UN looted

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The UN was looted on Friday. I think this exemplifies the UN. What a useless organization.

Food Fight

When the Food Workers Union stages an impromptu walkout at the U.N., the diplomats start looting for lunch and booze

Quote:

Hunger pains can apparently turn even the most upstanding diplomat into a looter. At noon on Friday, food workers at the U.N. headquarters walked off their jobs, calling a wildcat strike. The result: none of the U.N.'s five restaurants and bars was staffed. The walkout left thousands of U.N. employees scrounging for lunch ? eventually, the masses stripped the cafeterias of everything, including the silverware.

What a pack of ****ing douche bags.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member

i kept expecting to see "The Onion" at the top of that article.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Freedom's untidy, and free people are free to make mistakes and commit crimes and do bad things. They're also free to live their lives and do wonderful things. And that's what's going to happen here.

Stuff happens.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    You guys still talking about the UN? That is so last decade.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

You guys still talking about the UN? That is so last decade.

Outsider! Where the hell have you been?

And what the hell is that thing in your sig? Should we start calling you "The poster formerly known as Outsider?"
  • Reply 5 of 12
    That would have been a better story if tha poleece had showed up and then Kofi Annan had busted out with his UN I.D. in one hand and a frappacino in the other and then cackled, "Diplomatic Immunity" but then Danny Glover could have busted a cap in his ass and thereby revoked his diplomatic immunity. See, that would have been good. But no, they had to make it just like real life and not a movie and so the rich and powerful scumbuckets gets aways wit they thieverys. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry almost as badly as that South African diplomat secretary blonde chick that he banged in the trailer made me want to visit South Africa.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    That's disgraceful. Horribly, incredibly disgraceful. If they weren't all diplomats, they'd've been thrown in jail. Like there's really a shortage of places to go out for lunch in Manhattan? My alma mater's put up with a couple of dining hall strikes in the last few years. Did the students think "whoohoo! time to raid the booze!"? Um, no. Most twelve year olds would at least hesitate before looting the place. Yet these are the people we're supposed to entrust with running the world?

The worst part is I helped pay for 25% of all that lifted silverware. Well, not a whole heck of a lot of it, but it's the principle. :P
  • Reply 7 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I for one blame the United States. Had they just parked on tank in front of the food court this whole disaster would have been avoided
  • Reply 8 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I for one blame the United States. Had they just parked on tank in front of the food court this whole disaster would have been avoided

Tanks are not good to eat.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

THat's the funniest post I've seen in months.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

No....But its nice to say "Tanks" & "pass de a salt Rifle if you pleeze"....after all we're civilized Dip-Lo-Mats.!

Ain't we ?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Outsider! Where the hell have you been?

And what the hell is that thing in your sig? Should we start calling you "The poster formerly known as Outsider?"

I was laid off from my job and haven't felt like posting too much but I think i'm getting back in the grove. And that thing is supposed to be an Apple sign (shift-option-K) but in anything but safari it looks like crap. Ah well!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

And that thing is supposed to be an Apple sign (shift-option-K) but in anything but safari it looks like crap. Ah well!

What you've got there is a one-byte character with a value of 240 (hex F0). In most cases that's going to be interpreted as a small "eth"... useful if you happen to be writing something in Icelandic.

You should only expect that character to come out as an Apple symbol if the web page containing the character proclaims its encoding to be MacRoman, or if you specified the appropriate entity (if there is one!). Even then, it's not likely to show up correctly on a Linux or Windows box.

AppleInsider pages don't seem to specify an encoding (tsk, tsk!). I'd say Safari has it wrong if it assumes MacRoman by default -- ISO 8879 makes more sense if no encoding is provided.