And you thought Fran had it bad, check this out!

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Drug user since 1995. Toilet paper user since the late seventies.
  • Reply 62 of 76
    matthwumatthwu Posts: 6member
    hmurchison, do you ever know what you're talking about? When I mention a CPU being bottlenecked because of shitty FSB, you don't sit there and try and change the subject. The reason you're all so pissed with John is because he says what is true, and for once a PC community listens to what an ignorant Mac user has to say. John only states things that we PC users have known for the longest of times. As far as the "bold MS in the MSNBC" thing goes, that's pathetic, as if you ask any PC user, almost any of us will admit to hating Bill Gates, and even Microsoft. Why don't you try actually sticking to the arguement at hand for a change? That may help you, just a little. I have a suggestion for you Apple Insider loosers: the next time you receive a check from Apple, don't cash it. That way, when I accuse you of saying you are paid by Apple you won't be lying when you say you aren't. Then, once you do that, the following check is all yours to cash.
  • Reply 63 of 76
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What articles?
  • Reply 64 of 76
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Matty you are a piece of work.
  • Reply 65 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by MattHWU

When I mention a CPU being bottlenecked because of shitty FSB, you don't sit there and try and change the subject.

So what? This has been mentioned about ONE MILLION times on these very boards you're doing your best to antagonize. What do you want to hear? Oooooh, that John, he's SOOO smart, WE DIDN'T KNOW THAT!? Strange that this never came up in any of the 346000 posts to date. You and John, you deserve some kind of Nobel price.

Quote:

The reason you're all so pissed with John is because he says what is true, and for once a PC community listens to what an ignorant Mac user has to say.

Uh-uh

The reason people are fed up with this whiney moron is because he self handedly wrecks a beautiful piece of equipment, tries to blame it on the company, doesn't get the proper results and then does a 180 on his stance versus Apple. Where Apple could do no wrong, they suddenly can do no right. The reason being his maladroitness. Plenty of people criticizing Apple here on a regular basis. Right, Matsu? But most do so to foster legit discussion, not because out of some personal pent-up frustration.

Quote:

I have a suggestion for you Apple Insider loosers: the next time you receive a check from Apple, don't cash it. That way, when I accuse you of saying you are paid by Apple you won't be lying when you say you aren't. Then, once you do that, the following check is all yours to cash.

Why don't you try your luck at sticking your tongue up your arse? Don't get me wrong though, I just don't like to be insulted by a keyboard shuffling waterhead.
  • Reply 66 of 76
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Is the argument that mac is in trouble? Yep, can't really disagree, though there's reason for hope.

or

Is the argument that mac is in trouble because Manzione is pissed about his PB17? Then there is no hope, for Manzione.

Is it too late to IBL my own thread!

No one has been more pessimistic about Apple than me, but all along I have always said that they have the stuff to make good if they can just get competitive prices. Performance swings from one side to the other, macs were far faster once, PC desktops are much faster now. In 6 months, PC laptops may have better run time and unplugged performance than the best PPC, and the best desktop PPC will probably trounce Intel. Back and forth. Price is the bottom line here, Apple needs to learn this.

The rest of your ranting Matt, is clearly trollage. At least do it well. Read my threads, two pages on a subject I never really believed to begin with. See how it's done. Now go find yor own bridge to live under.

Marketshare is reaching a critical point, but the consumer upswing is reason for hope. If they could get the edu numbers back, and get pro customers buying again, and make a retail presence in markets that matter, Canada (not just cause I live here, but because we make great per capita use of the internet and our computer buying compares very favorably with the USA), the UK, and Japan, just to start.
  • Reply 67 of 76
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I will only say this one more time.

Do.

Not.

Feed.

The.

Trolls.

Those would be the juveniles drinking the "Mac users are all ignorant and worthless" Kool-Aid.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    What can I say, the troll caught me. I'm sorry, and embarrassed.
  • Reply 69 of 76
    Got it Amorph
  • Reply 70 of 76
    matthwumatthwu Posts: 6member
    lmao, ok Mac freaks. You do that. =P
  • Reply 71 of 76
    doctorgonzodoctorgonzo Posts: 529member
    This is why I love taking my iBook to my local Apple Store.

