Macbidouille: 970's on sale at the end of May

191011121315»

Comments

• Reply 281 of 300
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacJedai

Now the "multiple clients of the memory system", I buy. I wish I knew if that was part of "Apple PI" or not. Unfortunately, my sources don't give details, but instead refer to secondary sources that talk about "PI". Sure wish that they would talk to me.

Thanks for making me think about it more!

Most of the systems I work with suffer from issues that arise from multiple processors, DMA engines, or GPUs. The differences in speed between all of the various buses means that some amount of buffering is going to have to happen anyhow, so an L3 becomes a natural extension of that. Whether it is cost-effective or not is a job for the engineers building the chipset.
  • Reply 282 of 300
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kurt

I may have just missed his posts but I haven't seen Moki on these boards for a while. No comments on the MB rumors for dates and benchmarks. You don't suppose he has a test machine and is under a NDA do you?

No, he doesn't (but he wishes he did)

As for the benchmarks, they are fabricated. As for the release at the end of May... don't hold your breath.

WWDC, on the other hand, will no doubt be interesting.
  • Reply 283 of 300
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by barbarella

So true! But look at the picture for the ImpactRT 3100 http://www.mc.com/press_room/image_l...tegory=Systems and you'll see a motherboard of sorts leaning against the machine. That MB looks mighty familiar: wasn't something like that shopped around as a futute Apple PM MB or the IBM 970 blade MB a few month back? Anybody who has these old spy pictures might want to take a look?

Not even close:

Mercury blade:

IBM Blade:

• Reply 284 of 300
    Wait....

I'm sure this has been covered before, but if Apple sticks to 32-bit processors in their laptops/low end Macs, would a 64-bit OS work on them? If not, what is the likelihood of Apple sustaining two OS's like that? I was under the impression that Jobs didn't like that (e.g. Newton OS, Rhapsody/OS X Server).
  • Reply 285 of 300
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MozillaMan

Wait....

I'm sure this has been covered before, but if Apple sticks to 32-bit processors in their laptops/low end Macs, would a 64-bit OS work on them? If not, what is the likelihood of Apple sustaining two OS's like that? I was under the impression that Jobs didn't like that (e.g. Newton OS, Rhapsody/OS X Server).

Since there is a great deal of common code, I would suspect a scenario similar to the "fat binaries" that allowed previous migrations. The installer will examine the hardware and install the processor specific code that is appropriate to the 32 or 64 bit machines. Not all of the code will be different. I am sure programmer or one of the other real experts can provide a better explanation of how it might be done.
  • Reply 286 of 300
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

Since there is a great deal of common code, I would suspect a scenario similar to the "fat binaries" that allowed previous migrations. The installer will examine the hardware and install the processor specific code that is appropriate to the 32 or 64 bit machines. Not all of the code will be different. I am sure programmer or one of the other real experts can provide a better explanation of how it might be done.

The 32-bit APIs in the OS have to be maintained for all the existing software anyhow, and the other differences are quite minor in terms of how much code is involved. Maintaining both should not be an issue.
  • Reply 287 of 300
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

As for the benchmarks, they are fabricated. As for the release at the end of May... don't hold your breath.

WWDC, on the other hand, will no doubt be interesting.

Hey, its Moki! Been busy?

I still say August-September for the hardware and the OS.
  • Reply 288 of 300
    yomofoyomofo Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

I think different software installs could cause a lot of complaints if people ever try to upgrade from the 32-bit version to a 64-bit mac or downgrade vice-versa. I forsee a much simpler "fat binaries" scenario. If the hardware is there, the 64-bit extensions would activate. If not, they will remain dormant. It's the same with the Bluetooth System Preferences.pane, and a host of other OS X thingies.

I'm guessing it could be something like a kernel extension (I'm not an expert) that dynamically loads on boot up depending on the hardware attached. Think of how plugging a virgin 20" Apple Cinema Display into the ADC connector on your Mac automatically boots at 1680 x 1050 resolution. Also, think of Altivec enhanced code. It doesn't run at Altivec speeds on a G3, but it still runs, don't it?

