Blondes, Brunnettes or Redheads

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mulattabianca

Ever seen any movies from Marilyn Monroe? Or ANY OTHER famous blond (female)?

Oh, I acknowledge that the stereotype is out there and that the movies and other aspects of public and private culture play to it. I just wonder how it arose.

My theory is that i) somehow, 'blond' has become associated with 'more attractive' for women in our society ii) a sizeable number of women dye their hair blond to gain this attribute iii) women who are willing to dye their hair simply to fit in with society's prejudice regarding attractiveness are, by nature, less intelligent iv) this move toward blondness among less intelligent women leads to the further result that women who are blond - or appear to be blond - will be disproportionately less intelligent.

Anyway, that's my theory...and it's a good theory...and it's my theory.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Blonde goes back to the Roman era..Roman women greatly admired the Angles naturally blonde hair colour. So they used to soak their hair in horse piss to get that desirable lighter colour.

So maybe that's where the dumb blonde idea comes from..

I mean how many guys would soak their head in horse piss ?

Secondly, red hair was a tres-cool fashion statement in Ancient Egypt re 1000 BC. They took up the use of henna as a colorant to make their hair go red. So some of these things have really deep roots..( Sic )
  • Reply 63 of 80
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    yea, i use henné sometimes.

i just dont understand what is attractive with blond hair .. especially when combined to pale skin. i think e.g. brown hair looks more interesting if your face is about of the same shade than your hair. why do they call the people with light brown skin "black"? - oh that pale skin. i mean something as pale as michael jackson ... i think he'll be in the next 2 years a blond and with blue eyes. the stereotypical swedish colors before the 1960s...
  • Reply 64 of 80
    Quote:

i just dont understand what is attractive with blond hair .. especially when combined to pale skin. i think e.g. brown hair looks more interesting if your face is about of the same shade than your hair. why do they call the people with light brown skin "black"? - oh that pale skin. i mean something as pale as michael jackson ... i think he'll be in the next 2 years a blond and with blue eyes. the stereotypical swedish colors before the 1960s...

Dunno about Jackson..

Never understood predjudice either. I Love people ( especially women ) for who they are..& not what skin colour they have. Besides which, as an artist I just try to bring out the beauty I see in all my models.( Even if I do have particular weakness for redheads )

My last girlfriend was a Viking..seriously fun..but with jet black hair & slightly almondy asiatic eyes..stunning.....

May the world be filled with laughter in all its colours!

Ps your call sign seems to say something about your heritage...?
  • Reply 65 of 80
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

I mean how many guys would soak their head in horse piss ?

• Reply 66 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

Sorry Gar..page won't load even though I have Shockwave...

God I hate Shockwave....

If it's not too rude, just post pic
  • Reply 67 of 80
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Sorry Gar..page won't load even though I have Shockwave...

God I hate Shockwave....

If it's not too rude, just post pic

Rude?
  • Reply 68 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Rude?

Looks too good to soak your head in..

I'd rather get wet on the inside.....
  • Reply 69 of 80
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Uh-oh. I sense sCreed is coming
  • Reply 70 of 80
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Signaling Sex and Status: Our Fetish for Flaxen Hair a book review of On Blondes.

Quote:

The deeper theme in this book is the infinite mutability of human symbols. Blondness has stood for vice and for purity in different cultural contexts. This ought to alert us to the human tendency to manipulate symbols so that they become an outer expression of inner drives. How does this process occur? How do fashions change, and why? How is it possible that the same symbol that stands for vice and experience also may stand for purity and virginity? "Blondes are the best victims," said Alfred Hitchcock. "They?re like virgin snow which shows up the bloody footprints." And yet, as Yeats wrote, "some woman?s yellow hair has maddened every mother?s son." More interesting than the hair color itself is the human tendency to mythologize certain physical objects and ascribe magic to them. Considering how common blond hair has become in an age of single-process streaks, why does it still have power?and can that power last? I think not.

You know, I was wondering why I myself starting noticing fiercely, dark brunettes more in the past few years. I guess it might be because there are too many blondes.

