Collection of *confirmed* Panther info.

Comments

• Reply 101 of 227
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    I'm quite cool about iapps having 'metal' interfaces. It distinguishes it, for me, from the rest of the Aqua desktop. I wish they'd can the interface pin-stripes. Classic iMac is gone...and I think they should go from 'X' as well.

Apple white would be fine...or metallic white...a hint of grey here or there to add depth. Bit like that subtle stuff that goes on in their print adds...

Or make translucent blue like the dock. Either way, let go of the pin-stripes.

I'd also like to see more 3d effects and QE gubbins. More fluid effects. The 970 should herald the oomph to do 'pile' type effects and have multiple desktop screens on rotating Cube style transitions.

The option to take stuff out the dock and plonk it on your desktop. Put the trash there. Have the 'X' support 'Mac 9' interface layout if necessary...to get over more of those 25 million Mac users across. Does it really matter to secure Next's place in history? I'd like more 'Mac feel' to the next release. More clickety-bickety sounds. Jaguar's good. But it's far from the finished item in terms of the deft touches enjoyed by Mac 9 users. Optimisations could afford more, no?

I like 'X'. But it doesn't have the charm of 9 yet. Ironic that all the eye-candy in the world can't give you that 'X-factor', eh?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 102 of 227
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    man, I have lost faith in LoopRumors

their website has become muddled, whereas it used to have a nice clean website....

also, they used to be conservative in their sayings, now they are throwing out these outrageous claims!
  • Reply 103 of 227
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Improved Dock. You will now be able to control document windows that are sent to the dock. Click and hold on the window's icon in the Dock to Save, Print or Close that window.

I wonder if this means you can print Finder windows again. (PS: I know about the drop proxy on the Print Center trick.)
  • Reply 104 of 227
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I wonder if this means you can print Finder windows again.

Is there any doubt that this will be advertised as a Major Feature in the Panther marketing campaign?
  • Reply 105 of 227
    code mastercode master Posts: 344member
    Out of curiosity, why do people print finder windows? for a list of file names and some attributes? (assuming the list isn't too long..)
  • Reply 106 of 227
    It's usually for backup/inventory purposes. Really, Apple should couple it with either their .Mac Backup app or with Disk Copy in some capacity.
  • Reply 107 of 227
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I see Apple changing OS X to take the jobs of several small utilities: you know, Windowshade X, Transparent Dock, Fruitmenu-- all of the OS X customization apps.
  • Reply 108 of 227
    It would be nice to have more customisation options in 10.3 than is now available built-in to the OS. Bring back the system sounds!
  • Reply 109 of 227
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I see Apple changing OS X to take the jobs of several small utilities: you know, Windowshade X, Transparent Dock, Fruitmenu-- all of the OS X customization apps.

Now this is a good call. I sincerely hope they will.
  • Reply 110 of 227
    Somehow I doubt they would just add these things straight-up. If they did add the functionality, they would probably do it in a way that fits the current window management model they have now.
  • Reply 111 of 227
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Hmmm... Windowshade and BeHeirachic started off as third party additions before being incorporated into System 7. So it's not infeasible!

Amorya
  • Reply 112 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

OK, stop it now! I get it - you just didn't understand what I was asking about earlier.

I said: But is it easy to make a brushed metal look if you don't use IB?

You said: You *do* use IB

I said: I don't think people are using IB if they code in CodeWarrior or other developer tools.

You said: If they use CodeWarrior, they don't use Project Builder either.

I said: Which I never said they did.

Confusing conversation

To clear it up: You don't have to use nib files to get the brushed metal look, so you don't have to use IB either. Even RealBasic has no problems making metal windows, and RealBasic doesn't even use bundles, let alone nib files.
  • Reply 113 of 227
    What do you think about Panther Public Beta requiring an Online Activation?
  • Reply 114 of 227
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

What do you think about Panther Public Beta requiring an Online Activation?

