Nvidia : spilling exciting beans?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>When Steve Jobs first unveiled Quartz, he noted that it was based on technology developed at Pixar some 10 years before.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's odd because Pixar does 3D image rendering, not 2D graphics... and Quartz is based on PDF which came from Adobe. Are you sure you got your quotes straight?

AirSluf... I know about the problems with texture updating and the limitations of VRAM, but there are ways to deal with that if you design the system with those restrictions in mind. They didn't so now we have to wait for the next generation of uber-hardware to arrive before our little 2D GUI runs at a decent rate.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I thought it was odd, too, but I'm also sure I have my quotes straight. If I have a detail wrong (which is not out of the question) the one thing I am sure of, which is the relevant part, is that Quartz is based on a technology that's too mature to have assumed hardware acceleration.

I guess I'll have to do some spelunking.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 44 of 48
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>I personally don't see how they could have effectively used current HW the way it is exposed right now</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well that is sort of the whole point -- when designing a new graphics system for an OS you also have the privledge of defining the driver interface & model at the same time. They set a bar at the "it has a frame buffer" level instead of at some higher level. I know its doable -- I've built simple GUIs on top of 3D hardware before, and I didn't even spend much effort to make it work.

In any case we're stuck with it now, although hopefully the rumours of an OpenGL-optimized Quartz coming soon are true. I can't wait to hear the RageII/Pro owners complaining about how it doesn't work on their hardware...
  • Reply 45 of 48
    bobthetomatobobthetomato Posts: 665member
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>

....the RageII/Pro owners...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey I resemble that remark (Rage 128)!

But will 10.2 run on my 6100?
  • Reply 46 of 48
    guiltyguilty Posts: 3member
    what do you guys make of this? i admit, i ALMOST bought it, but somehow convinced my self to wait until mwny. but damn, apple really needs to not only keep up, but friggin STAY up for longer than 1 month out of the year in the peecee dominant world. this thing is smokin'. god help me.

<a href="http://http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/pc/pc_prodDetail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2003389775.1020 650818@@@@&BV_EngineID=fadcecgmdljibfekcghcfmfdglk .0&comm=CS&plin=Portable%20Computers&pfam=Satellit e&poid=207513&Adoid=164618" target="_blank">Toshiba's high end laptop w/ Nvidia </a>

[removed overlong duplicate URL -Amorph]

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 47 of 48
    maffiosomaffioso Posts: 4member
    It is a nice laptop, BUT! if can only hold one battery!!!, if you get a PC take a look at the new Gateways, or the Compaq 2800, they can both handle duel batteries...

Or for the Ultimate Desktop Replacement visit <a href="http://www.alienware.com"; target="_blank">www.alienware.com</a> and go into gaming then pick there m50 laptop, up to 2.4Ghz P4... w/ 64MB 7500...

A nice comp...
  • Reply 48 of 48
    timortistimortis Posts: 149member
    [quote]Originally posted by maffioso:

<strong>It is a nice laptop, BUT! if can only hold one battery!!!, if you get a PC take a look at the new Gateways, or the Compaq 2800, they can both handle duel batteries...

Or for the Ultimate Desktop Replacement visit <a href="http://www.alienware.com"; target="_blank">www.alienware.com</a> and go into gaming then pick there m50 laptop, up to 2.4Ghz P4... w/ 64MB 7500...

A nice comp...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Interestingly, there's no mention on that website of battery life.

Could it be because it's probably something like, 15 MINUTES?

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: timortis ]</p>