For those of you still ranting about AMD

brbr
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, here's one good reason for Apple and AMD to have been talking for the last few years...

This is used in the new Airport Extreme Base Stations.

Quote from the web site:

"The CPU is a AMD Au1500 series RISC-based processor. It is based on the MIPS architecture, not PowerPC. At 333MHz it offers a lot of performance using very little power and hence not producing as much heat as more complicated chip architectures."

There you have it folks. No more Apple switching to AMD for their Power Mac line conspiracy theories. LET IT DIE.

Oh, and here's the link to the article.

http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/Dissec...eme/index.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    This has nothing to do with an AMD processor NOT being used in Power Macs.

It only increases the chances of it, as AMD is in desperate need of a Teir-1 OEM, and AMD and Apple now have a proven prior relationship.

Barto
  • Reply 2 of 50
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

This has nothing to do with an AMD processor NOT being used in Power Macs.

It only increases the chances of it, as AMD is in desperate need of a Teir-1 OEM, and AMD and Apple now have a proven prior relationship.

Barto

Or all the talks over the last years have simply been misconstrued and this is the true result of them.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    This is exactly the reason we've heard talk of AMD-Apple relations recently. Now that someone's ripped apart an airport extreme base station, it's painfully obvious. OF COURSE THAT'S WHERE THE CONNECTION IS!!! Opteron or no Opteron...Athlon-64 or no Athlon-64, AMD's business is in embedded processors and flash memory. No matter what Hector does, his corp. will not overtake INTC. It just won't happen. We will never, ever, double never ever see an AMD cpu powering a Macintosh.

So in other words, bring on the 970 babyyyy!!
  • Reply 4 of 50
    "We will never, ever, double never ever see an AMD cpu powering a Macintosh."

It's painfully obvious that you are either slightly slow or a troll. Never is a very, VERY strong word. Who would have thought in 1991 that the PowerPC, the architecture Apple started, would become solely an embedded processor from late 1997 to mid 2003?

I'm not saying it's likely at all. I'm saying it's a option, and the MIPS chip in the AEBS neither adds nor subtracts from the possibility of an AMD-based Power Mac.

Barto
  • Reply 5 of 50
    Quote:

"I''m not saying it's likely at all. I'm saying it's a option, and the MIPS chip in the AEBS neither adds nor subtracts from the possibility of an AMD-based Power Mac.

Barto

You still don't get it.

Let me break this down for you simply.

Apple and AMD have been talking for the last few years.

People have speculated that these talks are about Power Macs.

It is now revealed that AMD is supplying chips for Airport Base Stations.

This is an actual *CONFIRMED* reason for AMD and Apple talking all this time. Is it possible that AMD chips could go in Power Macs? Anything is possible. HOWEVER, now we have concrete evidence of the fruits of at least some of those mysterious talks that everyone and their mother construed as negotations for Apple to jump to their Opteron.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    While I think the AMD/Apple talk is hogwash, the AirPort Extreme Basetation having an AMD processor has little to do with anything. The Snow basestation uses an AMD 486 derivative as well. 'AMD' can be found in quite few boards of older products too.

Apple's just another customer, sheesh. It's ridculous to think they'd have meetings to talk about sales of generic components. Way to start a thread about nothing...
  • Reply 7 of 50
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Apple has used AMD embedded CPUs since the beginning of the Airport...

I know this for a fact, since we have been ripping Airports apart, loading propriety firmware onto them, placing them in an ugly-arsed outdoor chassis (mounting on towers) & selling them for about US$5,000.00 per link...

You could get about 10 miles or so, with amps on each end and 100ft + towers...

;^p
  • Reply 8 of 50
    The AEBS provides a plausible explanation for Apple/AMD talks.

But that doesn't mean that Apple is only interested in MIPS chips and Flash RAM from AMD. They could be discussing all kinds of other things, like AMD based Power Macs, especially with a healthy working relationship they've evidently established.

Also as Eugene pointed out, they are generic components. Apple probably talked to AMD to get the best deal (buying in such huge volumes), but they could have purchased the chips through a reseller. It could be that Apple is looking at using Opteron chips, and this is completely co-incidental.

There are ways in which this increases the chance that Apple is going to make AMD based Macs, and ways in which it decreases it. I don't believe it's significant either way. Use of AMD chips would be unexpected, but I don't see what the AEBS has to do with anything.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Apple has used AMD embedded CPUs since the beginning of the Airport...

I know this for a fact, since we have been ripping Airports apart, loading propriety firmware onto them, placing them in an ugly-arsed outdoor chassis (mounting on towers) & selling them for about US$5,000.00 per link...

You could get about 10 miles or so, with amps on each end and 100ft + towers...

;^p

Listen carefully BR:

SMACKDOWN!
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Quote:

Listen carefully BR:

SMACKDOWN!

Eat me.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    my dad can beat up your dad
  • Reply 12 of 50
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I opened up my Mac SE and there was an AMD chip on the motherboard and I am pretty sure it was the SCSI controller.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    offtopic.. but i wanna see a pic of MacRonin's towers
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

offtopic.. but i wanna see a pic of MacRonin's towers

Well, many of these are in use by YDI. They make home brewed wireless stuff which our company has been buying for 2 (almost 3) years. You can get towers from them with the same guts. (though they don't mention what the guts are on the site)

The EtherAnts and EtherAnt 2s don't , but the LR EtherAnt does (if I recall)
  • Reply 15 of 50
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I opened up my Mac SE and there was an AMD chip on the motherboard and I am pretty sure it was the SCSI controller.

