Anyone been on queue on a Matrix Scheme?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As some of you may know, there are several ads on EBay requesting people to join a Matrix scheme to get say a Powermac G4 for $250 new. Hence, if 25 people are ahead of you then you'd have to wait for approximately 300 people to sign up (dual 1.42 model at $2500 with a 20% profit for the scheme operator). Anyone tried this? This sounds like on of those "If it's too good too be true then ..." it is sort of things.

Kompressor

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    of course it's a scam.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Use your noggin.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I realise that it is precariously silly to plunk down $250.00 on some promise of receiving a PM 1.42 maybe 6 months down the line but it appears that the math does work as long as the scheme continuously brings people in. The only thing is, as stupid as it sounds, some people swear that they've received their products. Hence, at the risk of inviting further scorn and ridicule, does anyone else know of people's experience with these things? Did all of them get burned? Did some actually recieve what they ordered?

Kompressor
  • Reply 4 of 11
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    pyramid schemes usually have a couple of people who started it actually making out well, with thousands who lose out... if you start it, or get in quick, you maybe o.k.... except that they are illegal in most states (if not all).... and are also morally abhorrent since they rely on many people losing their money so a few can get money....

g
  • Reply 5 of 11
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Most of these pyramid programs are a real ripoff. Suppose each node in the tree needs 10 branches beneath them to get the payoff. The founder only needs to recruit 10 people into the program. The 11th member needs 100 people to join after him. The 111th member needs 1000 more people to join. So waiting for the membership to increase nearly 10-fold after you join becomes impractical pretty quick.

Another problem is that members very rarely directly benefit from their own recruitment efforts. All the new members get put into the tree in order. So people lose what little optimism they had to begin with.

I actually joined one of these programs at the end of the 'get paid to surf the internet' era. It was the only one with unbalanced growth, so me and people under me started making a little bank, but all the ad companies dried up.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Remember how those rampant pyramid scams destroyed the entire economy of Albania a few years back? We're all smarter than Albanians, aren't we?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kompressor

I realise that it is precariously silly to plunk down $250.00 on some promise of receiving a PM 1.42 maybe 6 months down the line but it appears that the math does work as long as the scheme continuously brings people in.

Unless it runs forever, the last people in line will always lose money.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Remember how those rampant pyramid scams destroyed the entire economy of Albania a few years back? We're all smarter than Albanians, aren't we?

IIRC, those Albanian Ponzi schemes were government initiated too!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Read about the history of the Ponzi Scheme Kompressor and see how it works. Save your $250 and start warning people off of this trainwreck. The gullibility of humankind is something that never ceases to amaze me, the ability of the wolves to take the sheep moreso....what kind of assholes have the balls and the lack of conscience to pull this stunt? I know a guy who leaps into every whack-ass scheme around. I think there's a physiological problem that makes certain people so susceptible to the idea of something-for-nothing.

Yeah...we're all SO different from Albanians. For instance, we live in different countries, and then.....well, that's about the only difference really.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Thanks for the feedback. Got to admit it was tempting until one realises that:

1. IT IS ILLEGAL in most states

2. You have to get in early to have any chance of receiving anything.

3. And of course, point number 2 means that the late joiners lose out BIG TIME!

Kompressor
  • Reply 11 of 11
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    its not a scam ...

Its just really hard to get one if you are further down the list

Second its illegal to sell information packets and URLs on ebay.