. "computer"... It's marketing's decimal-based GB vs. the geeky binary GB.

I'm not sure if the bit rates for audio files, such as 128Kbits/second, are normally given using 1000-bit Kbits or 1024-bit Kbits.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    alexanderalexander Posts: 206member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

It's not so much "hard drive" vs. "computer"... It's marketing's decimal-based GB vs. the geeky binary GB.

I'm not sure if the bit rates for audio files, such as 128Kbits/second, are normally given using 1000-bit Kbits or 1024-bit Kbits.

You're right, I didn't mean to make it sound like there was something special about hard drives. How much fits on one is pretty arbtrary anyway, it'd be nice if they used the same conventions.

Pretty much anything involving an SI prefix (kilo, mega, giga) and bits or bytes will use multiples of 1024. It just makes a lot more sense in the computer world.

At any rate, it's causing me quite a dilemma...I have about 17gigs of music, but reeaaaallly like the slimness of the 15GB model over the 30GB model. I might be able to slim it down to 15, but 14 is gonna be a real pain. :/

Shame you can't have it all.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Pretty much anything involving an SI prefix (kilo, mega, giga) and bits or bytes will use multiples of 1024. It just makes a lot more sense in the computer world.

The computer world exists within the same world as everything else, and SI prefixes are powers of 10. It would be utterly illogical to assume a gigabyte is anything other than 1000000000 bytes. They can use binary all they want, but not with SI prefixes. ISO agrees.