Orderd a Lindows Box from Walmart.com...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Never played with it. I figured it would be fun. Got a cheap-o AMD ATX box with CD, 128 RAM, etc. Pretty lame, but for $200 bucks it's not bad. Yup. Playin' with Lindows this weekend. God, that sounds so pathetic, "Lindows". Ouch. Oh well. Never judge an OS by it's name. OK, go ahead. I don't care.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Let me know what you think of it, I havent heard a Mac users opinion of it, and of course windows users are going to think its easy and all that crap...
  • Reply 2 of 39
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Just delivered. Opening now...
  • Reply 3 of 39
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Just delivered. Opening now...

i'm listening...
  • Reply 4 of 39
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, he's probably still trying to get online.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
  • Reply 6 of 39
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Hey serrano, make sure you document the unpacking process!!! We want photos d@mn it!!
  • Reply 7 of 39
    the pie manthe pie man Posts: 425member
    I had actually toyed with the idea of getting one of those Walmart Lindows boxes. I figured I could wipe the drive and install a real version on Linux on it, and replace the beige G3 server I have in the closet.

Sounded interesting at the time.. Still have the beige G3 in the closet.

Does it even turn on or is it like one of those fake plastic phones you give to babies to play with?
  • Reply 8 of 39
    "Hello world."

I am using Lindows. :0)

Its really just basically a distro of Debian Linux with a custom package manager called Click n Run.

The file system is ReiserFS

KDE is the default WM. Looks a LOT like Windows, it may even fool some newbie PC users.

I can't figure out how to turn on SSH for remote SSH sessions. Grr.

I have a OS X SMB share mounted in Lindows with no problems.

I have Samba server (sharing) running on the Lindows box, but I can't seem to log in yet from my Mac. Still tweeking SMB.

The box is pretty nice for a little ATX POS. Loud though. Damn fans.

Keyboard and mouse are PS/2, but there are 2 USB ports. Cool. Mouse is NOT optical. Cheap-o.

2 speakers are included. Total junk.

$198. Not bad...
  • Reply 9 of 39
    jeffx342jeffx342 Posts: 47member
    I have a Pc also, the new Alienware Area 51 (love the case). I also have a 17inch Powerbook too. Let me tell you Pc's are only good for games thats about it.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Exactly I'm going to buy one and put some sort of Windows on it for games. $200 for a PC is a good deal, most consoles are that much or more after all the extras.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Exactly I'm going to buy one and put some sort of Windows on it for games. $200 for a PC is a good deal, most consoles are that much or more after all the extras.

if you're gonna buy a PC for games, don't get one of those. with all the upgrades you'd need to do to that thing to get it to be able to play games, you might as well buy a cheap dell/whatever.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Ya, you need a major GPU, RAM, etc. Not to mention keyboards/mice/joysticks. Big monitor, audio stuff, etc. The video card alone will cost ya more than the entire Walmart PC!
  • Reply 13 of 39
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    heh. that's why i always thought so-called "gaming" PCs were a bit dumb. you spend $2-3000 for something that is gonna give you performance not a whole lot better than a $200 console.

and you're trapped in front of a monitor, instead of lounging on your couch playing on your nice big TV
  • Reply 14 of 39
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    All I would need is upgraded RAM and vid card, that's only another $200 if I spring for it. Who said I wanted to play Max Payne on it, there are many simple games that are PC only. Like Command Keen.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

heh. that's why i always thought so-called "gaming" PCs were a bit dumb. you spend $2-3000 for something that is gonna give you performance not a whole lot better than a $200 console.

Obviously you've never bought or built a 'gaming pc', or at least in a while. A $900 dollar system can play ANY modern game at 1024x768 with decent performance. If you're going to own a computer anyway, spending the extra $130 to make games playable isn't that expensive. If you actually look for good deals it can be even cheaper. For instance, on monday, CircuitCity had the 120GB special edition WD hard drives for free after rebate, and still available in some places. Officemax has 256MB 2700 DDR free after rebate. Some other place has this aluminum case for $30, only 66% off.

In fact over the lifetime, consoles & PC's are about the same cost. If you assume a console costs $200 and the initial PC upgrades cost $130, and you upgrade some component on the PC each year for 5 years, if you sell the component it replaces it would cost ~$80/ year or $530 total. After release, PC game prices go down quicker than console games. Using an average game price of $45 for console and $38 for PC games (~15% difference), and buying 1 game every 2 months for 5 years. The console + games is $1550 & the PC + games is 1670.

This ignores the price you could sell the console after 5 years, the cost of extra controllers, memory cards, broadband/modem kits, and the hassle of selling computer parts. Consoles and PCs also have their strengths in the different game genres. PCs graphics usually surpass console graphics around a year after their release, after another 4 years, the consoles capabilites just look nostalgic.

Quote:

and you're trapped in front of a monitor, instead of lounging on your couch playing on your nice big TV

I prefer playing on a monitor instead of a TV for the same reason I prefer DVDs over VHS tapes, CDs over cassette tapes, etc. The 50-year old NTSC standard just can't compare to high framerate, high resolution monitors
  • Reply 16 of 39
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xmoger

I prefer playing on a monitor instead of a TV for the same reason I prefer DVDs over VHS tapes, CDs over cassette tapes, etc. The 50-year old NTSC standard just can't compare to high framerate, high resolution monitors

That's why they created things like HDTV and progressive scan. I might also add that the 5.1 has more room to breathe in the living room environment, especially useful in games like Halo, etc.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

I can't figure out how to turn on SSH for remote SSH sessions. Grr.

open a terminal (or ctrl-alt-F1 (ctrl-alt-F7 to get back to your GUI)):

su (enter root password at the prompt)

/etc/init.d/sshd start

exit

to get sshd to start automatically every boot:

su

source /etc/profile

chkconfig --level 345 sshd on

exit

edit: this post assumes you have sshd installed. If not, apt-get it.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Finallly a person ON TOPIC! Thanks!

Hey, Does Lindows "neuter" the Debian apt-get feature to try and make you use their CNR tool?

Lame question, but how do I apt-get? Can I just do it from the CLI? I don't see a man page for it...
  • Reply 19 of 39
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    On-topic:

Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Finallly a person ON TOPIC! Thanks!

Hey, Does Lindows "neuter" the Debian apt-get feature to try and make you use their CNR tool?

Lame question, but how do I apt-get? Can I just do it from the CLI? I don't see a man page for it...

Try this

Off topic:

Quote:

That's why they created things like HDTV and progressive scan. I might also add that the 5.1 has more room to breathe in the living room environment, especially useful in games like Halo, etc.

There's not exactly an overwhelming selection of HD games yet, and it's a safe bet we won't see them using the 720p 60fps standard for a long while. I wish my surround speakers were mounted right for my computer.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    so anyone else notice how long it took to post from said Lindows box?

funny stuff.