NHL Playoffs 2003

Comments

• Reply 161 of 259
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Larry Robinson would be my first or second choice to head up a team, along with Bob Hartley. How those two wound up where they are [makes me question their respective GMs]. Nothing against Tony Granato - I'm sure he'll make a good coach - but Hartley was not the Avs' problem. I think LaCroix himself is becoming the problem. Too many short-sighted moves in the last 12 months. As an Avs fan it scares me a bit.

I don't know what it was about the 2002 off season / 2003 season, but so many good GM's made so many *bad* moves....

Vrbata was clearly a blossoming star and Pierre traded him away for a guy who had one good season in Carolina. Drury was possibly the most clutch playoff scorer I've seen in years when paired with Foresberg, so trading him for Morris (an offensive defensman IMO) was not smart either. Foresberg and Sakic and Hejduk won't be around forever. The idea is to get guys like Drury and Vrbata in position to compete with the likes of Zetterberg and Datsyuk in the coming years, not trade them for guys that *might* help win a Cup on particular year.

Besides, Derek Morris isn't going to hit / stand anybody up at the blue line or around the crease, so he didn't really address the Avs' fundamental defensive weakness. Maybe Marchment will stick around and play better when he has a chance to start fresh with the team, but...

...that's another story.
  • Reply 162 of 259
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The Drury trade made no sense to me. And I agree that Hartley wasn't the problem in Colorado. Having said that, if I were a GM and someone offered me Drury, I'd take him. He's the new Claude Lemieux. He's somewhat wasted in Calgary.

Both the Avs and the Devils had the same problem with complacency among its players. Robinson is a great coach, but both in NJ and LA, he just couldn't seem to keep players working to their full potential more than a few games at a time. I know a lot of the old Kings and Devils players under him feel very badly. It's going to be tough to get another head coaching job, and I'm not sure he's the right man for the Rangers because the Rangers are the ultimate bunch of self-absorbed children. Robinson couldn't possibly get through to them -- he's too good for them.

I'm sure Lamorillo sees this year and next as the last big contention years for the Devils before they have to rebuild for another 3-4. The impending retirement of Stevens, Daneyko and Nieuwendyk will change the complexion of the team a lot. Niedermayer, Rafalski, and Brodeur will make the transition of course, but they have to find some new talent both at defense and of course offense. It's interesting to remember they gave up defenders like Mitchell, Bombardir, Odelein and Morrison to contend for the Cup now rather than later.
  • Reply 163 of 259
    I would say that JS Giguere has given himself a name already and he kind of reminds me of Patrick Roy in some plays. He is going to be one hell of a goalie in the next couple of years.
  • Reply 164 of 259
    Anaheim is winning 1-0. This series looks like it is going to be a low scoring one.
  • Reply 165 of 259
    *coughBoringcough*

• Reply 166 of 259
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

*coughBoringcough*

Very boring. At least there is some action in the Ottawa, NJ series.
  • Reply 167 of 259
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

I would say that JS Giguere has given himself a name already and he kind of reminds me of Patrick Roy in some plays. He is going to be one hell of a goalie in the next couple of years.

He looks like Ken Dryden in there. He just stands there, kicks pucks out... probably yawning the whole time. His pulse is probably no faster than most people's at rest.

Hell of a goalie. Well, obviously, since he was brought along by the Flames. Goddamn Calgary. Giguere, Neidermayer, Roloson, Walz.... *sigh*

• Reply 168 of 259
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    so to keep things going, we need to win the next one, then lose another one.

then we can win from a 3-1 defeciet again.
  • Reply 169 of 259
    Uh oh. NJ 2-0 at first intermission in Game 2. According to vaunted announcer Steve Levy, 70% of the teams that win game 2 win the series (9 of 12 this year)... ooooo.

• Reply 170 of 259
    Hockey stats are almost as inane as baseball stats. Having said that, do Devs.

Of course our favorite underachiever sat it out, but I do have a soft spot for Dano. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for him. We'll see.

ESPN seems to be in love with the Sens judging by the coverage on SportsCenter. ("Look at Hossa! Look at Alfredsen! Look at Bonk! Oh, yeah, Devils won.") Wish I caught the game.
  • Reply 171 of 259
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Uh oh. NJ 2-0 at first intermission in Game 2. According to vaunted announcer Steve Levy, 70% of the teams that win game 2 win the series (9 of 12 this year)... ooooo.

Anything is possible in the playoffs and Ottawa lost game 2 against Philly and they still won.
  • Reply 172 of 259
    Giguere is in the Wild's collective head. Gaborik forced his shot way too soon -- Giguere made Gabby make the first move. Then the Wild powerplay had everyone fearing to even put a shot on him, way too much passig down low in the slot.
  • Reply 173 of 259
    grr, i'm missing the game tonight.

although it sounds like as a Wild fan that might not be all bad.
  • Reply 174 of 259
    They got a little better last I checked in the second. Giuere has been popping up rebounds -- straight up in the air, but the Wild players are trying too hard to find a the perfect shot, and they're posing in front of the net more than they're crashing it.
  • Reply 175 of 259
    So Wild fans, you think you guys will be the (third if I remember correctly) team in NHL history to come back from 3-0?

• Reply 176 of 259
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    four minutes left and 4-0 Ducks.

All that remains is the mindwarp of a JS Shu**ut
  • Reply 177 of 259
    so were the wild the first team to win back to back 1-3 series?

just askin'

(and no, i don't think they'll win it)
  • Reply 178 of 259
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
  • Reply 179 of 259
    4-0 Ducks, I can't believe it. Minnesota has not shown up at all in this series. Poor poor Minny.
  • Reply 180 of 259
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    i'm sure the disney folks are already scripting a "miracle team" story based on knocking off seeds #1, #2, ...

Giguere's agent must be wetting himself