First Democratic Presidential Candidate Debate May 3

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Get ready, tomorrow's the big day when the major Democratic presidential candidates debate on the issues. It should be very interesting as major differences between the candidates should become clear.

It's 9 PM EST and will air on ABC after nighttime news. It will also be broadcast on C-Span Sunday. Since C-Span will cover it, there will be an archived stream of the debate available online by Sunday or Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Lieberman is leading right now according to CNN.

Quote:

The race in South Carolina is wide open, according to results of a poll this week by the American Research Group, an independent polling firm.

Almost half of the Democrats surveyed said they were undecided.

Only one candidate, Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, who has strong name recognition from being Al Gore's running mate in 2000, scored in double digits, at 19 percent.

Rep. Dick Gephardt of Missouri was the choice of 9 percent, followed by Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, at 8 percent and Edwards, at 7 percent.

Each of the remaining candidates -- Graham, Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, former Illinois Sen. Carol Moseley-Braun and Al Sharpton -- tallied less than 5 percent.

Hopefully Dean and Al Sharpton will cream the rest in the debate tonight and get some name recognition.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Initial reports on the debate. ABC decided not the air the debate live for some reason. C-SPAN will have the stream of the whole thing tomorrow.

Some highlights:

Quote:

Moderator George Stephanopoulos focused initially on Bush's decision to order U.S. forces to lead a coalition to disarm Iraq and oust Saddam Hussein. He highlighted former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean's statement earlier in the day that Saddam really wasn't much of a threat to the country.

Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut took issue with that assessment. "Saddam Hussein was a threat to the United States and, most particularly, to his neighbors," Lieberman said. "We did the right thing in fighting this fight, and the American people will be safer as a result of it."

But Al Sharpton argued that "we could have disarmed Hussein by working with the United Nations."

And,

Quote:

"I think if we're going to win this election, we cannot be Bush-lite," said Gephardt, the former House Democratic leader from Missouri. "We can't come along and say, 'Well, I'll keep half the Bush tax cut, or I'll keep three quarters of the Bush tax cut. The Bush tax cuts have failed. They are not making the economy better, they are not helping people get jobs, they're not covering anybody with health insurance."

And,

Quote:

"No Democrat will be elected president in 2004 who is not strong on defense, and this war was a test of that strength," Lieberman said.

More,

Quote:

"The way to move a donkey is to slap the donkey," Sharpton, warming up for the debate, told delegates at the state party convention Saturday afternoon. "I'm going to slap the donkey until the donkey kicks and we are going to kick George Bush out of the White House."

And something light hearted,

Quote:

When Stephanopoulos asked Lieberman if he's too nice to take on Bush, Lieberman responded, "I'd like to come over there and strangle you, George." But then said a candidate doesn't "have to be a screamer to be tough."

• Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Hopefully Dean and Al Sharpton will cream the rest in the debate tonight and get some name recognition.

why? sharpton has plenty of name recognition, unfortunately for him, it tends to be fairly negative outside much of the black community. i can't say i followed him much of late, he seems to be to much of an political opportunist for my taste and i question his qualifications and motives. yeah, i know, who isn't these days. i just can't see him as being a leader that the country could unite behind. to much of a devisive past.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I watched the debate today on C-Span. Eh. There's a good reason why ABC didn't air it. It will get more interesting later when people feel they're losing and start to get desperate.

I still think Lieberman has the best strategic message. I believe he's the only one who has unequivocally supported the war, and he wrote the Homeland Security law that the Republicans used to bash Democrats in 2002. He can neutralize Bush's strengths and therefore have the opportunity to go after Bush's weaknesses. And he should appeal to moderates much better than Bush.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    C-Span is streaming it right now.

http://www.c-span.org/watch/index.asp?cat=tv&code=cs
  • Reply 7 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I watched the debate today on C-Span. Eh. There's a good reason why ABC didn't air it. It will get more interesting later when people feel they're losing and start to get desperate.

I still think Lieberman has the best strategic message. I believe he's the only one who has unequivocally supported the war, and he wrote the Homeland Security law that the Republicans used to bash Democrats in 2002. He can neutralize Bush's strengths and therefore have the opportunity to go after Bush's weaknesses. And he should appeal to moderates much better than Bush.

* I agree

Nick
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Is it me or did Bob Graham seem a little inarticulate and look like he afraid for his life?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    A full broadband streamed archive of the debate is now available at C-Span .

http://www.c-span.org/videoarchives....Code=Vote_2004