Will ever be i****v2 in APPLE's future ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001548"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001548</a>;

By the way,

What do you think about oqo's computer ?

<a href="http://www.oqo.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.oqo.com/</a>;

Don't you think it look a lot like iPod ?

I miss them so much .....

Let's have wild dream......

Put 6 inch TFT-LCD and Mac OS X lite, instead of Win XP.....

Will it work like this ?

<a href="http://nexio.zaigen.co.kr/nexio/showroom.jsp"; target="_blank">http://nexio.zaigen.co.kr/nexio/showroom.jsp</a>;

i**** v2 ? Long live i**** v2 !

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: kormac77 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    kormac77kormac77 Posts: 197member
    Sorry. It is all Korean.

This is what it is.

Samsung Electronics to Introduce NEXiO

LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 8, 2002--At the International Consumer Electronics Show, Samsung Electronics will unveil its Wireless Hand PC NEXiO S150 - the first in a series of Wireless Hand PCs that has just been launched in Korea.

This first of its kind device combines the power of a handheld computing device with the capability of anytime, anywhere access to the Internet. With the launch of this new product category, Samsung is recognizing the need for today's mobile world to have access to the rich information that is always available on the Internet. No longer is it acceptable to wait for key information, or to be required to view needed information through restrictive formats.

With the NEXiO S150, users will be able to view the Internet through a 5.1`` reflective LCD screen with a WVGA (800 x 480) resolution that recreates a desktop viewing experience. With its built-in wireless cdma2000 module, the Internet is available 24/7 to mobile users at speeds that exceed today's traditional landline access capabilities.

Samsung is on the leading edge of an industry that is working to combine the power of next generation wireless networks with the portability and ease-of-use of handheld devices. As the 3G networks as described by the wireless industry continue to be rolled-out, Samsung will be positioned as a leader in offering devices that respond to the needs of all categories of users.

The NEXiO S150 is based on the WinCE platform which provides a flexible operating system that can support a wide variety of devices

developed for specific markets. Combined with applications ranging from PocketWord, a spreadsheet and various e-mail capabilities, the NEXiO S150 can be a serious business tool for communications, yet still provide access to great content available through wireless networks.

The NEXiO S150 also introduces a VGA port to allow presentations to be given directly from the device. Using the NEXiO S150, being away from the office no longer means having to rely on a notebook computer for e-mail and presentation capabilities - the NEXiO S150 has all the functions one needs when away from the office for a quick trip.

A USB port is also built in to facilitate connections to a mouse, keyboard, memory card or other peripherals and expand the ways that the NEXiO S150 can be utilized. Currently available options include a global positioning system for automobile navigation, a 300,000-pixel digital camera, and a wireless LAN module that can transmit data at up to 11Mbps.

With its embedded cdma2000 1x module, the NEXiO S150 can utilize the built-in personal information manager (PIM) to track important personal meetings and tasks, look up phone numbers, and even make voice calls directly from the device. A notepad application allows notes to be tied to particular conversations, as well as producing longer messages that can be delivered through wireless networks to the intended user.

The NEXiO S150 also comes with applications geared towards personal entertainment. These applications include an e-book reader, an MP-3 player and games. Plus, with the Windows CE platform, additional applications are being developed every day.

Samsung's Wireless Hand PC is designed to provide mobile online access anytime and anyplace. The product lineup will encompass options and built-in features that enable selective use of wireless cellular networks or wireless LANs, thereby satisfying diverse needs.

Although the product that is being demonstrated at the Consumer

Electronics Show is only available in Korea, Samsung Electronics is evaluating the market potential for a device in the United States that satisfies the mobile needs in this country. As details for a US product are developed, additional information will be provided.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    [quote]Originally posted by kormac77:

<strong>

By the way,

What do you think about oqo's computer ?

<a href="http://www.oqo.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.oqo.com/</a>;

Don't you think it look a lot like iPod ?

I miss them so much .....

Let's have wild dream......

Put 6 inch TFT-LCD and Mac OS X lite, instead of Win XP.....

Will it work like this ?

<a href="http://nexio.zaigen.co.kr/nexio/showroom.jsp"; target="_blank">http://nexio.zaigen.co.kr/nexio/showroom.jsp</a>;

i**** v2 ? Long live i**** v2 !

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: kormac77 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

How about this for a guess. Could Kormac actually have been an Apple employee. He was always discussing the small handheld products and he did have some good information. He could have been designing products inside Apple that were never given the green light for production but was trying to push for them on the rumor boards. He might have recently left to help design the OQO he keeps pushing above. It was supposedly designed by the team that designed the tiBook.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    apple.otakuapple.otaku Posts: 590member
    I think I see a vein bulging on Matsu's forhead...
  • Reply 4 of 41
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kurt:

<strong>

How about this for a guess. Could Kormac actually have been an Apple employee. He was always discussing the small handheld products and he did have some good information. He could have been designing products inside Apple that were never given the green light for production but was trying to push for them on the rumor boards. He might have recently left to help design the OQO he keeps pushing above. It was supposedly designed by the team that designed the tiBook.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No. As I've pointed out numerous times, Kormac76/7 most likely has ties to the display industry and/or semi-official ties to the Korean government kind of. That is, he has official duties that put US companies in touch with enterprising Korean companies. His location is suspect, though. But he always posts his initial posts from 4 to 6 am (board time), it appears. He has all but confirmed these suspicions with replies to my posts regarding this.