I've had a number of odd problems with it, but they know me well enough that I don't get any suspicious treatment from them. They know if something is broken, that it is almost certainly an accident or fault in the hardware itself.

The reaction I usually get from them is one of amazement that my machine is in such great shape after a year.
  • Reply 72 of 76
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Manzione's at it again.

If you don't bother to read it that's okay but don't flame me for bringing this up again.

Some bits from the article:

Quote:

(Isn?t it ironic that Microsoft will show off technology that isn?t due for 18 months while Apple keeps everything secret until it?s officially announced? Want to know what?s in Panther? Wait for the WWDC.)

I think both we as mac users, and Jobs, like to be surprised. What's the fun of a new os release when everybody knows what it's about. Apple also needs to keep it's secrets close at heart so the competition won't copy it before Apple can make use of it to tell people that "this is why the mac is a better choice for you" and "we innovate".

Quote:

You might be surprised that many PC users are not looking forward to Longhorn. The serious PC user, the ones who care more about raw speed then good looks are dreading this new OS. Their biggest complaint? Eye Candy.

The hardcore guys maybe, but I think consumers like eye candy, and it's one of the main reason why people want to update their system. New features and better looks are important to people. Performance is also important, but for the average joe the performance is no problem with most of todays hardware.

Quote:

I?ve seen an early build of Longhorn in action and I was very impressed. Right now, 18 months before the ship date, Longhorn is more capable than OS X 10.0 was.

But Longhorn is not a COMPLETELY new os for microsoft. I think 10.0 was more of a preview of os X, a gift to early adopters and people who like to play with new stuff, than Apple trying to release a "complete" operating system. It just was important for them to reasure people that they were working on something really cool and that had great potential. Heck, even Apple has said this. It's more of a evolution, and most features in the current bulids are also present in XP.

Quote:

But Microsoft has not been standing still, they?ve been learning, thinking, and scheming. Faced with looking at an OS that was surely more capable than Windows, 10 times more stable than Windows (some say), and knowing full well that the ?eye candy? offered by OS X was eliciting a lot of ?oohs and ahhhs? from millions of potential customers Microsoft made a smart move?bring that ubiquitous computer future to market sooner rather than later.

Apple isn't standing still either. Longhorn is 18 months away, and a few months will probably be added to that as time goes. We've now had a decent os for about a year and we have panther around the corner. Noone outside of Apple knows anything about panther. We don't know anything about speed, features or what kind of new eye candy Apple has come up with. But there will probably be addes some cool new effects, further refinements of the user interface will be showed. Speed will be improved, and it will bring 64 bit computing (hopefully) to the general public. There will probably be a lot of "oohs and ahhhs" from thousands of potential customers, and I think a lot of people will finally take the jump from os 9. Persuaded by both hardware and software this time. Many people may also have to buy new machines to run xPress, and not before long consumers will have the ability to buy powerful new computers in the form of the "iMac 64".

Quote:

Gates even previewed a concept PC built by Microsoft and HP that many Mac and PC users have scoffed at but many consumers are drooling over. The PC just looks cool.

But this is a prototype. Apple could probably have showed us a thousand of "really cool" looking computers too, but I think it's more important what acutally reaches the market. I think the current line up is quite cool, and it can only get better.

Quote:

Longhorn is still in the alpha stages and the feature set hasn?t even been locked yet (at least that is what I have been told), so any argument about Panther or the next ?cat? coming from Apple by the time Longhorn ships just doesn?t matter. But, even in it?s alpha stage Longhorn works.

Huh

Quote:

When Longhorn ships the average person will see no discernible difference between it and OS X-whatever.

I wouldn't bet on that. Thats two new big cats from Apple. Who knows what they can come up with before that. Aqua as we know it may only be a "proof of concept" and with Quartz Extreme already being put to work on most macs running os X today, it may reach a refinement and speed in two years that can match or surpass everyting that comes out of Redmond. By that time we'll also have much more powerful processors, at least in the form of the 980, and with the 990 around the corner. Exiting times this will be.

