Problem editing ID3 tags in iTunes 4

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've started re-ripping some of my CDs to AAC, and noticed that ID3 tags that I purposefully deleted at import (track numbers and genres) had reappeared on tracks from three or four CDs. I tried to edit out the tags but they keep reappearing. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I haven't seen your particular problem, but last night when I was trying to enter some tag info for an album iTunes kept crashing over and over again. (Sorry to those three people listening to my music at the time, whoever you are!)

This was a classical music CD, and I was using the option where you can edit tags on multiple files at the same time. The CDDB information for this disc wasn't in great shape, so I was trying to group-edit the artist, composer, and album title fields.

Eventually, I ended up changing one field at a time and quitting iTunes between each field.

I'd edited tags on probably 60-70 albums before this one troublesome disc, and maybe a dozen albums afterwards. Only this one album caused me any trouble.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Just a thought for shetline... perhaps changing ID3 tags while someone is listening to that track is bad for iTunes stability? (just a thought) I have yet to have problems but then again I'm not the 'sharing my library' kind of guy.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    make sure all your ID3 tags are AT LEAST version 2.2 (I use 2.4)

what i did to make sure of this is select all of my music in the library and go Advanced-->Convert ID3 tags...

after the first time I only do the songs in my "recently added" playlist...

hth...

-Paul
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Just a thought for shetline... perhaps changing ID3 tags while someone is listening to that track is bad for iTunes stability? (just a thought) I have yet to have problems but then again I'm not the 'sharing my library' kind of guy.

In this case the disc hadn't been ripped yet... I was editing the info the would become ID3 tags once the album was ripped.

Besides, how much of the rabble that hangs out on AppleInsider would choose to listen to Mozart's Requiem anyway?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

make sure all your ID3 tags are AT LEAST version 2.2 (I use 2.4)...

I had tried that, but it didn't help...

Looking at the tracks in question again, they are all ones that I had not deleted (as MP3s) when I re-ripped (as M4A)...maybe that had something to do with the problem?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

I had tried that, but it didn't help...

Looking at the tracks in question again, they are all ones that I had not deleted (as MP3s) when I re-ripped (as M4A)...maybe that had something to do with the problem?

hmmm a database problem then? cant have 2 copies of the same track and edit the info?

that doesn't make sense tho... \

do you still have the old MP3 versions?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Nope deleted them almost immediately after...what's weird is that it only happend with a couple of CDs and its just the track numbers I can't remove (everything else is editable).

It seems that I'm not the only one with this issue (the suggested solutions didn't change anything)...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/0
  • Reply 8 of 12
    This might go some way towards explaining things...

Quote:

only a few formats support tags, but for the ones that don't (like AAC or midi), itunes stores the info in the library database file (so nick you were right.) When you copy the songs to the ipod, it copies the tag info to the ipod database file, which is on the ipod. So no other programs will be able to read the info.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/0
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Quote:

only a few formats support tags, but for the ones that don't (like AAC or midi), itunes stores the info in the library database file (so nick you were right.) When you copy the songs to the ipod, it copies the tag info to the ipod database file, which is on the ipod. So no other programs will be able to read the info.

So then How do I Rip my CD's on my mom's iMac and then move them (over the Internet) to my computer and retain the info?

I can't rip CD's on my Beige G3 since they are all garbled. I was planning on converting my entire 100 CD collection to AAC 320kbps when I was there in a couple weeks.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

This might go some way towards explaining things...

According to this Mac-unfriendly AAC FAQ, the older AAC format that existed back in 1999 (when the FAQ was written) had a built-in "ADIF" header similar in function to ID3.

It's strange that I can't google-up more info on this topic, but I'd imagine that the current AAC standard would at the very least support the same amount of tag info, if not more, than the older format.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

I'd imagine that the current AAC standard would at the very least support the same amount of tag info, if not more, than the older format.

I'd have thought so too, but I've seen some conflicting opinions...I am starting to wonder if the person I quoted above may have been on the wrong track though. Even if ID3 tags aren't available there *has* to be some way for an AAC file to store metadata within itself...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    I had a friend send me an AAC encded song and when I loaded it in iTunes alll the info was there including the artwork etc.