Weird crash, all applications quit...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was using the iTunes visualizer on full screen, and I turned it off and hit the space bar to stop the music. As soon as the screen came back to normal, the spinning black thing that comes up when you start up and shut down came up and my computer reverted to a blue screen. After a few seconds it came back as if I had just logged in. All my applications were closed and login items opened. Has anyone seen this before? I installed 10.2.6 last night....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    it's a window manager crash, it's rare but it happens, unfortunately.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    *Activates Steve Jobs reality-distortion field*

"There really is nothing to fear. Everything is normal... You just forgot to blink for a while..."

Like he said, doesn't happen a lot. It's a lot better than an app bringing the whole system down, though. You know what I mean, huh? *Wink wink, nudge nudge*

• Reply 3 of 13
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I thought that when the Window Manager crashed that it didn't log you back in?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    ericj551ericj551 Posts: 89member
    I have it set to log me in automatically, maybe if you don't it wouldn't log you in.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I had this happen, almost every app just quit on me, but not every one... realone, cpu monitor, and finder didn't crash, but safari, camino, thoth, x-chat, and textedit did... it was odd, like a cascade failure...

I rebooted the next day when finder crashed, and on relaunch I could not drag anything, could not drag icons or anything else "draggable"...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ericj551ericj551 Posts: 89member
    I've had everything go undragable, it was very strange but a simple restart fixed it...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mackiemackie Posts: 13member
    I just finished having two of these window manager crashes. Both since upgrading to 10.2.6. The first one was when I unplugged my usb speakers... the next one (just 5 minutes ago) was when I pressed the sound button on my keyboard.

I've had the draggable thing happen too. Messed me up for a few minutes.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Today I was listening to some music in another room...heard it stop, so I came into the room with the comp and the damned thing was rebooting. I hope Apple isn't going Microsoftian on us?

So I wait for it to boot, log in and leave the room. When I come back, the computer is completely off and it won't boot up (no startup chime or anything.) So I do the normal steps, unplug the machine and hold down the power button for several seconds, then leave it for a while. It boots after a while, and here I am.

I think that back in 10.2.5, or maybe 10.2.4, I was using the computer (so it wasn't idle) and the system just randomly went to sleep. That happened two or three times. Also I'm thinking that it's shut down randomly once before as well (though definitely in 10.2.5.)

Maybe Apple has a serious bug on their hands? The shutdowns suck, because I don't seem to be able to do anything to stop it. I think I'm going to try leaving a modified text document open so the shutdown might time out...hopefully it isn't forced.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    I've never had any of those problems, but what I do get it the highlighting in the finder will stop working ie you click on a icon and it makes it a shade darker... I have to either relaunch the finder or reboot. i'm thinking this whole new finder in panther business will fix stuff like tihs... hopefully.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericj551

I've had everything go undragable, it was very strange but a simple restart fixed it...

this has been happening to me since 10.2.2

\

doesn't even feel like it has decreased either... \
  • Reply 11 of 13
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    When things like the "draggable bug" crop up, you do make a mention to Apple's feedback each time, right? If they don't know that more people are experiencing a bug, they won't be as motivated to fix it.

For what it's worth, I've had the draggable bug appear only twice since 10.2 was released last year. I've had no kernel panics and no window manager crashers that I can recall with 10.2.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    its such a pain in the ass to do... and most of the time it just happens while im busy doing something... i really wish there was a quick and easy bug button that could be added somewhere like in safari...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    richyfprichyfp Posts: 19member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericj551

Does anybody know what causes this to happen? I'm sure there's a background program/daemon that must handle drag/drop. Something similar to LaunchServices/SystemUIServer/loginwindow/System Events. I've had it happen a couple of times and a simple log out/in doesn't work, it needs a full restart.

And I think that the original poster's sudden quit experience was due to a loginwindow crash rather than a Window Manager crash as I've had that happen before too - as a result of plugging in a USB camera.

Weird 5H1T, Apple! Fix it. (And yes, I have sent bug reports)