imac or emac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am kicking myself for not getting the flat screen. Right now I have the honkin' emac. Design-wise, it seems the flat screen prevails. I came from the old imacs, so having the giant flatter screen on the emac was awesome. Although I love it, I wonder if it's functionality is as great as the flat screen. I am assuming you can just pick up the flat screen and move it easily. I know laptops are more functional than both, but I didn't need one.

Have any of you had both or used both (imac and emac). I am debating selling my emac and getting the flat screen.What were your findings (readings and opinions). The only thing that stopped me from getting the flat originally was the few hundred dollar price when buying on ebay. emacs were selling for about 1,000-1,200 and the flats were about 1,400. Now, of course they are cheaper.

Should I just hold out for apple's latest surprise? I don't really need more power or memory. I am barely tapping into the capabilities this emac has.

take my dumb poll. and let me know why you picked what you did.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Well, I have only been a Mac user since around 99. I got the iMac DV at that time. It was great and did everything I needed it to at the time, of course now it has been delegated to my son. I bought an ibook in 2001, and absolutely loved it. I was not a power user by any means, so I didn't need much. However, as I started using my ibook more and more, I wanted to do more. As it turns out I needed back surgery, and with recovery I had a lot of free time on my hands. I got into all sorts of areas that my ibook could no longer handle.

I needed a G4. I fell in love with the flat panel on release. I had to go to the store and see one for myself. That didn't help my drool factor any. But, I waited. Then they announce the 17". I was sold. The emac was a little enticing, but did not have all the functionality that the imac had as far as ergonomics are concerned, and at the time there was no superdrive. It was obvious that I would get the superdrive...I didn't want a powermac, because the price to features ratio was not in the area I wanted. And with the 17" screen real estate on the iMac, it would hold me over.

A good friend of mine has an emac, and loves it. I don't really care for it aesthetically, but it gets the job done. If you are not as shallow as I am, then the emac will be fine for you. I would not go and lose money on a trade out on a computer. that is me. be happy with your emac and G4. Save your money for the next big thing from Apple whatever it may be. Then you will have something even better than the iMac, and you won't be stuck again.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    chic4macchic4mac Posts: 99member
    Thanks for sharing your confessions and story did you vote?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    if you need a computer now, i might (maybe) lean toward the eMac at this time as it is a great deal in terms of value...good specs, good value...

but i love my iMac FP...it if beautiful and graceful and elegant...the flat screen is a wonder and the footprint is tiny...if i were you and already had an eMac, i would wait for the next release of the iMac...it should have a faster chip and an improved graphics card, a faster bus etc....(1.2 to 1.4 G4---we can dream of a 970 but that is a year away i would guess, prove me wrong apple --133 or 167 bus---ati 9000 chip or better)...i keep wanting to get a tower, but the iMacs keep calling me back...

and it is much lighter and easier to move than the eMac...still if you are thinking of it as portable....i would disagree...if that is truely a selling point for you, i would go the iBook/PB route...

keep the eMac and get a iBook to take mobile

g
  • Reply 4 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The iMac is what I wanted when I bought my Cube: Small, quiet, elegant, gorgeous, and sporting an LCD. The 17" LCD and the adjustable arm just make it that much more desirable.

The eMac, while a perfectly suitable machine and great for the price, does not have the beauty or the quiet operation of the Ruby/Sage/Indigo iMacs, and it weighs a ton. It's durable, functional, affordable and not bad looking.

Since I have my Cube, and I'm still very happy with it, I'm not looking to buy either one. I'm currently looking at notebooks. I really, really, really shouldn't splurge on a PowerBook, but...
  • Reply 5 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Get a flat panel iMac once there's a major revision. Your eMac should be sufficient for now, and powerful, but the flat panel iMacs are really works of art. But don't go for it just yet. The eMac should still has plenty of useful life in it.

BTW, what are the stats on the eMac? My brother is tentatively considering getting one but he's not sure and money is a limiting factor for him. If you do decide to sell it sooner rather than later, he might be interested.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I'd go for an iMac. LCD screens IMO are so much better. The small footprint of the iMac is great too. I got one two weeks ago and it's great.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The eMac is like 60 pounds! As heavy as a 21" monitor!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    It's 50 pounds. That's not like 60 pounds.

That's like 50 pounds.

• Reply 9 of 16
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Wassamatta Leonis? You gonna put that eMac in your back pack?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Wassamatta Leonis? You gonna put that eMac in your back pack?

Don't laugh. I routinely carry somewhere between 250 and 300 pounds of drumset hardware around. Sometimes up stairs.

Granted, I don't usually do this for more than a couple hundred feet...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chic4mac

Thanks for sharing your confessions and story did you vote?

I voted. iMac....That probably doesn't help your cause any though huh?!

So, what are you thinking on doing now?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    chic4macchic4mac Posts: 99member
    The stats on the emac you ask? I love it. NO complaints at all. Its on all the time...and I have not a bad thing about it. I love the foot print - have the cool stand
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I voted for the iMac - since I own one.

My FP iMac is great, I love the design of it. That's what made me buy it in the first place. To be honest I really didn't like the design of the eMac, seeing that it really was just a modified version of the original iMac that I didn't like anyways. The FP iMac is great, I like the screen so much more than my Sony Trinitron on my PC, not to mention how quiet it is. (I don't know how loud or soft the eMac is, though) Defiantly, money well spent on the FP iMac!!! But, hey, the eMac is still a great machine so I wouldn't worry about it now anyways!
  • Reply 14 of 16
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    With the latest release of the eMac, this question of which is "better" has gotten harder to qualify. For purpose of comparison, here are the two top of the line models:

eMac - 1 GHz - 256 MB - 80 GB - SuperDrive - Radeon 7500: $1300

iMac - 1 GHz - 256 MB - 80 GB - SuperDrive - GeForce4 MX: $1800

The difference in price is $500. The specific differences are:

eMac has 17" CRT (16" viewable) with 32 MB of VRAM.

iMac has 17" LCD (Wide-Screen) with 64 MB of VRAM.

$500 more than the eMac, for an LCD and 32 extra MB of VRAM.

From a purely technical standpoint, unless you are an avid gamer or a digital artist that would legitimately notice a benefit from the extra VRAM, for most people the VRAM is a non-issue. And some have even argued that the Radeon 7500 may actually be a better graphics processor than the GeForce4 MX.

Also from a purely technical standpoint, the eMac's highest resolution is 1280x960, or a total of 1,228,800 pixels. The iMac's highest resolution is 1440x900, or a total of 1,296,000. This gives the iMac only 67,200 more pixels, or roughly 5.5% more screen real estate. Statistically speaking, it's negligible.

From a purely astheticly based standpoint, I think we all agree that the LCD Wide-Screen is far more appealing than the 17" CRT ... and the style of the iMac is fresh and new while the eMac is essentially just a re-packaged gumdrop-shaped iMac G3. So on that front, the iMac is the clear winner.

If I had to choose right now, today, I'd rather save the $500 and get an eMac that is almost identically equivalent in technical specs to the iMac. It is not as pretty, but that $500 could buy me a new iPod instead. The eMac is also a safe bet to remain G4 for a few months, since it was only updated last week. I'd not buy a new Flat-Panel iMac until it goes to the PPC 970.

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 15 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Winner.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

It's 50 pounds. That's not like 60 pounds.

That's like 50 pounds.

I really did put the eMac on the scale and it's 59.6 pounds