5 gig iPod: purchased used and loaded with tunes...have some questions

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just got a MINT year old 5 gig iPod on ebay for $175. I am thrilled. It is loaded with music. Will I lose it all when I link to itunes? Is there anyway to get their music into my computer, or at least save it all and add MY music?

Thanks. It was either this iPod or an MP3 player for my car...and I think this will be more practical since I am outside of my car, more than I am in it

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    If it is indeed mint, then go for it!

Check versiontracker for hacks to get the music off your ipod, you won't lose the tunes when you plug it into your machine, but it won't be able to sync. Basically the music is stored in an invisible folder AFAIK, so just connect into harddisk mode and you should be able to grab the music for yourself.

enjoy
  • Reply 2 of 11
    chic4macchic4mac Posts: 99member
    um translate please

I have no clue what to do based on what you said

jess
  • Reply 3 of 11
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    the music on there isn't yours to have.

don't steal music.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Dont Steal Music. Hey, this is a nice app:

http://www.macupdate.com/download.ph...t.hqx?id=10734
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

don't steal music.

By this logic, buying used records or CDs on eBay would also constitute theft. The iPod is a storage medium and the information stored on it was presumably included in the $175 price tag.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

By this logic, buying used records or CDs on eBay would also constitute theft. The iPod is a storage medium and the information stored on it was presumably included in the $175 price tag.

The difference is whether or not the seller keeps the originals or not. If a seller completely transfers ownership, there is no theft.

If the iPod didn't arrive packed up along with the original CDs/records/tapes from which the music on it was derived, using that music would be stealing it.

Now that we have online sales of music, where there is no "original copy", a legit transfer would entail transfer of authorization, without keeping any playable copies.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

don't steal music.

uh yeah whatever. so you have never made a tape of music for a friend? please.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chic4mac

uh yeah whatever. so you have never made a tape of music for a friend? please.

that's not even really worth repsonding to.

i don't quite equate receiving 5 gigs of music (that was probably illegally obtained in the first place) from someone who is not your "friend" to receiving a mix tape from someone who is.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

that's not even really worth repsonding to.

i don't quite equate receiving 5 gigs of music (that was probably illegally obtained in the first place) from someone who is not your "friend" to receiving a mix tape from someone who is.

hmm. but you did respond. and it's humorous that you are so irritated. Who said it was 5 gigs of music? I suppose you have put your opinions on all the "share your itunes libraries" posts as well? If not, you have got a lot of work ahead of you. Enjoy yourself!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Pardon me if i dont feel sorry for the music industry when this guy/gal lifts whatever tunes off the newly purchased iPod. Congrats on getting a good deal on a used one man!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    thanks dviant (nice name btw) I certainly didn't think pesti was the majority. They've probably turned me in already for my deviant behavior. Well..I am off to confession.