SimCities 4 for iBook 16mb VRAM?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone played SimCities 4 on ibook or any PowerMacs with only 16mb VRAM yet?

Requirement from the game developer is 32MB VRAM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How about on a PowerBook 12" w/ 640 RAM, 32 VRAM?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    applemasterapplemaster Posts: 144member
    Anybody try this game out on a Mac yet? I love SimCity, but if 4 is like the SLOW Sim City 3000, I think I'll have to pass it up. With all that it does, I imagine it would have to be extremely s.....l....o....w.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

How about on a PowerBook 12" w/ 640 RAM, 32 VRAM?

How about it? It meets the 32 VRAM system requirement.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    It hasn't even been released yet!
  • Reply 5 of 40
    paul liewpaul liew Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

There are some places in Singapore selling it already. It's legal copy!
  • Reply 6 of 40
    applemasterapplemaster Posts: 144member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

I saw it at the Apple online store. Maybe it was just a preorder, though.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleMaster

I saw it at the Apple online store. Maybe it was just a preorder, though.

yeah, it's just pre-order. it also says only 32 meg ibooks will runit. Too bad for me!
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

yeah, it's just pre-order. it also says only 32 meg ibooks will runit. Too bad for me!

Yeah... but I'm sure those settings are for the best possible experience. There's gotta be a way to tone down the graphical effect so all machines can run it.... I'm hoping that because I've only got 8 MB of vRAM...
  • Reply 9 of 40
    doctorgonzodoctorgonzo Posts: 529member
    After playing it on a PC, I think it is safe to say that turning down the detail and attempting to play it on a previous gen iBook (which I have, BTW) would be an exercise in absolute frustration and agony.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Yeah... but I'm sure those settings are for the best possible experience. There's gotta be a way to tone down the graphical effect so all machines can run it.... I'm hoping that because I've only got 8 MB of vRAM...

I mean c'mon, you do have a 2x agp rage pro.

• Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

I mean c'mon, you do have a 2x agp rage pro.

:-\\ well i'm DLing it bootleg and I'm gonna try it out on my friend's brand new Dell. Its gonna run great... I'll do that... IF MY COLD GOES AWAY! >.<
  • Reply 12 of 40
    brian greenbrian green Posts: 662member
    I think the VRAM requirements are a nudge from programmers telling us that it's time to upgrade our laptops. Who knows, perhaps Apple will one day sell laptops that open up to allow such a thing. Until then, we all get to go out and buy a new laptop, transfer everything over, reformat the drive and give the old laptop to Mom, or one of our younger siblings. It sucks, I know. I have a 600 MHz iBook and mine won' meet the requirements for SimCity4. I've been waiting for that game to come out and now I have to wait just to get a laptop that'll allow me to play it. So I guess we'll all run out and get new Power Books when the new 15.4's come out. 8)
  • Reply 13 of 40
    vmxvmx Posts: 10member
    Feels like it's been in Final Candidate for EVER!!!

http://aspyr.com/popup.php?p_query=g...=1051024960213
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by VMX

Feels like it's been in Final Candidate for EVER!!!

http://aspyr.com/popup.php?p_query=g...=1051024960213

Yeah I know... I'm even more pissed because I only have 8MB of VRAM

>.<
  • Reply 15 of 40
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    What about that 500Mhz requirement? I know this is probably a stupid question, but do you think it will run on a 450Mhz G4? I can't believe I'm saying this.

Man, I won't have money to get a new computer till next summer! Oh well, maybe I can get a 970 12in PowerBook.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

What about that 500Mhz requirement? I know this is probably a stupid question, but do you think it will run on a 450Mhz G4? I can't believe I'm saying this.

Man, I won't have money to get a new computer till next summer! Oh well, maybe I can get a 970 12in PowerBook.

Unless there have been some ridiculous optimizations since the PC version, I wouldn't want to play it on anything less than a high-end Mac. Unless you want to use one of the teeny, tiny maps.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    According to MacNN Aspyr has sent SimCity 4 to duplication. Now I just need to replace my Ti with one of those new 970 models....
  • Reply 18 of 40
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Nobody cares about SC4?

Oh that's right... nobody has hardware that's fast enough to play this game.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul Liew

There are some places in Singapore selling it already. It's legal copy!

Yeah right!
  • Reply 20 of 40
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Nobody cares about SC4?

Oh that's right... nobody has hardware that's fast enough to play this game.

SC4 and it's micromanagement is so lame. What next? SimCity, SimTower, SimAnt and Sims merge together? And you get to build your city and build your Sim's homes, manage your commercial tower buildings, and invade your Sim's homes with your ants?