Help! Absolute disaster trying to print labels

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Man, I must be an idiot, but I can not figure this out.

I'm just trying to print up a batch of return address labels in AppleWorks, and simply can't do it. AppleWorks Help has been absolutely no help. Is there an easier program I can use?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    What's the problem? Can't generate the file or can't print it? I have noticed problems with AW aligning data properly in the printout. Whenever I try this my wife looks at me with scorn tells me to use Quark.

In VersionTracker I found this freeware program. Haven't tried it yet.

pearLabelizer
  • Reply 2 of 5
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    Thanks, I'll give that one a try. I was able to get it done using a program called iLabel, but it wasn't ideal either.

With AppleWorks, I couldn't even get to the data-entry point. It wanted me to input data from somewhere else (spreadsheet, database) when all I wanted to do was type addresses into a label-sized window and then print. iLable did let me do that, but had some user-unfriendliness.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    seems like you were overcomplicating the matter a bit.

Instead of trying to use the automated label script (getting addys from a db) just make a new document and do "page setup" to make it the same size as your labels.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gargoyle

seems like you were overcomplicating the matter a bit.

Instead of trying to use the automated label script (getting addys from a db) just make a new document and do "page setup" to make it the same size as your labels.

But I had 10 labels to do, all different addresses. Would that have worked? Wouldn't it have wanted to print each label in the same spot - i.e., I'd have had to use 10 label sheets of 10 each to print out one label per sheet. iLabel at least let me specify WHICH label to print on per sheet, so I was able to use 1 sheet (but had to do the printing one label at a time - print a label, reinsert the same label sheet, print another lable, etc).
  • Reply 5 of 5
    alaskan66alaskan66 Posts: 47member
    In Appleworks:

1.Open a new database document

2.Define one field, call it address

(You can define multiple fields for name, street #, etc. if you prefer but you will have to lay them all out later)

3.Make a new layout using the proper Avery size, or custom size, make sure to include the address field in that layout

4.View in Layout mode to change the size of the Address field

5.Go back to Browse mode

6.Create one record for each of your ten records, using the "New Record" command.

7.Select Page View to see how it will look

8.Go back to Layout view to see if you need to adjust the size or position of the address field.

Print away.

What size are your labels?

\