NEVER WAS AN APPLE EMPLOYEE and my have never even been to Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    YES. JRC. You are right in last part!

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: kormac77 ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 41
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    His location is suspect?
  • Reply 7 of 41
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    We all know it is possible for apple to make a kick-butt pda. The issue is will they.

Hope springs eternal, but Apple will never be last to the party (i.e. imitating another high-profile manufacturer). So, they will have to have another technology in place (perhaps this is bluetooth) to actually release one, or tey already would have.

Where is Fran?

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 8 of 41
    allenallen Posts: 84member
    Come on Kormac. The Samsung nexio is interesting. But we want to hear about the future Apple products. Is the i****v2 real? What will it do? When will it be released?

Time to liven up these boards.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    kormac77: Wouldn't the NEXiO and the OQO be i**** v.1? I seem to remember that i*** v.1 was PDA size and i**** v.2 was larger with some sort of keyboard like the eMate.

OQO or NEXiO would certainly be very nice if they ran Mac OS X instead of some other junky OSs. Even if handwriting recognition is vastly improved, typing is still much faster than writing by hand. I would still like a built-in keyboard. What about e****, Kormac? My iBook is still too heavy.

Welcome back, Kormac!

Escher

[ 05-01-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 41
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    "Will there ever be i****v2 in Apple's future?"

No.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>His location is suspect?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Kormac is most certainly located where he says to be located.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>

Kormac is most certainly located where he says to be located.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I meant at any ONE time. I suspect that part of his duties may at one time in the past, present or future, find him travelling. Not saying his POSTS originate from any one spot or not. Just that a man in (well, could be a SHE I guess) his position would find himself travelling or the opportunity to travel.

So, location of Kormac at any one time is unknown. This could explain his long absences as well to some extent. Especially if he wishes to ALWAYS have a particular IP so as not to give away any travel locations that could be used to triangulate onto his actual identity.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    how successful have any devices like these been??

NOT AT ALL

let it go. no more niche devices/computers. they always fail
  • Reply 14 of 41
    [quote]Originally hollered by Max8319:

how successful have any devices like these been??

NOT AT ALL

let it go. no more niche devices/computers. they always fail<hr></blockquote>

Like the iPod?

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 15 of 41
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think they would say MP3 is VERY mainstream. Not exactly a niche, even for mac users.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Kormac .... What's up with the i****v2?
  • Reply 17 of 41
    To allen:

Hmmm.... It has been a long time ago.

According to my source at the time,Apple has some mockup and working concept prototype which use regular size of desktop PowerPC.

I think the basic concept has been changed several time during past and it is still in the R&D, if not in the production line.

The actual product making is depend on sales and marketing & Decision of STEVE JOBS.

As you could see it from iPod & oqo's computer, the required technology exist now.

The technology like small efficient embedded PowerPC,faster wireless ethernet, Bluetooth and small hardisk which can hold more than 20GB is here for mass production.

At the time when I was talked about it, it was possible but the cost should be 10~20 time higher than what can be now.

The i****v1 is still work with Palm and I have no idea how Palm is doing with that.

However, I wish to see the i****v2 come out from APPLE this year.

Because, if Apple does not do that, There will be no time to make it to survive in new market.

Just look at the Playstation vs X-box.

I wish ......
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Interesting, Kormac. What is your take on the "*Pod" concept. That the iPod is just the first of a series of pods designed to be component type computers. Handheld when undocked, desk top when docked?

Any rumors on Apple seeking manufacturers or components ( displays, cases) that might fit this idea?
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Good question, Allen.

The specs of this little thingamajig seem to be much unchanged from what was guessed at a long time ago, except for size:

G3 (400 mhz?)

10GB HD

5x7 tablet-input on display

USB/Ethernet/Firewire

Airport/bluetooth??

The issue, again, is how one will get mobile internet access on this thing.

\tIt can not come via airport, so perhaps via bluetooth? It was rumored that Apple is supposedly supporting NYC with a next-generation wireless network (is this now a debunked rumor?), which might play into this, but without large infrastructure changes, it is going to be difficult to create some sort of standard for nationwide deployment.

The problem will come down to standards. SJ does not want a "web JR" experience, so how does one get full internet capabilities without high-speed infrastructure? Earthlink has just made its satellite service more affordable and available, so perhaps this is the answer?

Hope springs eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 20 of 41
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    the market for the ipod is not a niche market....mp3's and mp3 players are wide spread.....far from a niche market