Steve Jobs: Apple is doomed and PPC doesn't help

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I came upon some interesting interviews of Steve Jobs from the mid-nineties and here are some interesting highlights.

From the above link:

Quote:

Steve Jobs: [Sculley et al] didn't care about that anymore. They didn't have a clue about how to do it and they didn't take any time to find out because that's not what they cared about. They cared about making a lot of money so they had this wonderful thing that a lot of brilliant people made called the Macintosh and they got very greedy and instead of following the original trajectory of the original vision--which was to make this thing an appliance, to get this out there to as many people as possible--they went for profits and they made outlandish profits for about four years. Apple was one of the most profitable companies in America for about four years.

What that cost them was the future. What they should have been doing was making reasonable profits and going for market share, which was what we always tried to do. Macintosh would have had a thirty- three percent market share right now, maybe even higher, maybe it would have even been Microsoft but we'll never know. Now its got a single digit market share and falling. There's no way to ever get that moment in time back. The Macintosh will die in another few years and its really sad.

And when the question on Apple's new PPC systems came up in the interview cache linked below, Steve Jobs said:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Quote:

It works fine. It's a Pentium. The PowerPC and the Pentium are equivalent, plus or minus 10 or 20 percent, depending on which day you measure them. They're the same thing. So Apple has a Pentium. That's good. Is it three or four or five times better? No. Will it ever be? No. But it beats being behind. Which was where the Motorola 68000 architecture was unfortunately being relegated. It keeps them at least equal, but it's not a compelling advantage.

Replace 68000 with G4 and PowerPC with PPC970.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    I remember posting similar thread on the very old AI board some 2?? years back. The reaction here on the boards were scary
  • Reply 2 of 12
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I like this particularly:

Quote:

I have a great respect for incremental improvement, and I've done that sort of thing in my life, but I've always been attracted to the more revolutionary changes. I don't know why. Because they're harder. They're much more stressful emotionally. And you usually go through a period where everybody tells you that you've completely failed.

Smart cookie; I bet Motorola's antics have pissed him off to no end.

Oh, and to add something I thought funny:

Quote:

You mentioned the Apple earlier. When you look at the company you founded now, what do you think?

I don't want to talk about Apple.

• Reply 3 of 12
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    The man is entitled to change his mind, and he obviously loves a challenge--you can't say he didn't know what he was getting into when he came back onboard.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

The man is entitled to change his mind...

He better is
  • Reply 5 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think he feels the same way about the chip market. Although it's too obvious to say that he wants the Apple CPUs to be on par with other machines, I don't think he thinks speed is a compelling reason to either make or buy a computer, I don't think he would bank on that even if they did have faster chips than the competition.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    A while ago somebody posted a link to an old interview with him, right after Pixar began to blow up, but instead of talking about how cool something at Pixar is, he talked about the internet and WebObjects. The interview was before NeXT was bought, but after it was apparent that it wasn't going as planned. In that interview he made a few remarks like those. My favorite from it is "The desktop computer industry is dead. Innovation has virtually ceased. Microsoft dominates with very little innovation. That's over. Apple lost. The desktop market has entered the dark ages, and it's going to be in the dark ages for the next 10 years, or certainly the rest of this decade." I don't have a link to it anymore, but I have it printed, it was on Wired.com from sometime in 1996 I believe.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

I don't have a link to it anymore, but I have it printed, it was on Wired.com from sometime in 1996 I believe.

probably in their now-infamous "pray" issue (remember that one? where they had the apple logo with a crown of thorns around it on the cover??? man, those were dark days...)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    So all this proves is

( A ) He ain't God even though he sometimes acts like it.

( B ) Even the best get it wrong..re ATARI..Re IBM..etc

( C ) Everyone is entitled to make mistakes..even Jobs....\
  • Reply 9 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    My favorite Jobs quote is the one where says, of being a CEO, that he realized he only had to be right more than 50% of the time.

• Reply 10 of 12
    (a) Jobs is the bizong

(b) He is never wrong, just misunderstood.

(c) Of course he's God.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Q: Okay, Jobs vs. God at golf...

Who would win?

A: Trick question! Jobs is God!

(does anyone remember the Super Fans?)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    One word: Troll.

I mean really. You make the title of this post look like Steve-O said this last week as opposed to last century. The last thing AI needs is another Drama Queen?. We all read that article, you know, back when it actually had CONTEXT.