Flash Flood: How Do I Save My Car??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yup, the spot I parked in was a miniature lake when I got back to it tonight. There were at least 2" of water in the floorboard of the car all the way around. I bailed it out with a big drink cup then managed to get it home before the "check engine" light came on.

I'm not sure what the various problems could be with the engine, but I need to find out what's happening there.

Also, how am I going to fight that stink-water smell that's soaked into the floorboard carpet?

The only silver-lining of sorts is that the car is 10 years old and I've been REALLY close to getting a new one lately. I'd planned to keep this one and if the damage is slight I will probably do that.

BUT, has anyone else here ever experienced this with your car and what are some good things that I should do to get it back in shape?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Maybe you left your lights on
  • Reply 2 of 22
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Maybe you left your lights on

• Reply 3 of 22
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Does your car insurance have any provisions for 'acts of God' (flood, fire, swarms of locusts, etc.)?

You'd be best to get the carpets out of the car as soon as possible, otherwise you're going to end up with a car with terminal mildew and mold - and the enduring smell associated with it. Anyone who owns an old convertible with a leaky roof can attest to that.

One of the guys I work with suggested finding a auto paint shop and asking them if they could put your car in the curing booth. Not sure how well that would work, but my co-worker seems to think it would dry out the car. I have my doubts, though, as for it to work you'd have to leave the windows open, and I suspect that you'd arrive back to find a car with a strangely melted dashboard.

If I were you, I'd:

1 - Pull the carpets immediately, and dry them as quickly as possible.

2 - Thoroughly dry all areas under the carpet, and clean those areas with some form of anti-fungal, anti-mildew stuff.

Not sure if you're going to be selling you car soon, but if I went to look at a car, and it smelled like mildew, I'd be outta there in a second.

Does the 'check engine' light come on today when you start the car?

Does the car even start? \
  • Reply 4 of 22
    It is never too late to be saved. If your car can accept Jesus into its life then the floormats will find salvation.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Change your oil ASAP. Ideally, this should have been done before the car was even started, but that's water under the bridge now.

Take it into a mechanic.

If you're unlucky enough to have this happen again, do not start the car. Have it towed to a mechanic. Trying to start a car engine filled with water can cause a lot of damage...blown cylinders, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Do you have comprehensive coverage on your auto insurance? If so, I'd see what they value the car at and work form there as to what you are going to do. It doesn't sound like you are wedded to the car, and even if you spend the money to repair it, you can't sell or trade it without disclosing the damage to it (unless you want to leave yourself open to a nice lawsuit).

It sucks, but I'd say if the insurance is even decent, take the money and run.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    How in God's name can you park somewhere, then come back to find 2 feet of water? Where do you live???

Your profile says Atlanta but there is no flood in Atlanta.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    He said 2 inches of water in the floorboards. That can happen pretty easily.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Sure you can sell it without disclosing the damage. It wasn't in a collision, or written off. DO NOT contact your insurance to file a claim, just try to find out what your coverage is.

It just got a little wet, that's all. I'm not even sure how two inches could have affected the engine? The air intakes are much higher. OKay, there's the tailpipes, and you might have warped the rotors. But unless there's a claim/accident, you're not on the hook to disclose anything. Get it dried out. It probably swallowed some water and it's fvcking up the intake, pumps yadda yadda. Depending on the year, the distributor might have cracked (if you have a distributor cap, they don't like to be submerged, and neither do some of the other electrical bits, though they should be sealed well enough on newer cars) lotsa little things. Probably shouldnaharunher untill the water drained away.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    You can do it, but do you want to have it turn around and fang you in the ass? It takes nothing for a future owner to come after you for not disclosing this information- even if you give the car to charity.

Scene 1: Buyer buys old beater car.

Scene 2: Buyer notices musty smell.

Scene 3: Buyer hooks up with the firm of Manson, Shyster and Ripper and comes after you and your insurance company with a suit for health damages due to toxic mold, backed up by the medical offices of I. M. Quack.

It's easier just to take the insurance money and run.

Disclosure Required

Quote:

Disclosure is required and arbitration shall be allowed under the following conditions:

The title has been correctly branded indicating flood history of the vehicle

Any of the following components have been damaged due to immersion:

Front or rear lighting or wiring harnesses

Engine and its major components

Transmission and differential

Dash instrument panel and wiring

Passenger seat cushions

Power seat or window motor

CD changer or other major sound system components

Disclosure of flood damage is required even if a vehicle is sold AS IS.

RECOMMENDED DISCLOSURES

The recommended disclosure is:

Flood Damage ? This declaration should be made whenever a condition exists indicating existing or repaired water/flood damage requiring disclosure. This vehicle should be sold AS IS. The declaration is required even if the vehicle is sold AS IS.

• Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Sure you can sell it without disclosing the damage. It wasn't in a collision, or written off. DO NOT contact your insurance to file a claim, just try to find out what your coverage is.

Must make sure never to buy anything from you.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Must make sure never to buy anything from you.

I'd definitely avoid anything from Matsu on eBay!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    2 inches of water!

hardly a major flooding inside. It can all be set right, if there's any damage causing the engine to stall, drying the car out and going through the wiring should solve it. I don't see why you have to take a major hit on resale if the car can be put right and there weren't any major structural comprimises (body/frame) The tranny, brake lines, and hydraulics are all sealed and won't be affected by a few hours of being submerged. Smells can be cured, interiors professionally cleaned. The intake and exhaust probably got some dirt/debris, and mebbe some moisture got into the tank. You can replace all the filters yourself, flush the fluids, dry out the car, and then get a mechanic to repair the electrics for you, if they need it.

The disclosure says, "if they've been damaged due to immersion."

It's not like this car was under water, it may not be worth it to get a massive hit on insurance, if ya write her off.

The only real problem in flooding is with the electrics, if they're not damaged, then the car hasn't been hurt any more than regular useage would cause, though it requires a good cleaning.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Quick update:

Yep, we had a flash flood, there was a low part of the skreet and the drain couldn't get the water out fast enough. There was a pretty hellatious whirlpool gurgling twenty feet behind my car. I missed seeing the highwater mark, but I'd say that it wasn't much more than 3" or so in the floorboards. I spent several hours last night working on draining them and am going to pick up a wet-dry vac tonight and do some proactive drainage. Somebody suggested drilling drain holes in the floorboard, which is always a possibility.

"Funny" thing is I just had $1100 of work done to replace a radiator that blew out a week before. It's a 93 Honda Civic Hatchback and I really don't want to sell it, I love the car. If I did sell I'd be sure to make note of the flooding, everything aboveboard is easier in the end.

They installed a backup radiator next to the original radiator and the fan in front of the original radiator isn't turning, so it may be dead. I'll have to have them look at it.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

The only real problem in flooding is with the electrics, if they're not damaged, then the car hasn't been hurt any more than regular useage would cause, though it requires a good cleaning.

I'm not sure I'd want to trust that (insert random car company name) had taken the time and expense to make sure that the interior of the floor pan had received the same care in providing for rust protection.

Does your regular usage involve spilling large quantities of water inside your car?

Would you purchase a car knowing that it had been submerged at least 2 inches above the bottom of the door frame? And would you be upset if you later found out that the floorboards were rotting out *due to* flood damage, but the seller hadn't told you?

... but you are the same guy that Apple fooled into buying an Aluminum iBook, so perhaps you're just bitter about disclosure and need to take it out on someone.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Is it worth the insurance?

The car's worth next to nothing anyway (flood or not) might as well keep on driving it, so if you have coverage, get it looked after right. They are otherwise reliable cars, you could drive it for a couple more years, at least.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Would you purchase a car knowing that it had been submerged at least 2 inches above the bottom of the door frame? And would you be upset if you later found out that the floorboards were rotting out *due to* flood damage, but the seller hadn't told you?

... but you are the same guy that Apple fooled into buying an Aluminum iBook, so perhaps you're just bitter about disclosure and need to take it out on someone.

HAHA... I knew exactly was I was getting and it's great.

Would I buy the car? Nope, or at least that's what I'd say as I tried to get an absurd discount on the original asking price. Which is why, if nothing was damaged, as a seller I wouldn't disclose it. Anyway, the interior is rust proofed about as good as the exterior, you can see the paint on interior surfaces when you peel back a carpet. The car can be sufficiently dried to make it a non issue.

Is it running now? If it is, nothing major happened to it, then it wasn't "damaged" and there is nothing to disclose. The exterior probably gets hit harder in a touchless car wash.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    I have exactly the same kind of car, so I have an idea of what 2-3 inches of water in the inside the car means. The brakes, suspension, transmission, gas tank and engine were partially submerged in flood waters. His check engine light came on, which is not a good sign. There is no way that nothing was damaged- it's just a matter of how expensive it will be to fix it all.

And don't give me the argument that cars go through water all the time. You may swim a few laps with your head under water, but if I hold you under for a half an hour, you aren't going to be in the best of shape.

If you have comprehensive insurance, you see what they value the car at. The information should be right on your policy- my insurance values my 93 Civic at a little over 5k.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Funny thing is that I'm working on a job about cars, which has kept me away from MY car all day long. I'm off tomorrow and will address everything then.....maybe we'll find out how bad it really is.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    buy a new car already yours is ancient