Quartz Extreme: what does this mean for iBooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
They need a 32 MB card to take advantage..... when where which card?

discuss

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    Looks like you'll be buying a new machine in the not to distant future.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    I hope it will work with the Radeon 8500 (64 MB)

Then I would have an upgrade path for my AGP 2x Sawtooth G4.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    This is probably not the only optimization that Jaguar will sport, so I'd hold off worrying about performance until it actually appears.

Actually, we just learned that the C++ compiler got significantly better. That alone will help considerably.
  • Reply 4 of 81
    stepsonstepson Posts: 95member
    Check out the footnote at the bottom of this page:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/</a>;

Looks like every nvidia card thats been available for the mac, and radeon ad up. Just like Jobs said, AGP 2x, 32MB ram.
  • Reply 5 of 81
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    What it means for iBooks is that you will not be using Quartz Extreme on one. That doesn't mean the iBooks are obselete or useless. They'll still run OS X, just not as fast as other computers, but iBooks are the slowest machines in Apple's line anyway, so they've always been slower than other computers.

I'm sure 10.2 will still be faster than 10.1, even if you can't take advantage of Quartz Extreme.

Of course, it may also mean that updated iBooks with better video cards may be on the way.
  • Reply 6 of 81
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    It's all falling into place. MWNY: updated iBooks and Power Macs (still G4s, I'm afraid, unless G5 rumors of late have been misinformation)
  • Reply 7 of 81
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    It means nothing for i book : Quartz extreme works only on the geforce card from 2 mx to titanium and all the radeon cards.

This lead me to one conclusion , the next revision of i book will include a radeon mobility chipset ...
  • Reply 8 of 81
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    [quote]Originally posted by rogue27:

<strong>

Of course, it may also mean that updated iBooks with better video cards may be on the way. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I absolutly believe updated iBooks are coming. And I'm sure they have been upgraded to take advantage of Quartz Extreme in 10.2.

Yesterday, at a local CompuUSA, the CompUSA employee was ready to sell me an iBook + 3Yrs warranty. I asked if they were end of life and he started to say they were but then changed his answer in mid-sentance to deflect my attention back to the iBook.
  • Reply 9 of 81
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by sc_markt:

<strong>

I absolutly believe updated iBooks are coming. And I'm sure they have been upgraded to take advantage of Quartz Extreme in 10.2.

Yesterday, at a local CompuUSA, the CompUSA employee was ready to sell me an iBook + 3Yrs warranty. I asked if they were end of life and he started to say they were but then changed his answer in mid-sentance to deflect my attention back to the iBook.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am ready to bet 100 bucks on this. The update will coming soon, Apple will be absolutely ridiculous if he did not make this update. And this update has to come soon, because do you know many people who will buy an i book that is not able to have the Quartz extreme acceleration ?
  • Reply 10 of 81
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I am sure an iBook update is coming as well but that doesn't mean it will have the same amountof vram as the Powerbook.
  • Reply 11 of 81
    [quote]Originally posted by powerdoc:

<strong>

I am ready to bet 100 bucks on this. The update will coming soon, Apple will be absolutely ridiculous if he did not make this update. And this update has to come soon, because do you know many people who will buy an i book that is not able to have the Quartz extreme acceleration ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Your right. And I suspect there will be very attractive pricing on the current iBook models that are left over.
  • Reply 12 of 81
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Who in their right mind would buy an iBook now?

I say new iBooks soon, before MWNY for sure. And we know they will get a new video chipset, probably 32 MB vRAM, but Quartz Extreme doesn't NEED 32 MB vRAM to function, it only needs the 32 MB vRAM to function optimally.

Damn this Quartz Extreme is good news. I knew about it but I was a bit concerned as to what video cards it would support. I knew it work on all Nvidias, but ATI cards were another story, and since I've got a Radeon, well...
  • Reply 13 of 81
    naepstnnaepstn Posts: 78member
    From Apple's Jaguar page...

[quote] nVidia: GeForce2MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 Ti, GeForce4 or GeForce4MX <hr></blockquote>

If I'm not mistaken, there is no shipping Mac product with a GeForce 4 (as opposed to GeForce4 Ti or MX). I suspect that it's just a typo, but it could be an indication of something to come.

Also, iBooks with the Radeon Mobility 7500? HAHAHAHAHA!!! That's basically the best mobile video card you can buy right now! There's no way the the iBook will soon get the same card that was JUST included in the TiPB. I'd say original (16MB) Radeon Mobility or maybe GeForce Go product.

Does PCI really not have the throughput to support this feature in any way? It would sure be nice if my Radeon 7000 was going to help even just a bit with OS X on my B&W. Oh well, those new TiBooks sure are appealing now! Maybe time for Bluey to retire to the (server-) farm...
  • Reply 14 of 81
    bobthetomatobobthetomato Posts: 665member
    [quote]Originally posted by powerdoc:

<strong>

I am ready to bet 100 bucks on this. The update will coming soon, Apple will be absolutely ridiculous if he did not make this update. And this update has to come soon, because do you know many people who will buy an i book that is not able to have the Quartz extreme acceleration ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

OS X Jaguar isn't out till late summer, so I would say that a MWNY refresh would be timely enough.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    [quote]Originally posted by BobtheTomato:

<strong>

OS X Jaguar isn't out till late summer, so I would say that a MWNY refresh would be timely enough.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe but my local CompUSA has current model iBooks on special sale. And the CompUSA employee started to say to me that they were EOL but changed his story in mid sentence. He also told me no reasonable offers would be refused.
  • Reply 16 of 81
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    doesn't the iBook (dual USB) have AGP?

Are you all sure iceBooks can't do Quartz extreme, even a little bit, with their paltry memory?
  • Reply 17 of 81
    nostradamusnostradamus Posts: 397member
    Quartz Extreme requires a GPU that is powerful enough to offload operations from the CPU and actually be faster.

Sure, if the iBooks had enough video memory, the RAGE 128 could utilize Quartz Extreme. However, utilizing Quartz Extreme on a RAGE 128 would yield slower performance than with Quartz Extreme off.

The Radeon was the first ATI chipset to have a decent GPU.
  • Reply 18 of 81
    macxusrmacxusr Posts: 31member
    does iBook support AGP?

.....from apple's own iBook pages:

Graphics support

ATI RAGE Mobility 128 graphics accelerator with 8MB of SDRAM graphics memory and AGP 2X suppor

The iBook features robust support for OpenGL, the industry standard architecture for professional-quality rendering, texture-mapping and photorealistic special effects.

so we should get minimal support from Quartz Extreme, but not like the Radeon 7500 in the powerbooks...

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: macXusr ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 81
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>Quartz Extreme requires a GPU that is powerful enough to offload operations from the CPU and actually be faster.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does the current version of OS X use Altivec to help with the graphics display. If so, then will it still be used along with Quartz Extreme?
  • Reply 20 of 81
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by naepstn:

From Apple's Jaguar page...

If I'm not mistaken, there is no shipping Mac product with a GeForce 4 (as opposed to GeForce4 Ti or MX). I suspect that it's just a typo, but it could be an indication of something to come.

<hr></blockquote>

No typo. GeForce4 has been announced for the Mac since January, was supposed to be shipping now but has been moved back to the summer just in time for the NEXT nVidia card to be shipping. Only on Apple, go figure!