Screed
  • Reply 71 of 80
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Uh-oh. I sense sCreed is coming

What the? Anders, don't start getting psychic on us...

How'd you know??

Screed
  • Reply 72 of 80
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by sCreeD

[B]What the? Anders, don't start getting psychic on us...

How'd you know??

Alter-ego, long lost twin or split personality pehaps !
  • Reply 73 of 80
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    I don't like blonds with blue eyes. I am blond and blue-eyed (abit male) and my entire family shares the same traits. I seem to go after (allright, seriously dig) brunettes (with dark eyes, ones with hazel eyes blow me away), then redheads (blue eyes), then brunettes (blue), and rounding out the group is everone else. Of couse this applys only to first impressions so...
  • Reply 74 of 80
    Opposites attract
  • Reply 75 of 80
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

First of all, go outside on a monotonous winter afternoon. Look around. What catches your eye. . . yellow-blonde hair does. It' s such a contrast. whether you go for it or not, it is more noticeable than other natural colors of hair save red.

And I like the pale skin thing. If you have yellowish hued skin, blonde looks best on you. I have olive skin, and look like an idiot with blonde hair. Fortunately it has gotten darker over the years, but it still looks bizzare since now it's grayish. (and I'm frickin 21). After a week at the beach I look like I came out of a reactor core.
  • Reply 76 of 80
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

First of all, go outside on a monotonous winter afternoon. Look around. What catches your eye. . . yellow-blonde hair does. It' s such a contrast. whether you go for it or not, it is more noticeable than other natural colors of hair save red.

And I like the pale skin thing. If you have yellowish hued skin, blonde looks best on you. I have olive skin, and look like an idiot with blonde hair. Fortunately it has gotten darker over the years, but it still looks bizzare since now it's grayish. (and I'm frickin 21). After a week at the beach I look like I came out of a reactor core.

if i go out in a winter afternoon, i won't look on blondes (males, i don't look for women). for the opposites, i'd look dark hair / white skin or just plain 'darker complex' (could mean mixed but not pure black).

i have pale skin .. but blueish, not yellowish. i'd look really bad with yellowish blonde hair. reddish, brownish and black do ... and i seem to be one of those unlucky grayish at 20-something.. so now brownish ... but i have no idea what i will be thursday or after. i hope they will not make me blond, or i'll shave. seriously. or maybe i'll shave to 1/4" and dye me jaguar.. \
  • Reply 77 of 80
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    I like the blonds. There's just something about them. But then again you can never go wrong witha brown-eyed girl with some of that nice brown hair.
  • Reply 78 of 80
    Still doesn't explain why so many women go blonde...is it the baby looks or the dumb / innocent angel look ?

besides which most "blondes" come from a bottle & not from their genes..so how to tell ?\
  • Reply 79 of 80
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Still doesn't explain why so many women go blonde...is it the baby looks or the dumb / innocent angel look ?

besides which most "blondes" come from a bottle & not from their genes..so how to tell ?\

Ummm. . .

1) Bright Blonde hair is eye catching, period. It's bright. Bright things are eye catching.

2) There are lots of women out there who like to be cought in one's eye. I think this is damn evident given the cosmetics industry.

Thus, so many women go blonde because they want to be noticed.

I thought this was painfully self evident even at the start of the thread.
  • Reply 80 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Ummm. . .

1) Bright Blonde hair is eye catching, period. It's bright. Bright things are eye catching.

2) There are lots of women out there who like to be cought in one's eye. I think this is damn evident given the cosmetics industry.

Thus, so many women go blonde because they want to be noticed.

I thought this was painfully self evident even at the start of the thread.

Meow Meow Meow Cat Fight .....Cat fight...

Splinemodel you wankeller you......

I started this thread as a straw poll of hair preference ..colour wise...Okee Dokee..& as still you haven't actually answered my question as to how to tell the difference between real blondes & bottled ones.

So, you leave me no choice, but to get myself a blindmans cane, dark sunglasses, & sit in a ladies sports gym locker.

And it will be all your fault if I get smothered with towels, gym shorts, cologne, & lip-stick..the thingsI have to do for science...