program to index songs?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
i have a concert i recorded off the web. is there aprogram that allows me to index the tracks? hopefully freeware. hopefully automatically for the most part, that requires little for me to edit

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    What do you mean index? Do you just need to splice and label the tracks?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    well just put a mark(?) where each song starts.you know what i mean, i don't knw the correct terminolgy
  • Reply 3 of 22
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

well just put a mark(?) where each song starts

What? Seriously, I have to idea what this means.

Don't songs usually start at the beginning? Do you want to know if there's, say, a one or two second gap at the beginning of the file before the music starts playing or what?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Ok, so you have one long continous track that you want co copy to CD, and just have some kind of marker point where each track starts??
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Ok, so you have one long continous track that you want co copy to CD, and just have some kind of marker point where each track starts??

correct
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Ok, the cheap and non-elegant way to do this is to split the track into several tracks using one of many audio-tools. Better though is to use jam (roxio). Jam lets you insert index-points wherever you want them and lots of other stuff too. There may be other programs that do this but I'm not aware of any right now. Hope that helps

edit: and if you own toast already, you can buy jam for $70 (download)
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

What? Seriously, I have to idea what this means.

Don't songs usually start at the beginning? Do you want to know if there's, say, a one or two second gap at the beginning of the file before the music starts playing or what?

well as i said i don't know the correct terminolgy!
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

Ok, the cheap and non-elegant way to do this is to split the track into several tracks using one of many audio-tools. Better though is to use jam (roxio). Jam lets you insert index-points wherever you want them and lots of other stuff too. There may be other programs that do this but I'm not aware of any right now. Hope that helps

edit: and if you own toast already, you can buy jam for $70 (download)

cool yer the man for understanding my post. i was hoping to find a shareware program.i just bought Toast yesterday(!)

i can get jam. i guess it comes with Peak, i think i can get a demo of that which is fully fucntional for 30 days

i do need Peak with Toast don't I? the download versin doesn't comes with Peak
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

cool yer the man for understanding my post. i was hoping to find a shareware program.i just bought Toast yesterday(!)

i can get jam. i guess it comes with Peak, i think i can get a demo of that which is fully fucntional for 30 days

i do need Peak with Toast don't I? the download versin doesn't comes with Peak

No, you don't need peak to do the index thing. Thats jam.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

No, you don't need peak to do the index thing. Thats jam.

should i get it with Peak?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

should i get it with Peak?

If you need Peak to do/edit music, peak LE for $20 is a steal. If you don't need it use the money on something else
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

If you need Peak to do/edit music, peak LE for $20 is a steal. If you don't need it use the money on something else

i decided to get Peak, after thinking about it, i will definately use it

thanks for all your help!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

i decided to get Peak, after thinking about it, i will definately use it

thanks for all your help!

Your welcome! Glad I could be of any assistance
  • Reply 14 of 22
    ok i got Jam. i've got one big file that needs to be broken into 11 songs.

i've got my index points but when i preview disc it it doesn't seem to work. it jumps from song 1 to 11.

also when i play the file, the little speaker icon just keeps going down to each index point until it gets to the end, all the while it's still on the first song

also the instructions say not all cd players support index marks.

i thought i could break up this one long audio file into individual songs. i know i'm doing something wrong

if i burn it, will it be broken up into 11 tracks?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Ok, some CD-players may not support indexing and that complicates things a bit, but you got PEAK don't you??

So here is what to do:

Import the track into PEAK. Then you have to create "regions" where the tracks should be. Then save the track with regions. Then Jam can identify the regions within the main track as separate tracks and your CD player will select them correctly as separate songs. Hope that helps.

netro
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Ok, some CD-players may not support indexing and that complicates things a bit, but you got PEAK don't you??

So here is what to do:

Import the track into PEAK. Then you have to create "regions" where the tracks should be. Then save the track with regions. Then Jam can identify the regions within the main track as separate tracks and your CD player will select them correctly as separate songs. Hope that helps.

netro

yep i have peak as well. i will give it a shot!
  • Reply 17 of 22
    hmmm... Jam didn't recognize the regions. guess i need to read the manual

edit: hmmm i saved the file as sound designer II file and it still didn't work...
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Save the Peak project as a Sound Designer II (SDII) file. It will kepp the region data within the file. Then import/open the file with Jam. That should work.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Save the Peak project as a Sound Designer II (SDII) file. It will kepp the region data within the file. Then import/open the file with Jam. That should work.

i saved it that way and as a JAM file (which is also SDII file). neither method worked. it imports fine but it still appears as one track...
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Have you installed the 5.0.1 update. I think it was a bug with regions in the 5.0 version. Try that.

edit: spelling