internal modem turned into something useful?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
any way to mod the modem on my PB into a USB or ethernet port? i will never use it as a modem...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

any way to mod the modem on my PB into a USB or ethernet port? i will never use it as a modem...

haha i've never heard of such a thing...EVER!

but it would be cool if u could i'll admit
  • Reply 2 of 17
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    never say never.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Like a little phonejack powered bluetooth adaptor? It would use a cell phone to make a call on old macs and laptops.

Never thought about it. Kinda funny.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

never say never.

i didn't say its not possible or there isnt a hack to do it (although i doubt it)

i'm just saying i NEVER heard of doing that

it would be cool if you could though...but it wouldn't be fast enough for USB...perhaps serial
  • Reply 5 of 17
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    I wish there was a Stealth Serial Port for the PowerBook.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    ast3r3x: i was saying that in reference to Paul's post that he never used/will need to use the modem port
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

ast3r3x: i was saying that in reference to Paul's post that he never used/will need to use the modem port

oh i was confused...for some reason i thought u were talking to me since i said never and he didn't
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

oh i was confused...for some reason i thought u were talking to me since i said never and he didn't

actually, he did say never...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    f*** it...thats i have been so...not observative today at all
  • Reply 10 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think it would be really cool if you could just connect your computer to a phone jack through the modem port and then use the modem like a telephone to call people. You got a built in microphone, and built in speakers... why not? It would be just like dialup internet except you'd be talking with a person rather than an internet connection line thingie (I don't know what it's called, it's been years since I've had to put up with a modem!).
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I think it would be really cool if you could just connect your computer to a phone jack through the modem port and then use the modem like a telephone to call people. You got a built in microphone, and built in speakers... why not? It would be just like dialup internet except you'd be talking with a person rather than an internet connection line thingie (I don't know what it's called, it's been years since I've had to put up with a modem!).

heheh. i was going that 9 years ago on my old 7100/66 with the Geoport Telecom Adapter. ah, those were the days...
  • Reply 12 of 17
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

never say never.

I have a cell phone that i can use as a modem over USB... it can send and recieve faxes... it will always be with me when i have my laptop... I will never use my internal modem (not that I am saying i want to destroy it in the process either... it just seems like a waste sitting there... a bt adapter would be ideal... especially if they could get it small enough so that it would be flush with the back of the screen on my Ti... although it would be better to have something that I could use on my later machines (which I assume will have BT internally)...
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Paul: point taken.

that said, i believe the modem jack opening is too small to be of much use to anything. USB and Ethernet jacks are both larger than the phone jack. unless you had something that hung outside the machine, but that would sort of defeat the purpose.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    good point... what about a phone--> ethenet adapter cable and some fancy software... would that work?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

good point... what about a phone--> ethenet adapter cable and some fancy software... would that work?

i don't think that would quite work... but, at that point, you might as well gte yourself a cheap ethernet card and throw it in the pc card slot
  • Reply 16 of 17
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Hell, I would settle for a simple answering machine app. I have looked, but haven't found anything. Since I am trying to learn Cocoa, maybe this could be one of my first apps...