problem printing on windows xp shared printer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I installed Samba printer on my 10.2.5 OS X and everythings works great. i can connect to it but i can not print:

Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds...: Undefined error: 0

Whats wrong?

thanks

Peter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    macgolfermacgolfer Posts: 6member
    I have personally seen this message as well on my home network (2 PCs and 2Macs). I run a combination Switch/Router/Gateway that dynamically assigns the IP addresses as systems connect along my small network (DHCP).

The root of my problem was the dynamic IP address assigned to the Windows machine, sharing the printer had changed since I had initially setup the SAMBA printer on my Mac. The timeout message occurs because Print Center can not find the shared printer at the IP address you specified.

The solution is to "remove" the shared printer in Print Center and "Add" it again at the correct IP address. To prevent this from happening again, you have a couple of choices...

1. Do not dynamically assign your IP addresses so that the system sharing the printer is accessible at a known (constant) address

2. Use a third party Windows connectivity utility (such as DAVE, from Thursby Software http://www.thursby.com). DAVE can resolve Windows share names and does not require you to know the IP address of the shared system. Should the dynamic IP address(es) change, DAVE transparently resolves this by referencing the system's name as it is entered in the network setting in Windows.

I hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    equinoxequinox Posts: 43member
    Thanks for your help. Sadly it did not help. I cannot connect to the printer. Perhaps it is related to the samba security update???

Regards,

Peter