changing background color and text size in xterm

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

How do you change the background color and increase the text size of the xterm terminal window in X11? Specifically, I want to change the background to black and the text color to white. Increasing the font size would be nice too. I have a gut feeling that it involves changing some setting in some hidden file somewhere, but I don't have enough UNIX/X11 knowledge to make this happen.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Under File > Window settings, use the drop-down menu (ugh) at the top to select the prefs you want to change.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ironchef82ironchef82 Posts: 83member
    Well, if I'm not mistaken, that applies to the Terminal program that comes with Mac OS X.. my question was referring to the xterm window in the X11 program for os x.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    man xterm

this will give you a REALLY long list of all the options available for customizing xterm.

add what you want to your .xinitrc file.

for example, this is my .xinitrc :

source /sw/bin/init.sh

/usr/X11R6/bin/quartz-wm &

xterm -bg black -fg green -cr purple +cm +dc -geometry 80x20+100+50 &

that sets my xterm background (-bg) to black, my foreground color (-fg) to green, my cursor (-cr) to purple, size (geomentry) to 80 columns x 20 rows and screen position to 100x + 50y from the top left corner.

i forget what the other options do.

i haven't messed around with changing the font or font size yet
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pesi View Post

man xterm

this will give you a REALLY long list of all the options available for customizing xterm.

add what you want to your .xinitrc file.

for example, this is my .xinitrc :

source /sw/bin/init.sh

/usr/X11R6/bin/quartz-wm &

xterm -bg black -fg green -cr purple +cm +dc -geometry 80x20+100+50 &

that sets my xterm background (-bg) to black, my foreground color (-fg) to green, my cursor (-cr) to purple, size (geomentry) to 80 columns x 20 rows and screen position to 100x + 50y from the top left corner.

i forget what the other options do.

i haven't messed around with changing the font or font size yet

Or, make yourself root (sudo -s) and edit the xinitrc at /etc/X11/xinit (vi xinitrc, make edits, :wq!).

Unfortunately, I'm not sure why when I ask for a new window (OA-N), I get the old white background, black text. Any insight?