Yep, there's one on my 7500 motherboard as well. Guess that means that Apple IS going with AMD chips...and they have been for a long time.

What it has to do with Apple's CPU of choice, I'm not really sure. Personally, I don't think they'll ever use an x86 if they can help it, because they would be out of business very soon if they did.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Well, here's one good reason for Apple and AMD to have been talking for the last few years...

This is used in the new Airport Extreme Base Stations.

Quote from the web site:

"The CPU is a AMD Au1500 series RISC-based processor. It is based on the MIPS architecture, not PowerPC. At 333MHz it offers a lot of performance using very little power and hence not producing as much heat as more complicated chip architectures."

There you have it folks. No more Apple switching to AMD for their Power Mac line conspiracy theories. LET IT DIE.

Oh, and here's the link to the article.

http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/Dissec...eme/index.html

I think it's funny that one more reasonable explanation to something pop's up in a rumor forum, and the mindless baboons come out, and criticize the reality they cant face.

I think it's possible that Apple's talks with AMD could have much to do with this particular processor. What if AMD was thinking about ending this particular embedded processor to free up more cash for R, & D in their struggle to keep up, and surpass Intel? That would bring me to germany in a heartbeat to see if there any alternatives, or a resolution. Airport has to keep evolving. AMD is supplying the main processor for it. I would be concerned.

I don't doubt that Apple has chatted about Hyper-Transport with them. I also think it's possible that little AMD chips similar to this one may be going into the 970 motherboard's, and I'm sure Apple has interest in that if they are in deed using any.

AMD had been in talks with motorola as well for a time, and I don't know if IBM, and AMD have any sort of relationship, but if I were Apple I would be looking to replace the M, in AIM research group (Apple, IBM, Motorola).

For the most part I think this is a relevant post because I don't see Apple going with anything other the PPC EVER!, and IS NEVER GOING TO USE X86 in a PowerMac, or any Mac.

So in addition to hyper-transport, Apple certainly does have at least one more reasonable explanation for talking to AMD.

Good job spotting this one BR.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I think it's funny that one more reasonable explanation to something pop's up in a rumor forum, and the mindless baboons come out, and criticize the reality they cant face.

I think it's possible that Apple's talks with AMD could have much to do with this particular processor. What if AMD was thinking about ending this particular embedded processor to free up more cash for R, & D in their struggle to keep up, and surpass Intel? That would bring me to germany in a heartbeat to see if there any alternatives, or a resolution. Airport has to keep evolving. AMD is supplying the main processor for it. I would be concerned.

I don't doubt that Apple has chatted about Hyper-Transport with them. I also think it's possible that little AMD chips similar to this one may be going into the 970 motherboard's, and I'm sure Apple has interest in that if they are in deed using any.

AMD had been in talks with motorola as well for a time, and I don't know if IBM, and AMD have any sort of relationship, but if I were Apple I would be looking to replace the M, in AIM research group (Apple, IBM, Motorola).

For the most part I think this is a relevant post because I don't see Apple going with anything other the PPC EVER!, and IS NEVER GOING TO USE X86 in a PowerMac, or any Mac.

So in addition to hyper-transport, Apple certainly does have at least one more reasonable explanation for talking to AMD.

Good job spotting this one BR.

Finally a sane person. Thanks.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Also, IBM has publicly stated it wants many more PPC partners to spread the architecture around more - part of this was the open PPC PDA spec.

Despite the love affair geeks have with AMD, they are a struggling company that needs all the customers it can get. Intel could easily crush them, as could MS (it doesn't have to make Windows run on AMD).

Apple and AMD may well have been talking, but if it is about CPUs it will be PPC ones not x86. More likely though is that it's about some new custom chip for an as yet unreleased product.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Did you read the thread, onlooker? BR's original post is pretty silly.

Apple doesn't need to engage AMD in talks just to use their embedded chips. The embedded chip market doesn't turn over that much. Motorola still manufactures 68000s for example. There's really no danger of that AMD chip suddenly not being manufactured anymore. Besides, that's at most a couple of 30 minute phonecalls.

AMD wouldn't bother anyway. The price of these components is probably not negotiable in quantity.

I don't care about mystery AMD/Apple talks and BR's revelation doesn't shed any light on that anyway.

Next topic, PLEASE.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Did you read the thread, onlooker? BR's original post is pretty silly.

Apple doesn't need to engage AMD in talks just to use their embedded chips. The embedded chip market doesn't turn over that much. Motorola still manufactures 68000s for example. There's really no danger of that AMD chip suddenly not being manufactured anymore. Besides, that's at most a couple of 30 minute phonecalls.

AMD wouldn't bother anyway. The price of these components is probably not negotiable in quantity.

I don't care about mystery AMD/Apple talks and BR's revelation doesn't shed any light on that anyway.

Next topic, PLEASE.

Totally agree with Eugene here. Personally, I don't think Apple is ever going to use an AMD cpu. But, the fact that Apple uses a generic part, manufactured by AMD doesn't mean that's what they have been in discussions over. The chip in the AEB is just a component part, not something Apple would be in high level negotiations with AMD about. Apple uses a lot of wires and solder, but I don't think they are negotiating those at high levels. It just doesn;t make sense for there to be executive level negotiations over generic parts.