I don't see this happening to any Apple OS in the near future. At least not until it is more common in other software programs. If it will, I'm sure it will be dealt with in a different and more elegant way than ms is now with XP, and maybe not requiering you to give them your personal information. I'm sure it would stop a lot of pirating of OS X which i recon is quite widespread for the moment, and that would earn Apple some more money. For me it will not make much of a difference since I buy "all" of my software anyway, but if it happens, the activation prosedure have to be easy and relatively hassle-free. And I don't think Apple will make unregistered computers stop working after 30 days. Maybe just giving you a message to register for every 30 mins or so, making it enough of a hassle for you to bother to register or buy the os if you're using a pirated version.
  • Reply 115 of 227
    Sorry, didn't mean to start a debate. I have been discussing this with two friends of mine (the same which say panther won't be G3 friendly) who believe (strongly) that Panther PB requires you to enter your ADC ID and email upon installation. Then it emails you a custom 'built on the fly' 500kb file which is your 'software key'. It links your computer to your ID and won't allow any others to use the same key. The idea being that this will keep all the Public Beta users in contact with Apple. The final version however will not have this and will continue to be like all previous Mac OSes.

This seems like a decent idea since the POINT of a Public Beta is to further test and report problems. Hence I don't see any reason to doubt their belief (even if the purported version of Panther PB doesn't exist yet)

Just thoughts over late morning coffee...
  • Reply 116 of 227
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Sorry, didn't mean to start a debate.

Apology accepted
    Quote:

I have been discussing this with two friends of mine (the same which say panther won't be G3 friendly) who believe (strongly) that Panther PB requires you to enter your ADC ID and email upon installation. Then it emails you a custom 'built on the fly' 500kb file which is your 'software key'. It links your computer to your ID and won't allow any others to use the same key. The idea being that this will keep all the Public Beta users in contact with Apple.

Seems reasonable
    Quote:

The final version however will not have this and will continue to be like all previous Mac OSes.

This seems most likely I guess.
    Quote:

This seems like a decent idea since the POINT of a Public Beta is to further test and report problems. Hence I don't see any reason to doubt their belief (even if the purported version of Panther PB doesn't exist yet)

Taking a "before dinner coffee" myself (time is currently 16:58 here)
  • Reply 117 of 227
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Sorry, didn't mean to start a debate. I have been discussing this with two friends of mine (the same which say panther won't be G3 friendly) who believe (strongly) that Panther PB requires you to enter your ADC ID and email upon installation. Then it emails you a custom 'built on the fly' 500kb file which is your 'software key'. It links your computer to your ID and won't allow any others to use the same key. The idea being that this will keep all the Public Beta users in contact with Apple. The final version however will not have this and will continue to be like all previous Mac OSes.

I'd believe that in a second. Apple has reportedly been very irritated by leaks of OS X beta seeds.

Especially now that MS is in the midst of developing Longhorn, it's crucial that Apple keep Panther under wraps for as long as possible.

Calling Panther "not G3-friendly", OTOH, sounds misleading to me. That's just the flip side, for example, of "even more optimized for AltiVec". Great for G4+ () users, no effect for G3 users.
  • Reply 118 of 227
    that's not a 'public' beta.

that's a developer seed.
  • Reply 119 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Calling Panther "not G3-friendly", OTOH, sounds misleading to me. That's just the flip side, for example, of "even more optimized for AltiVec". Great for G4+ () users, no effect for G3 users.

You bring up a good point. Perhaps by 'not G3 native' doesn't mean 'not G3 compatible' but simply 'not optimized for G3'.

Every time I bring this up people quote the iBook story and say that they will have to stop shipping G3s for over a year and a half before the next OS drops them. I disagree. We are in changing time with AAPL and I don't see the future of the G3 running a 64 bit OS. That is like running XP on a P1 or P2. It can be done, but SHOULD it be done?

I suspect Panther will retain enough of Jaguar to allow all previous apps to function both ways. This means that Jaguar iBook owners aren't out 'in the cold' so to speak, instead they are able to run modern sofware, but not the latest and spankinest OS without some upgrades. I would counter qoute, "What the *ell is Apple gonna do? Ship free ram upgardes for all these RAM starved iBooks with each Panther purchase? Or are we to believe that somehow Panther will use LESS memory and perform with MORE power. I don't see either of these happening.

In any case, in a few months this will be a moot point so there really is no need for us to argue about it. (sorry I started something)

PS< Whew! Now I don't have the evil 666 anymore.
  • Reply 120 of 227
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Apple is currently not in the appropriate position to kick customers in the guts; and not giving Panther to millions of iMac/iBook/BW G3 users means deliberately kicking 'em in the balls.