iTunes music crackles when i send an email...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi, if I'm listening to music in iTunes 4 (happened with iTunes 3 as well) and I send an email with an attachment or if I am conducting a download, the music begins to crackle, and sometimes totally cuts. out. Seems to happen when i use a considerable amount if bandwidth... but why would my net bandwidth affect my music quality?

I am using an 800mhz iBook.

OSX 10.2.5

640mb RAM

Broadband Cable modem via Airport

HK Sounsticks (speakers)

Thanks for any help / solutions...

NeilyB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Isn't it because you're reading multiple files off the hard drive at the same time?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    that can't be it... because it doesn't happen whe i use photoshop, for instance, which is much more hard drive intensive. It happens only when using bandwidth...

NeilyB
  • Reply 3 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It's the Soundsticks, not iTunes. Not only is USB Audio very unhappy when you use other high-bandwidth USB devices on the same USB channel, it also uses a bit of CPU...Try switching to the internal speaker and see if it still crackles.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    i've had this same problem. i haven't tracked down the culprit yet.

it's been very very sporadic. and seems to have stopped with the 10.2.6 update.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    Eugene is right, I guess it does have to do with the USBness of my speakers, because it doesn't happen with the internal speakers. But I don't get why Airport interferes with USB. Aren't they two totally different I/O systems?

I wonder if the fact that the iBook uses a G3 processor is part of the problem. my 500Mhz PB g4 with the exact same setup doesn't have this problem.

P.S. 10.2.6 didn't help the problem at all, for me.

NeilyB
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I use a Sonica (USB -> digital audio) and I had noticed crackling while running the java filesharing client (for legal live recordings) Furthur.

Obviously this used bandwith (and as a Java app lots of memory and cpu as well).

I still notice it sporadically (haven't tried 10.2.6 yet) when just puttering about but that particular program could trigger it consistently, though I haven't used it since I pinpointed it as the culprit.