Wartime computer games...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been seeing a commercial for a D-Day-themed vide game. Can't remember the name. Then it started me thinking: I can't recall any other video games based on real-life scenarios or history. Most are all that swords and dragon silliness, OR so far out and sci-fi-based that no one would EVER asscociate it with something real.

Something about basing a video game - complete with, I'm sure, loads of blood and guts - based on the Normandy invasion and that whole thing just left a weird taste in my mouth.

It's as though some company watched the first 20 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" and said "cool...this will make an AWESOME game!"

Just seems disrespectful, at best.

What are your feelings on this? It hits a little too close to home for me to think it's just a "cool video game". Just seems like some things are...I'm looking for a good word here, but you know what I mean.

I mean, in 20 years or so, are we going to have a September 11 Aerial Assault Brigade game?

I really, really hope not. But then, nothing ever surprises me anymore either...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    This the game you mean?

Another War

It's set in WWII, but not based on any particular event. Why's this different (or the one you saw, if this isn't it) from Medal of Honor, or any other WWII game that's come out?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Doesn't Ghost Recon have sections that are set in war-ridden former Yugoslavia?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I don't know, guys. I'm not a gamer. I don't know...to me there just seems a difference between those cartoonish, fictionalized "bad-ass commando" games (which I've got no problem with) and the one I was referring to.

It's not an "either/or" thing, I guess. To me, it just seems weird. Not against a WWII-themed game at all. That's not what I'm saying, and I'm not comparing it to other wars or games or whatever.

I'm just saying that taking and making a game out of what was such a monumental and pivotal moment in that war kinda seems to trivialize it a bit. Not trying to sound like a sap, but it seems like a dishonor to the men (and boys) who died there.

I can't put it into words exactly, I guess. All I know is that it leaves an odd feeling with me when I see it. I'm thinking "my grandmother's brother [who died on the beach] probably wouldn't think there was anything 'cool' about it...".

\

I don't know. Maybe I just see this differently. Wouldn't be the first time.

Lots of planets to attack, dragons to slay, robots to decapitate, zombies to machine gun, etc. Storming Omaha Beach just doesn't seem like proper "game" material to me.

But that's just me. I might be way off on this. Who knows.

• Reply 5 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Cool article. I guess I'm NOT the only one, then...

• Reply 6 of 11
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    I'm a flight sim freak, WWII, Vietnam, Korea, Gulf, and hopefully soon thew new Hornet Iraq title. These 'simulations' aim to be as realistic as possible; well, as far as the air aspect goes. I really don't feel that it trivializes the event, or that 'games' shouldn't touch on certain issues. I see games more and more as interactive movies, closer to the level of 'art'.

The D-day level on Medal of Honor - which made famous the D-day simulation - was well near impossible, people were dying all around and i believe made more evident the total chaos, and the ease in which life was lost... more so than a history book, i haven't read personal accounts...

i'm not sure what you're saying, these are just some of my impressions on war themed games...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    bluerabbitbluerabbit Posts: 105member
    My favorite war game is Minesweeper.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    if any one you are familiar with graphsim's f/a-18 hornet series then you will be pleasewd to know that their next version is due out in a few months. for those who don't know, it was set in iraq and pretty much has been except for the korean krisis expansion set and then f/a-18 korea. but now with version 4 they are taking it to a new level.

not only are they basing the game in iraq again, they are setting to the recent war. Don't think that they would, the future names are to be either, "Shock and Awe", "Target Iraq", or "Operation Iraqi Freedom". the game is using a stalite databse for reall buildings and terrain. The guy said it is so good that he looked up a building that he was unfamiliar with in the game after it was hit in real life. check the link here .
  • Reply 9 of 11
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Time heals all, eventually. You don't see Frenchies openly attacking Germans for invading their country 50 years ago, and you wouldn't see people complaining about a Battle of Hastings: 1066 video game.

We must be approaching a point in history where today's youth have no attachment, emotional or otherwise, to WW2.

On a semi-related note, it cracks me up to hear Sept 11 talked about as 'we will never forget..' etc. Give it two generations, tops. We will forget, we always do.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Then it started me thinking: I can't recall any other video games based on real-life scenarios or history. Most are all that swords and dragon silliness, OR so far out and sci-fi-based that no one would EVER asscociate it with something real.

You can't recall any other game? You're not a gamer of any kind... could you explain why anything 'so far out and sci-fi-based' could never be associated with something real? There exist themes which all people can relate to regardless of their context.

You're reminding me of the RIAA's reaction to the Rip. Mix. Burn. Apple ads, so disconnected you seem to be missing the point.

\
  • Reply 11 of 11
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Whoa, easy, tiger. pscates is merely being sentimental. I tend to agree with his post, as I do see how it could be construed as blasphemous or insensitive.

All I'm saying is as the event (pick any) grows more distant into the past, the less value or meaning it holds for us. Kinda like your second birthday. Remember that? Exactly.