Quote:

In order to keep their current user base in tact Apple must face up to the fact that in 18 months or less there will be no discernible difference to the average consumer between a Mac and a PC.

But there isn't much difference today either. Not many of my friends can tell a pc from a mac, but if they manage to stay at the current market share or maybe rise just a little that will be enough for me.

Quote:

Mac users should understand that this was inevitable, the day that computer platforms merged was only a matter of time, and that time is 2005. It?s not speculation, it?s not wishful thinking, and it?s not necessarily doom and gloom for Apple. It is, however, very real. If Apple doesn?t understand this, if Apple is not ready to do whatever it can to keep its core user base, the only thing left for Apple to market with be Apple?s Logo, whatever that?s worth.

I think Apple is very aware of the threat from Redmond in the shape of longhorn. With MS doing frequent leaks and showing off new features Apple does not have much of a problem keeping track on the evolution of the new windows os. It will be interesting to see how Apple tackles this, and I think we'll see a little preview with the release of panther. And if Apple improves os X at the same rate it has done in the last few years, I don't fear this scenario very much. I think you will be able to tell Apples from oranges in 2005 too. Who knows what cool stuff Apple has come up with before then.
  • Reply 73 of 76
    It's just another fluff piece from Manzione. His "new" writing style is simplistic. He tends to ramble on and on but never backs his data up. After wasting minutes of my life reading this I know NOTHING more about Longhorn than before I started reading other than it supposedly will match an OSX version which hasn't even been started.

Then there's the obligatory "Manzione Rant" inserted in the ending about Apple Customer Service.

Ahhhhh remember Microsofts "Chrome" technology that was supposed to revolutionize the Web Graphics. Remember Farenheit? MS and SGI working together. Bah....MS is for itself on only itself. Longhorn will be nothing special that Mac users will envy. My God 18 months? That's Panther...and then another yearly update and then halfway towards the successor to Panther Successor LOL. Somebody wake me up when there is some real news.
  • Reply 74 of 76
    trebuchettrebuchet Posts: 176member
    Hmmm. I could post my long story about my little dilemna with my Powerbook. Here is the email I sent yesterday to Apple:

Subject: My Powerbook Dilemna

To whom it may concern:

This is a story of what has happened thus far with my 12" Powerbook I purchased very recently and why I am very frustrated with the situation.

I purchased my 12" Powerbook, 40 gig, Combo drive model, from an Apple retailer on April 18th, 2003. I sold my 800 mhz iBook and was excited about stepping up to a G4. I drove 3 hours to a reliable retailer to pick up my new computer. I got home and was very excited about installing my software and personal data and seeing what it could do. That excitement was quickly stifled when my Powerbook stopped accepting discs into the slot loader. Yes, only after inserting 4 discs, the slot loading mechanism had failed. I called on 4/19 to get it fixed and they sent me a box to send it in for repair. I packaged it very carefully, following the enclosed instructions fully and even going so far as to insert a thin piece of foam between the screen and keyboard. I wanted to protect my new investment from any damage. It took a while for that fix, I am assuming, because they needed to order parts (it was on hold for about a week).

I received my computer back May 1, 2003. I opened the case expecting to see the computer I had only used for a few hours, in brand new condition. I was shocked to see my computer had been abused during the repair process. It had not been packaged with the same care I had put into it, most notably missing the piece of foam between the keyboard and screen. When I put it on my desk, I noticed a small one inch long scratch in my LCD screen. Then I noticed my keyboard wasn't flat anymore, lifted quite noticeably above where the repair was done on my computer. I was furious. My brand new computer was scratched up and in nowhere near the same condition as when I sent it off for repair. I could not send it in immediately because I am attending college and had data on my computer essential to my studies. When I felt I could be without my computer for an extended period of time, I called AppleCare Support and voiced my disappointment with the damage done to my computer.

