idea: rotating digital photos

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
When you're taking photos, you sometimes rotate your camera 90° left or right; usually when taking photos of people or tall objects; but when you transfer them to the computer, they are all horizontal and you have to manually rotate those with wrong orientation. Wouldn't it be much better, if the camera would detect when it is being rotated ~90° and store this data in a file, so software could automatically correct the orientation when transfering the photos from camera to the computer?

Disclaimer: This is not confirmed and it's not even a rumor - it is just an idea, which might already be a part of some digital camera i'm not aware of. I just think it would be a nice feature to have, if Apple decides to make the long rumored digicam.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    kantarellkantarell Posts: 13member
    Canon Ixus, version2 at least, already does this. I can't remember if iPhoto recognises the tilt, but Canon's own software certainly does.

It is quite handy.

Now i don't think this belongs in future hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    theflythefly Posts: 72member
    Some Kodak's already have orientation sensors as well.

theFly

www.flyonthemac.com

Rumors You Can Bet On
  • Reply 3 of 12
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    I haven't used iPhoto in a while but I think there's a button to simply rotate the file. One click 90¼ turn clockwise or counterclockwise.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    This is definitely not Future Hardware. More likely Digital Hub, which also covers peripherals like cameras. In any case...

All newer Canon PowerShot cameras do indeed have an orientation sensor. However, they only "tag" the image. So if your image manipulation software does not recognize the orientation tag, the feature is of no use.

What would be even better is in-camera rotation instead of just tagging. In other words, a panorama (horizontal) shot would be stored as a panorama image file and a portrait (vertical) shot would be stored as a portrait image file. That way, any image processor could take advantage of the orientation feature. More importantly, you could upload pictures directly to the Web, without having to worry about orientation.

I imagine Canon (and others) has not yet implemented in-camera rotation either because it is more processor-intesive than storing all shots in panorama (horizontal) format or because file formats (e.g. JPEG) do not easily support it.

On a related note: Does anybody who has used the Canon cameras with orientation sensor know whether the sensor can distinguish between left- and right- rotation, and whether it can detect a picture taken with the camera upside down?

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 12
    crayzcrayz Posts: 73member
    I don't know about upside down, but I would suspect so. It can definitely distinguish between pictures taken w/ left and right 90° rotations.

Anyway, the coolest thing about this is to just open all the images in GraphicConverter(like in a browser window), do select-all, and then do "Correct JPEG Orientation" option. GraphicConverter can read how the image is tagged and auto-rotate it so its the correct direction. Then you can post on the web or use some software that doesn't recognize that rotate tag or whatever.

I love GraphicConverter.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InsaneCreator

When you're taking photos, you sometimes rotate your camera 90° left or right; usually when taking photos of people or tall objects; but when you transfer them to the computer, they are all horizontal and you have to manually rotate those with wrong orientation. Wouldn't it be much better, if the camera would detect when it is being rotated ~90° and store this data in a file, so software could automatically correct the orientation when transfering the photos from camera to the computer?

Disclaimer: This is not confirmed and it's not even a rumor - it is just an idea, which might already be a part of some digital camera i'm not aware of. I just think it would be a nice feature to have, if Apple decides to make the long rumored digicam.

You gotta get my Canon S400 Elph, it rotates automatically right after taking the photo.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Going to DH....
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by crayz

I love GraphicConverter.

I love GC too. Glad to hear it supports the orientation tag. Do you know with which version GC started supporting it? I'm still running GC 4.4.4 because I didn't want to pay again for 4.5 and wonder whether I can take advantage of this feature when I replace my PowerShot A20.

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 12
    crayzcrayz Posts: 73member
    Not sure which version of GC started supporting it, but I think it may have been post-4.5. The new versions have definitely had some nice new stuff in them(for instance a better image browser that seems to be at least 2x faster).

BTW, I also have a Canon s400. KidRed is incorrect - it does not actually rotate the pic, just changes the tag - though when the image is viewed on-camera it is rotated for viewing purposes.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Not sure which version of GC started supporting it, but I think it may have been post-4.5. The new versions have definitely had some nice new stuff in them(for instance a better image browser that seems to be at least 2x faster).

BTW, I also have a Canon s400. KidRed is incorrect - it does not actually rotate the pic, just changes the tag - though when the image is viewed on-camera it is rotated for viewing purposes.

Well, I guess you didn't RTFM, because if you import the pics to your mac using Image Browser (the supplied image browser app for OS X) then wow, what do you know- the images are, well, you guessed it, rotated automatically. Take vertical pics and they will ALL be rotated on the camera and imported rotated automatically without ever lifting a finger.

Get your facts straight before correcting people next time.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Kidred, crayz both are right. The S400 just changes the tag info, but the pic file is recorded as an horizontal image on the camera. Canon's Image Browser uses that tag info to correctly rotate the image during the import stage, same goes for on-cam viewing.

Kidred: Take a vertical picture. Try reading / importing from the s400 card *without* using Canon's Image Browser. Open that file in say, Preview. You will get an horizontal pic.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    As Bill M points out, KidRed and crayz are in heated agreement without knowing it. No need to argue.

Quote:

Maybe I should shell out $35 for GC 4.5 after all. The faster browser certainly sounds great. OTOH, I don't have a camera with orientation sensor yet. And for $50, I could get the educational version of Photoshop Elements.

Quote:

BTW, I also have a Canon s400.

KidRed and crayz: My A20 has served me well for the last two years. But I'm looking to upgrade sometime this summer or fall. Having used 35mm manual SLRs throughout my youth, I'm terribly tempted to pick up a Canon EOS 10D. It's the first digital SLR that I think wouldn't disappoint me in terms of autofocus performance and price/value. OTOH, that would set me back ca. $2000 for the body plus a basic (i.e. slow) 3x zoom. That's probably more money than I should spend right now.

So I've started to look at more Canon P&S cameras. I've had a great experience with Canon cameras, and their included software is better than all others. So I'm likely to stick with Canon. I played with the S400 at the Apple Store this weekend and it's great. But I just hate the idea of upgrading to a lens that is just as slow as on my A20 (f2.8-4.9), especially with a tiny weak flash. (The tiny size and ceramic metal case are very nice, though.) The S45/S50 have slow lenses too, so I'm looking at the G3. It's huge compared to the other P&S cameras and you can't really use the optical viewfinder (unlike in a real 35mm rangefinder camera). But the fast lens (f2.0-3.0), remote control and swivel LCD would let me take pictures I couldn't otherwise take. This would be especially cool for autoportraits while flying my basket-less one man hot air balloon. I wish that Canon could come out with something like Sony's Cybershot DSC V-1. I love the size and night shot/laser focusing options on the Sony, but hate the slow lens and expensive Memory Stick. What is a man like me to do?

BTW: B&H Photo video has great prices on Canon digital P&S cameras. $470 for the S45, $600 for the G3, and $440 for the S400. They also have bundles with a 256MB CF card for about $20 more.

Sorry for the long and kinda off topic rant. I welcome any input to my conundrum.

Escher