ProTools' FireWire Control Surface...smart for mac users?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
"Digi 002 ? FireWire-based Pro Tools LE music production system

Working with your computer through a single FireWire connection, Digi 002 pairs Pro Tools LE software with an integrated control surface..."

After Avid threatened to drop all mac support a few years ago i don't feel comfortable buying digidesign products. not just that but their closed/proprietary formats seem like a costly and limiting road to be locked into. not to mention the fact that this unit is north of 2 grand.

but the new firewire control surface is hot. i've been waiting for a product like this for years. and i'm at a point where i have to make a move soon.

i'm sure if i could wait for a year there will be a lot more choice and competition in the market place but i don't have the luxury of that time.

tascam has one coming down the pipeline but their abominable support for their USB control surface has me wondering if i will ever buy their products.

Mackie was in an agreement with eMagic/Logic building control surfaces. but then they took that design and started stamping out their own branded boxes. i don't know if there is litigation coming down because of that or what. but i don't want to be caught in the middle.

the cost is prohibitive but if i jump through a bunch of hoops i could probably pull it off. of course that will push off some other very necessary purchases.

is buying the \tDigi 002 smart for a mac user?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bluesignsbluesigns Posts: 315member
    here's a link to the product page:

http://www.digidesign.com/products/digi002/
  • Reply 2 of 3
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bluesigns

After Avid threatened to drop all mac support a few years ago i don't feel comfortable buying digidesign products. not just that but their closed/proprietary formats seem like a costly and limiting road to be locked into. not to mention the fact that this unit is north of 2 grand.

is buying the \tDigi 002 smart for a mac user? [/B]

I can't tell you whether its smart or not, but I can tell you that you shouldn't worry about ProTools support for Mac. The VAST majority of their sales are Mac based, and any pro studio worth their salt runs PT on a Mac. Before anyone flames me, I have worked in studios for almost twenty years, and been in world class studios in NY, LA, Nashville, and Austin. I have yet to see a Windows box in any of them except for a unit in the corner for Acid.

In addition, PT6 for OSX is awesome. Their long development time paid off big time, it is rock solid.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bluesignsbluesigns Posts: 315member
    i'm trying to figure out what it is about it that is giving me such great pause.

[great paws ]

it is, in part, the money of course.

but i keep coming back to Avid's track record of locking people into extremely expensive, closed, proprietary systems.

thank you for your considered response.

i'm so tired of waiting for mLan and all of the promise of Audio Units. that's all future perfect. and i need now. this gut twister is bumping up against my real-world need for a working system this month.

i'm starting to look at some reviews and i haven't found anything about inter-operability with other audio apps and soft synths.

i did however hear one sparkling account of being up and running in less than half an hour with nary a glitch.

things that work properly make me happy.