How will the world end ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's official, the world is going to end...( probably the same day...I win the lottery ).

But the question is how ?

Seems like there's plenty of options depending on who you are talking too......

Can't make up my mind if I'd prefer, giant tidal wave caused by a humunghus Comet..just think of the surf...

Or scientists discover a wave to turn all the oceans into beer & everyone drowns...pissed to eyeballs...

So if you were chosen by God to pick a way to call the shots..how would you chose for all of us to go?

Happy or terrified..you sadist bastard ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Giant Reptiles!!!

Oh no, It's Kojira, run for your life!!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 78
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, the world WILL end when it's swallowed up or at least melted by the red giant sun a few billion years from now. There's no way of knowing exactly how big the sun will get, but it may engulf earth, and it would cease to be a planet anymore. If the sun didn't get big enough to engulf the earth, it will just make it real toasty... needless to say, there will be no life afterwards. So perhaps the earth will become part of the red giant which will turn into a planetary nebula, or perhaps it will eventually drift off into deep space as a dead hunk of rock once the sun's mass has dispersed enough.

Now, that's just when the planet really, completely dies. Although the climate will change enough in the next billion years to boil the oceans and end all life, the planet will still be around.
  • Reply 3 of 78
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Some say it will be fire. Others say ice.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Fire+Ice = Swedish steam bath - sauna...

Yeah we're going to be anhillated by 6ft tall blonde Swedish type Venusians...wearing nothing but lipstick and flashing their bazookas around...we're all gonna die.....
  • Reply 5 of 78
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    A big big big big rock from outer space.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    And on the 2.412.415.723.523.564 day god came up with the plans for v. 2.0
  • Reply 7 of 78
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This is the way the world will end,

World will end,

World will end.

Not with a bang,

but a whimper.
  • Reply 8 of 78
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    John Dvorak writes an intelligent article about Apple, which causes a rip in the space/time continuum, sucking in antimatter from a parallel universive, and completely annihilating this one.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    Who says that the world is going to end? I didn't see anywhere that it is "Official."
  • Reply 10 of 78
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

Who says that the world is going to end? I didn't see anywhere that it is "Official."

well, actually it is a safe bet that the world will end at some point. a very very safe bet.

speaking of which. the world will end when the front edge of our galaxy collides with the reminants of the collision of two old galaxies (which happend to produce a series of black holes). As time slows on the shadowed earth (which had stopped spinning some time ago after the energy transfer to the moon had reached equilibrium), the last remaining vestige of human society, the giant plastic phalus used to shuttle humans to space will melt in a manner very reminicent of a shrinking erection.

Edit:
  • Reply 11 of 78
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    The Philosopher:

It depends on what you mean by "world". One could interpret your "world" as the human race, the universe, the planet earth or something else. All the the previous listed are based with the anthropic principle and therefore its postulates apply.

The simplest and most correct answer would be that the world will end when you die. Your conciousness will cease to exist and you will no longer observe everything that existed simultaneously when you existed.

The Scientist:

The universe will end when the entropy of the universe approaches its final state of homogeneity. As billions of years pass and the universe continues to expand, not only will there be a heat death due to the second law of thermodynamics, but the energy density will continue to dwindle into nothingness. Life will become impossible as heat engines will be impossible.

Of course, black holes defy the second law of thermodynamics since they seem to decrease entropy. But since they really aren't clearly defined in space-time, we simply don't know...

The Pragmatist:

The world will end when the human race destroys itself. We cannot go millions of years with nuclear weapons without killing ourselves.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

World will end,

World will end.

Not with a bang,

but a whimper.

rats this smarty pants got to it first
  • Reply 13 of 78
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 14 of 78
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Giant. Space. Goat.

Screed
  • Reply 15 of 78
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Maybe not official but how's ***Confirmed*** for ya???

I was about to post that...

Nuclear weapons might be able to destroy civilisation, but would Total Thermonuclear War destroy all of the human race? It probably wouldn't destroy all life on earth.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

Unfortunately it is "Offfical" as it can get. Luca Rescigno gave an apt description: Astronomers and Physicists agree that our sun will expand and destroy the Earth. Of course, without human intervention, life on Earth will probably end long before then.

Sooner or later a celestial body large enough to wipe out all life will hit the Earth. It might hit next week, next year, or a few more centuries down the time stream -- but given the number of possible objects and the laws of physics it looks like life on Earth will not be around for the big ol' barbecue that will toast the planet.

Now, there is a small chance that the human race will get off its collective behind and push out into space in time to save the Earth from incoming comets and asteroids. We could even expand out far enough to keep life going even after the big BBQ, but the way things are going right now I would not count on it. *sigh*
  • Reply 17 of 78
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

World will end,

World will end.

Not with a bang,

but a whimper.

Is that Vonnegut?

Everyday I have a different theory on how life on Earth will end, I think about it for some amount of time pretty much every day. Today, I am pretty sure that however it happens, it will be human-kind's fault. Ask again a better day.
  • Reply 18 of 78
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Probably ice...that way there's an opportunity down the road for the earth to be "reborn" again once the ice melts.

With our luck, this will happen about the time OSX approaches 51% of the industry marketshare.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by iBrowse

[B]Is that Vonnegut?

I remember an interview Vonnegut gave back in the 70's. Apparently, he was mightly impressed by the fact that only two things survived the first nuclear detonation..ants & cockroaches.

Ipso facto

He wrote a novel under the pseudonym " Kilgore Trout " where the last creature to have ever seen God is a giant cockroach....
  • Reply 20 of 78
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Is that Vonnegut?

No, T. S. Eliot, The Hollow Men.

And the fire and ice line is a paraphrase from the poem Fire and Ice by Robert Frost.