Connect an iPod to a NEW CAR Factory Radio?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Can it be done?

What are the hardline solutions to hooking an iPod up as an external input on FACTORY installed radios? The new car I'm looking at is a HONDA with which has radio controls built into the steering wheel and I don't want to screw up that functionality, but I'd like to hook an iPod to it!~

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    does the factory stereo have a line-in jack? if so, it's pretty easy deal with a simple cheap audio cable going from the iPod's headphone jack to the stereo's line-in
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    About the only think I can think of to hardwire it to the factory deck is to put an FM transmitter box in-line of the antenna cable going into the back of your deck. The box will make the stereo "think" it's receiving your iPod on a frequency when it's actually getting it fed directly from the box and all other frequencies are untouched. As far as wiring that up, it'd be kind of tricky, as the only time I've heard it used is with CD changers that are put into a car. I've not heard of that scenario used for stuff like an iPod or portable CD player.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    bperkinsbperkins Posts: 110member
    What year is it? If it is a 2002 you are in luck.This website has inputs for factory Honda's any many other makes.

Specs:

Honda

1992-1998 HONDA, 1992-2001 ACURA - 8-PIN DIN

Code: HON-AUX

Price: $67.39

1998-2002 HONDA - 14-PIN DATA PORT AT HEADUNIT

Code: HON-AUX a

Price: $67.39

1998-2002 HONDA PASSPORT - 12-PIN DATA PORT BEHIND HEAD UNIT.

Code: HOND/PASSPORT

Price: $74.99
  • Reply 4 of 4
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    You ROCK!