Gates down playing Steve's influence

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
For anyone who has not read it, you should readApple's online music coup ignites a budding industry. While this article, and many other articles about iTunes Music Store are contributing its success being the influence of Steve Jobs negotiations with the record companies, towards the end of the article there is a quote from Gates that the record companies will come on board with anybody and that Microsoft can do better than Apple. I may have interpreted the article wrong. Read it and you decide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I think Microsoft is pointing to the fact that with this service the Music Industry is becoming more flexible on the Whole. They're right. Apple will have larger competitors coming so they will need to continue to revamp iTMS and make it better staying one step ahead of the competition.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Apple's track record of doing something innovative and then staying one step ahead has been less than exemplary.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    um-hmmm...

how long's it gonna take for M$ to roll a store into media player/windows? Not too long I'll wager. Or to make the back-end so someone else can do it?

Apple was a little premature, they should have had the windows versions ready to go now. If they can get it up within a couple of months, that's good too, but every day that 99% of worldwide users can get the idea without getting the product just makes the imitators job that much easier!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    True. Is there any other company in the world that can blatantly company another company and not get sued the way M$ does to Apple?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

um-hmmm...

how long's it gonna take for M$ to roll a store into media player/windows? Not too long I'll wager. Or to make the back-end so someone else can do it?

Apple was a little premature, they should have had the windows versions ready to go now. If they can get it up within a couple of months, that's good too, but every day that 99% of worldwide users can get the idea without getting the product just makes the imitators job that much easier!

Wrong it's not easy as it looks. Apple's had the Apple Store and has been blasting out Trailers and Software Downloads for years. Think about this now. Microsoft has the software downloads but they don't have the store. While they have the resources to do so...the question is "Will they?"

I doubt it. Microsoft has to rework Windows Media, create a store and market this thing in 6 months before iTMS hits PC's. Ain't gonna happen. Apple will continue to gain momentum as they go Global and then to PCs. Once iTunes is available on PC...bye bye Music Match. I bet you will see iTunes for the PC as #2 and possibly #1 within a couple of years if Apple takes the port seriously.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Also, MS has a knack for making things like what Apple offers but manages to munge the thing in just the right ways. Will Microsoft's foray be as elegant, the (proverbial) ease-of-use leader? Doubtful. Will they think of offering more options but instead manage to complicate the thing? Probable. Will they offer similar features and perks but without the fit and finish of Apple's stuff? Likely.

It's hard to make quantitative comparisons between their software any more. It's more of a qualitative difference. Problem is, most people are fine with what Miscrosoft pulls together in that respect, or else they simply aren't aware of any alternatives, Mac or otherwise.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Perhaps not. Apparently, Apple only has 2/5 of the record companies signed up for iTMS for Windows. They are watching iTMS for Mac to see what happens. In other words, it is doubtful that iTMS for Windows could (realistically) be launched by Apple (or anyone else for that matter) right now. This is a business, political, marketing, licensing issue. Almost all of it has to do with with the "Big 5" want to do.

I expect Apple to convince them, and to have some exclusivity for a short period of time.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    There is the possibility that M$ doesn't even want that business. But if they do, they'll have an answer fast. It is possible also, that the record companies may not want M$'s answer. They're the only people more control hungry than M$, and it's likely they're suspicious of M$'s rep. The last thing record companies want is to answer to M$ licensing/distro, etc etc, having had a couple of years worth of very public witness to how M$ treats the competition/partners.

Apple may be the only company positioned to protect the music industries properties, present a competent plan, and assuage their "control" fears. Mebbe nobody else can have the right combination of good plans and good blood?

But, if they aren't ready, that leaves competitors a window. M$ may need 2 or 3 tries to get something right, but they can support an initial failure, get people to live with the shortcomings of V.2 and really start to bear down by the time they get to v3 of whatever product. If, OTOH, Apple is ready, and they're just waiting for the other 3/5ths to give the Windows store a green light, then that's a different story. The project seems to be going very well, if mac is a test case for the broader market, windows iTunesmusicstore should be here sooner than 6 months.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Just a thought. Not that I have any inside info at all. But don't you think if Apple had the opportunity to release a version for a global market and for windows that they would have done so?! I ask because for all we know, the only reason Apple didn't do this was because of requests from the big 5. They may have wanted a controlled environment first to see how much would be leaked to the p2p services, gauge sells, etc. Before licensing to the mass market where the potential for possible hacks expands exponentially.

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors, and while we love to assume the worst, most often, the reasons behind a company's actions are kept secret, but are validated at the time of the decision, for better or worse. To think that the people at Apple do not feel the way we do would be dumb. I think they really want a windows version. They are doing what they have to to be able to do so. That to me makes more sense, and is probably closer in line with reality.

Just some food for thought for those of us not in the know, but know what to do.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    The article, which I started this thread with, does state, "Microsoft Corp., too, is entering the online music fray next week with MSN Radio Plus. Though it will initially charge $4.99 a month for streaming listening to music while connected online MSN may one day match Apple's per-song downloading onto computers, said Hadi Partovi, general manager of MSN Entertainment." Although "listening to radio" is quite different than "purchasing music", who knows where, MSN, and therefore Microsoft, may be going with this????
  • Reply 11 of 20
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

[B]um-hmmm...

how long's it gonna take for M$ to roll a store into media player/windows? Not too long I'll wager.

Just look at the buggy M$ software that isn't pressured from a competitor. Anyone want to place bets on when the "Media player store" will release it's first security patch? I guess 2 1/2 weeks.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    I would bet the next day
  • Reply 13 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Nevermind security patches. Just finding a way to edit your credit card info is sure to be a brain-teaser.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Some people in this thread make it sound like setting up a Music Store is easy.

"All you need is 4 simple ingredients:

The servers

The bandwidth

The software

And the music."

Yes...this sounds very simple. Everyone can whip that up in a few months.

The software can take a few months to develop. The servers can be set up pretty fast also.

The cataloguing of the music...the encoding...making the deals with the record companies...and serving this music 24/7 to a waaaaay bigger group of people than Mac users is a whole different ballpark.

Sorry but setting up this kind of stuff doesn't take a few months. It'll take a year or more to do properly. MS can try to speed up the process but they'll flop if they don't do it right the first time.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by M3D Jack

Apple's track record of doing something innovative and then staying one step ahead has been less than exemplary.

I beg to differ but I digress...arguing with a Mod is bad voodoo.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    Why doesn't everybody remember that probably, THE MAJOR RECORD LABELS DON'T WANT TO DO BUSINESS WITH MICROSOFT???
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Nevermind security patches. Just finding a way to edit your credit card info is sure to be a brain-teaser.

Na I`m sure they will have the ever handy Edit your credit info wizzard
  • Reply 18 of 20
    The hard part was the labels, there's nothing about the technicalities that we haven't seen before. And besides, M$ doesn't have to do it right, they just have to do it, then fix it up later.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I just read this on MacIntouch:

Cnet covers Microsoft's $29.99/year MSN Radio Plus service, which offers musical content without the "interstitial advertisements" of other MSN Internet radio streams.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    by nx7oe

Quote:

Why doesn't everybody remember that probably, THE MAJOR RECORD LABELS DON'T WANT TO DO BUSINESS WITH MICROSOFT

Finally.