Should I get an iPod?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Since I made the switch to my iMac completely I have found myself listening to music much more often then I used to and now with iTunes 4 and iTMS. Previously, I didn't listen to music that often and I am not completely crazy for any group. I have a small collection of CDs and a small growing collection in iTunes. Is it worth it for me to shell out at the least $300.00 for an iPod, does the iPod really revolutionize the portable music experience that much? I am being serious here though, so just don't say yes because it's an Apple product, any experiences will be great. The poll ends at the end of May when I will make my decision. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    stupid question! of course you should!!!
  • Reply 2 of 55
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    First of all, I'm a music fanatic. I love music. I've been buying and collecting CDs since around 1984.

But prior to the iPod I had absolutely no interest in MP3 players. I'm kind of a tech gadget freak as well, but the MP3 player absolutely never interested me in the least. I got an iPod as a surprise Christmas gift in 2001 and I've been hooked ever since.

I can't believe how much more music I've bought since then. Seriously. I use the thing almost every day. Going to and from work, at the gym, sometimes when I take a long drive in the car, almost every freakin' day. It's amazing. I've bought and been able to listen to so much music I'm grateful and now very poor.

For you? It can change the way you use and are able to use music. Even though I was already a big fan of music, this thing and easily quadrupled my intake. Probably more. The iPod can be a great addition to your life. It was a catalyst for me. If you're already getting interested in music the iPod could be the push that sends you over the edge.

That's just my two cents. I'm the type of Mac user that normally upgrades my machine once a year because I love the next new thing. And even though I am a music fan and an Apple gadget freak, I didn't rush out to buy an iPod. But after having one I have to say it has actually changed my life. Not like life or death, but it's had a huge influence.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I was similar to you in that I rarely listened to music until friends started sending it to me and I happened to meet the mtv music director through someone (= unlimited free cds). Now I've just ordered my iPod and judging by the size and features of the new iPods I strongly suspect I won't be going anywhere without it.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Thanks Telomar, bunge and I dare say, Mulattabianca. I am looking at getting the 10gig?
  • Reply 5 of 55
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i bought the 20GB model when it first came out. put it in my car, hooked up to the stereo system through the CD changer input.

i haven't listened to a (music) radio station since i got it. i have 16GB of music that i love at my fingertips.

for me driving is the only time i really listen to music, so it made a lot of sense to keep it in the car. definately money well spent.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    The 15 GB model comes with a remote, case and dock. If like Alcimedes you're going to leave it in your car, you might not need the dock & remote. But if this is going to travel with you like personal stereo, those three items plus the extra 5 GB of storage make up for the $100 difference in price.

I just got the 15 GB (updated my 5 GB...anyone want it?) and it's pretty amazing. Nice machine.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    bluerabbitbluerabbit Posts: 105member
    So, I went to the opening of the new Apple Store in Washington ,and there was a really long line. But, I thought to myself, it can't be so long that they will run out of iPods. I mean, they know that lots of people are going to be there, right? So I get to the front of the line, finally get into the store, and they are out of 15 GB iPods !!! And they won't get any more until Tuesday ! So, since the University of Washington Bookstore doesn't have any either, I am iPodless until next week.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Same thing happened to me with the 30 GB iPod It seems they must be selling very well though.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    iPod needs a few features before I can whole heartedly recommend it. Namely, a voice recorder, and some app that lets it act as a digital wallet over USB. And FM radio wouldn't hurt either!

But it's a cool little device as is, music lovers, enjoy!
  • Reply 10 of 55
    I was think about getting the 10 gig iPod, with Dock and engraving. I am not worried about the case since I can get one for nothing from a friend, and I can live without the remote control. I just can't see how I would need 15 gig, 10 gig is still a lot for my small collection. How does the laser engraving look?

$299.00

$39.00

+$19.00

______

357.00 - not a bad price for a quality MP3 player

Like what are some of the cool things you can do with it, I read of people putting programs and files on their iPod, is that true? Does the iPod scratch and get all crappy looking without a case? My Motorola V60T looks like it is made out of the same material and you have to handle it very lightly.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    It can scratch. A case helps.

You can definitely put programs and files on the iPod. It's a normal drive. Very useful for a quick backup of some files.

As long as you're happy with the 10, save yourself the $100. I was happy with a 15, even though I have more than 30 GB of music.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

How does the laser engraving look?

First hand not sure but you can get a rough idea from the Apple online store. Just select an iPod and it comes up with a screen that will allow you to preview laser engravings.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

It can scratch. A case helps.

You can definitely put programs and files on the iPod. It's a normal drive. Very useful for a quick backup of some files.

That is really cool, you can put music on it and files on it. I will have to get the case then or handle it like glass. The 10 gig will be fine for me, I don't even think that I have more than a 1 gig of music currently.

So there aren't any major hardware or software problems with this iPod, like that battery problem?
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:

That is really cool, you can put music on it and files on it. I will have to get the case then or handle it like glass. The 10 gig will be fine for me, I don't even think that I have more than a 1 gig of music currently.

With case and dock you end up just $22 shy of the 15 GB model. 5GB is worth $22 even if you don't think you will use it. If you plan to use it as a removeable hard drive you'll find that fairly easy to fill.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Quote:

So there aren't any major hardware or software problems with this iPod, like that battery problem?

I owned a 5 GB for almost a year and a half (anyone want it still? ) and it had a battery problem but I believe that was finally fixed in a software update by Apple.

The new model so far has exhibited absolutely no problems for me. If anything, it's faster (at least the game is while listening to music.) The 'touch' buttons take a bit of getting used to, but I think this is the most refined version yet. Very slick. Very nice.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    You know you want to, do you need it, no, but you want it and you'll keep on wanting it, so if you can afford it and your kids won't starve or miss some important bill just get one, it will be fun
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Yeah, I am buying it, I am just trying to justify my spending but I don't really care now. LiquidR: I don't have kids since I am only 16.

Does anyone know if the Apple Online Store iPods have been shipped and received yet? Thanks!
  • Reply 18 of 55
    chic4macchic4mac Posts: 99member
    I just bought a fair new ipod (5 gigs/2,000+songs?) on ebay for $175.00, after listening to my brothers and being BLOWN away. He is a big music fan but never was portable with his listening. NOW HE IS. Go get one. It's worth it.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Does anyone know if the Apple Online Store iPods have been shipped and received yet? Thanks!

Yep. I ordered mine early last week and I got it on Friday.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chic4mac

I just bought a fair new ipod (5 gigs/2,000+songs?) on ebay for $175.00, after listening to my brothers and being BLOWN away. He is a big music fan but never was portable with his listening. NOW HE IS. Go get one. It's worth it.

were those songs really worth $50-$75?

I KNOW you can get the 5 gigger cheaper if you looked... there are places to trade in the 5 gigers for $100... something tells me they will be selling them for less then $150...