The first person I spoke with suggested I take it to the store I bought it from and ask them to exchange it. First, I told her, I was not about to drive 200 miles to have the store I purchased the machine from deal with a mistake Apple made. That wouldn't be fair to them at all. She offered me no other solution to my problem. I was pretty upset about how it was handled and decided to call back the next day, hoping to hear of other options. I spoke to a gentleman the next day and he was quite helpful. He said that they would send a repair box for me and that they would replace the LCD and fix my keyboard. I packed it up exactly as I had done before and sent it off.

I sent my computer off May 14th and received it back quite quickly. I got it today, May 19th, and opened the box up only to be disappointed again. The LCD was replaced, but the screen assembly was not put back together properly. There is a sizable gap between the lid and the plastic moulding on the screen. I am afraid to squeeze it back together myself for fear of damaging the screen. The top of the computer case is also scratched up a bit. Not incredibly bad, but frustrating nonetheless. Then there is the issue with the keyboard: It does not appear to be fixed at all, the keys still lifted on the right hand side, just as they were when I sent it off the second time. I noticed, once again, no foam padding to protect my screen during shipment.

I have owned this computer a total of 30 days. I have had it in a somewhat useable condition for 13 of those days. The rest of the time, it has been in transit or in repair. So you should be able to understand why I am so frustrated. If my computer had just been fixed and handled properly the first time, I wouldn't be writing about it now. Then I thought the second time I sent it in, they would be more careful to fix it properly. But it wasn't handled properly and I am beyond frustrated with how this has been handled.

I really like Apple products. I have used them professionally in the printing industry and for personal use at home for years. I think OSX is the greatest OS yet. I have convinced a few people to jump ship and give Macs a try because of my praises. But now, I am having second thoughts. This ordeal has caused me a lot of trouble and put me in a tough spot, as I am a college student that heavily relies on having a computer at my disposal whenever necessary. Thats what was so appealing about the new Powerbooks: Small, portable and within reason on a college student's budget. But I haven't even had it long enough to know how good it is. I honestly haven't even had the chance to use it outside my home. So you can see why I would be angry about the screen and case getting scratched. It has had to go back twice, both during critical times for me in school. Once during an important essay and once during midterms. Having your data and the freedom to work with it when you want to taken away causes a lot of stress.

This is why I wrote instead of calling AppleCare Service. I feel I need to talk to someone thats going to get me results. I do not want to go without a computer again. It was brought to my attention that if this computer needed repair again, within 60 days of this repair, it would be replaced with a new machine. I think it may take more than that to make me happy. I cannot believe the trouble I have gone through, with a new machine, and it just gets worse. I have only had this thing in my hands for 13 days and its beat up. For a computer thats sat in one place on a desk, it should still look new and continue to look new for quite a while. I find it hard to believe that I would have to get the same things repaired twice.

I would very much like to talk to someone about how to resolve this matter. Feel free to email me or call.

Stacy A Schrag

xxx-xxx-xxxx

Here are my Dispatch ID numbers:

xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx

Needless to say, I received a call from one of the higher Apple execs today and I was very well taken care of. When I made my previous claims with Apple, I never got angry or demanded anything extrta. I just wanted my computer fixed and in the condition it should be after only having it for a total of 13 days. I am getting a new machine in a few days, with a hard drive bump up to 60 gigs, free of charge. I also have 30 days to transfer data and get the original unit back to them. The gentleman I talked to appreciated my patience in the whole matter. I have no complaints about how this has been handled. I guess I'm not labeled as a "problem customer" like someone we know.

What goes around, comes around. This guy with his broken machines sounds like a total jackass.
  • Reply 75 of 76
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    trebuchet: You offer a good moral for the story: If you act decently towards Apple and don't publicize every single problem you have on the interent, Apple, or any company for that matter, will probably follow through also and offer you a the solution you propose as long as it is reasonable. Sometimes you just have to go through multiple people.

The angrier you get, the worse the service.
  • Reply 76 of 76
    Quote:

Originally posted by trebuchet

This guy with his broken machines sounds like a total jackass.

Like I've written elsewhere: Being a jackass both feeds his ego and guarantees him lots of hits at his Apple bashing site.