Anyone conected an apple display to a PC?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm looking at getting and apple monitor to share betweeen my work PC and home MAC.

The apple guy at my local store says that only the 17" will work, and not all that well. He says the 20" is out of the question.

I'm sure I've heard of it being done on these boards.

If so what graphics card is required and any particluar brand of dvi-adc addaptor?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    http://www.apple.com/displays/adapter.html

My PC is blessed with an ADC Apple monitor. It works fine and looks great. Unless the 20" has some evil microchip built into it, I don't see why it wouldn't work the same.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    go dog gogo dog go Posts: 9member
    Steve

What graphics card do you have and which display.

I thought it was as easy as an adapter but my apple store says the new ones require 10.2 (ie not pc compatable)

Hope fully in a couple of weeks I can sort this out and get my self 20 or 23 inches of heaven.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Some kind of Radeon 9000. The monitor itself is a discontinued fifteen-inch. The reason those new monitors require 10.2, I'm guessing, is because only Jaguar has the drivers for the ADC on that particular model. Once you make that bad boy go DVI, I think it just becomes your run-of-the-mill, plug and play screen, essentially working with anything. Granted, you can't calibrate all the gamma/contrast/etc. do-dads and stuff, since in the Mac OS, those functions are software based, whereas in Windows, you do that sort of thing on the hardware itself.

EDIT: Whoa, that thing's $99 now? I feel so ripped off...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Search the Peripherals Forum on MacNN. You'll find detailed instructions on using ACDs with Wintel PCs.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I have my G4 Quicksilver and AMD plugged to the same 17. (just so ya know) So yah, it can be done. I use a converter box (bought at DrBot if I recall) and a normal 'switch' box.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    posted 05-08-2003 03:38 PM _ _ _ _ _ \t _

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search the Peripherals Forum on MacNN. You'll find detailed instructions on using ACDs with Wintel PCs.

Escher

Escher, thanks for the lead. That forum was a great source of information.

G d G