Putting a large itunes library on an external hard drive

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
How do you do it?I can't find a good answer anywhere.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tsk77

How do you do it?I can't find a good answer anywhere.

It depends on exactly what you want to do. If you just want to store songs there that are already encoded, just move the folder and tell iTunes where to find them. Make sure you have "keep iTunes music folder organized" OFF if you want to store songs in different locations. If you want to have all your songs on that drive, including ones you import, you'd do best to change the default location of your music folder to that drive/folder. You do this in iTunes prefs/advanced. Once you do that, you can check the keep music organized because it'll make it more convenient for you down the road. Does that make sense? I can post screenies if you need them.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    just take your entire itunes music folder from your home directory and drag and drop it over. that is basically it.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

It depends on exactly what you want to do. If you just want to store songs there that are already encoded, just move the folder and tell iTunes where to find them. Make sure you have "keep iTunes music folder organized" OFF if you want to store songs in different locations. If you want to have all your songs on that drive, including ones you import, you'd do best to change the default location of your music folder to that drive/folder. You do this in iTunes prefs/advanced. Once you do that, you can check the keep music organized because it'll make it more convenient for you down the road. Does that make sense? I can post screenies if you need them.

makes sense to me then again i know how to do it
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Digital Hub

Discussion of digital peripherals and the iApps, including iLife.

Moving there now.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    If you go into iTunes preferences, under Advanced, you can tell iTunes that you want to store your music folder on the external drive. That should work just fine so long as you always intend to have that drive attached before running iTunes, and quit iTunes before removing the drive.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    You know, now that I think about it, if you change your default location in the prefs to that HD and keep the "keep library organized" option checked, it will PROBABLY move it for you. I think... I'd try, but, nah.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    tsk77tsk77 Posts: 14member
    Well,I copied all my mp3 & AAC files to the external hard drive.They are there.

Now when I try play to play a song it says it can't be played becuase"the original file could not be found.Would you like to locate it?"I click yes,find the file on the external drive and it starts to play.

I went to advanced and selected the external drive as the new location but they don't play.

How do I skip finding all the files?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    go into prefs, then click advanced. for location click browse, then select the itunes music folder and hit okay. that should clear things up for you.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    confirmedconfirmed Posts: 74member
    i've found the best way to do this is to create an Alias of the Music folder on the external drive and place it where the original Music folder was. just make sure the alias is called Music, and you should be all set.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Whoo hooo!!

It's working now!I moved the files,changed the location in advanced itunes preferences,copied the itunes folder w/ libraries to the ext. HD.

Then quit itunes and deleted the itunes music folders on the mac HD.Restarted itunes (nothing in the genre/artist/albumn-0songs,0gigs)

and went to File add to library..Found the new itunes folder.

5495songs,20.57 gigs playing off the ext. HD!

More to come!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Whoops.

Thank you,thank you,thank you all very much!

I hope this thead helps others too.

Now time for some Adult Swim on the Cartoon network.