Finally an 8" screen PDA/Tablet!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1077859,00.asp

Fortunately, it's made by NEC. Fortunately, it runs Windows CE 3.0 OS.

Perversely flattering that someone's been reading the rantings here in AI Future Hardare. 'Shame that it's not APPL (yet).

Yours in Positive Attitude...

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    No thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Still waiting for the Target market for Tablets. Normally I'm not too dense about products but for the life of me I can't see where a Tablet is groundbreaking in ANY way.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    I wouldnt get all that excited about it. I went to the NEC site and the thing looks like a tiny comuter. Kind of like those teeny Sony jobbers. Does not look like a tablet. Dont know why they are caling it a tablet. As for the tablet idea, I still cant see why its better than a laptop??? If they were the size of a PDA, then yes. but otherwise, why bother?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TAZ

I wouldnt get all that excited about it. I went to the NEC site and the thing looks like a tiny comuter. Kind of like those teeny Sony jobbers. Does not look like a tablet. Dont know why they are caling it a tablet. As for the tablet idea, I still cant see why its better than a laptop??? If they were the size of a PDA, then yes. but otherwise, why bother?

Curl up in an easy chair some evening with a glass of wine right there at your elbow, the dog and kids nestled around you. Then balance an iBook on your hip, or on the arm of your chair.... Whoops! There goes the wine! The dog starts to bark and the kids scream in terror! Ack! Cramp! Shift out of the chair -crash goes the ibook! Or maybe the screen is damaged during your gyrations - and your odyssey with Apple's friendly customer service begins.

Better yet, take a walk with your iBook. Suddenly, the Muses zap you with the innovation of a life time! Out comes the iBook - no surfaces for yards and yards and you don't really want to sit on the sidewalk. You balance your iBook with one hand and grimly type with the other, good thing you've got a User Friendly Computing device, eh? You triumphantly hit return, the iBook pivots out of your hand to the concrete below - BANG! Maybe they can salvage the hard drive....

I walk around all day long and I am -disconnected- between desks. I converse with fellow engineers in the halls... it would be great to have a computer with a form factor like the clipboard that I currently use to record, to show and to communicate with me at all times that I could use standing up.

Doctors, lawyers, engineers, salesmen, writers, web surfers, AI Regulars would all benefit from an Apple tablet device.

I've been beating this fossilized, skinless skeleton of a horse since the death of the Newton (not as hard as Fran441 has , of course; he killed the damned horse in the first place).

The market is there and Apple knows it, indeed, is working on it. The question is not if, but when. When.....

Aries 1B

Waiting
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

No thanks.

I'll take two portions of that no thanks. NEC? Aren't they one of those 'washed up' PC makers?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    Aries 1B,

I do everything you mention with my Powerbook, except the spill the wine and break glass to wake the family routine. The problems I see with technology of today running a table is size. The unit would have to be like a powerbook without the screen. I can imagine a Tablet computer that has no keyboard and in its stead the screen. It would still be too big to simply walk about with all the time. This is why with the current lay outs a PDA sized jobber would be great. However, I can see a good deal of uses for a device that is say the thickness of a screen and weight about the same. No hard drive, no CPU, no fans; just some memory, an AirportEX card. battery, and maybe a video card. Hooking said device to central server through Airport and having the server do the work and the tablet merely as a display/terminal. Now that could be cool, but then again size would mean the same portability as a current notebook, but expansion for families/small businesses would be great. Just buy more displays and not more computers.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Hmm. Why haven´t tonton replyed to this thread yet?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    nitridenitride Posts: 100member
    Interesting that it has the same CPU as the Tungsten C and same amount of RAM.

I really really wish web sites would understand that a giant ad in the middle of your copy does not make me want to click on said ad. In fact I thought that large space was a PHOTO OF THE DAMNED THING I WAS READING ABOUT! Is it invisible? Is it vaporware? Was there no press kit or publicity photo passed around? Oh wait, the PR wags prolly couldn't attach anything to the email because they DON'T KNOW HOW.

Idiots.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TAZ

Aries 1B,

I do everything you mention with my Powerbook, except the spill the wine and break glass to wake the family routine. The problems I see with technology of today running a table is size. The unit would have to be like a powerbook without the screen. I can imagine a Tablet computer that has no keyboard and in its stead the screen. It would still be too big to simply walk about with all the time. This is why with the current lay outs a PDA sized jobber would be great. However, I can see a good deal of uses for a device that is say the thickness of a screen and weight about the same. No hard drive, no CPU, no fans; just some memory, an AirportEX card. battery, and maybe a video card. Hooking said device to central server through Airport and having the server do the work and the tablet merely as a display/terminal. Now that could be cool, but then again size would mean the same portability as a current notebook, but expansion for families/small businesses would be great. Just buy more displays and not more computers.

Well, first, let me congratulate you on your dexterity and coordination.

It might be an age thing; I guess I've spent too much time with a clipboard. I don't find my Revision A iBook intuitive or easy to balance. My beloved little Newton 2000 could go anywhere and do (nearly) anything. If (I MEAN *WHEN*!) Apple comes out with a tablet, I really hope that it has its own hard drive and is in every respect, except for the keyboard, a fully functional computer. You could (probably ) fit all of that into something a bit thicker than a new iBook screen, couldn't you?

I am definitely ready for a new desktop (iMac), but not until I can get a tablet to use with it. Call that a data point. Why a tablet? I like to sketch.

I mean, I just can't sketch on my iBook, y'know? I've got a Palm m515 and the sketch programs for it don't allow importing into a Mac. What the hell is that? There are programs that will let you do that with a Windows machine, but not a Mac, and the Mac is the "Artist's Computer"? I don't get it.

Then again, it may not be for me to get. Tired. Fair weather and good fortune to you all. G'night.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

For instance, I bet they make thoes UPS tablets.

THOSE crappy things that never manage to pick up my signature?