Apple will no doubt come up with an elegant solution, not just because they can, but because it saves them loads of cash that would otherwise be wasted on tech support calls.
  • Reply 289 of 300
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

Oh, well. I thought it might be true. You were quiet on these forums for a while.

If you think the benchmarks are bogus, do you think they are close to real life or are they too high?

Thanks, glad to see you back.
  • Reply 290 of 300
    nizonizo Posts: 5member
    Take a look at this =)

posted today over at looprumors:

Quote:

We received word that two large shipments of Power PC 970 processors went to Foxconn in Taiwan, under a purchase order from Apple computer. Twenty thousand 1.4Ghz PPC 970's and forty thousand 1.6Ghz PPC 970's have already arrived in their hands. IBM's inventory contains fifty thousand 1.8 Ghz PPC 970's, of which forty thousand are destined for Foxconn tomorrow (Wednesday).

IBM has listed as pending 2Ghz parts as well, which means that it will be in inventory within a month if their fab in East Fishkill produces sufficient volumes of them, and from what we hear they should be in stock by mid-June. Apple has stated that they need a minimum of 40 thousand in order to make a production run, and from what we understand this is for dual processors because normally their production runs are twenty thousand units. It is not IBM's policy to comment on other vendor's unreleased products. We have also been briefed that the PPC 970 will come in 2.3 and 2.5Ghz configurations by the end of the year, and as well some preliminary specs on the upcoming 980 processor, which is a Power 5 derivative

• Reply 291 of 300
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    gulp, drool...

• Reply 292 of 300
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Sweet, they could have a model ready by WWDC
  • Reply 293 of 300
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Won't we all cheer and laugh when Steve and Phil do a "reunion Photoshop bake-off"? You KNOW they will do it. I promise you it will happen.

Can you imagine the smirk on Steve's face when he starts walking over to the Dell setting next to the Mac?

It will be a great day! His keynote will be like a Churchill WW2 speech!

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it. "
  • Reply 294 of 300
    Yeah, I have a feeling these things are coming alot faster than many expect. IBM will produce any volume that Apple wants, and do it promptly. They have the experience and the resources to back it up.
  • Reply 295 of 300
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by elizaeffect

Yeah, I have a feeling these things are coming alot faster than many expect. IBM will produce any volume that Apple wants, and do it promptly. They have the experience and the resources to back it up.

If you believe this story is true then it says that IBM cannot produce sufficient quantities currently to meet Apple's needs.

Anyone got any ideas how one can find out IBM's inventory levels?
  • Reply 296 of 300
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

<nitpick>

You are IN a state - not at one. So that would be:

'Unfortunately, that is the state our society is in.'

</nitpick>

Kroehl

<nonsense alert>

You seem to be trying to fit some word count into a sentence to make some sense grammatically. Unfortunately what you really need to do is rewrite the sentence to make some sense to start with:

"Unfortunately, that is the state of our society."

</nonsense alert>
  • Reply 297 of 300
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

<nonsense alert>

You seem to be trying to fit some word count into a sentence to make some sense grammatically. Unfortunately what you really need to do is rewrite the sentence to make some sense to start with:

"Unfortunately, that is the state of our society."

</nonsense alert>

Whose society, sorry don't live in that world...
  • Reply 298 of 300
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

Whose society, sorry don't live in that world...

Clearly not the one where the lifeforms have green heads and smoking things dangling from their monoline mouths.
  • Reply 299 of 300
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Clearly not the one where the lifeforms have green heads and smoking things dangling from their monoline mouths.

Au contraire, that is the world I live in.
  • Reply 300 of 300
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    More on that Mercury Blade...

I poked around on their site downloading & reading things...

Although it says that their 'blade' has RapidIO and a G4 on it, it doesn't ever say that the _G4_ has RapidIO. RapidIO is a scaleable bus that can be used for chip-other-than-CPU to talk to some-other-chip if that's the way it is set up. (<-Look, a preposition at the end of a run-on sentence! Saved someone a post or two.)

So I'm not convinced that the PPC chips on there necessarily have RapidIO. Particularly in a blade situation, where you might like a bus/backplane for the separate blades to talk to/amongst themselves.