Emptying trash in OS 9

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
We are on a new server at work and our Macs are having trouble emptying the trash can containing a bunch of Illustrator files that crashed on us.

All files are unlocked and I've tried holding the OPTION key down when emptying.

....any ideas why these files are stuck on there.. is it related to the server?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Try rebuilding the desktop, I've seen that fix this problem. (Hold command + option at startup).
  • Reply 2 of 15
    macworkmacwork Posts: 57member
    I tried to rebuild the desktop.. all the files are still lingering inside the can...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Do you have Norton Utilities? Take um out of the trash boot off of norton, run the repair. Then trash um. (or use the erase feature in Norton) I've had ghost files that won't delete also and this fixed it.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    sudo rm -R /path/folder/*

examples:

sudo rm -R /.trashes/*

sudo rm -R /users/you/.trash/*

sudo rm -R /volumes/drive/share/"network trash can"/*
  • Reply 5 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    He said OS 9. Maybe there's an equivalent utility to Trash It! X or whatever it's called. Sometimes I make folders in my hard drive root and they are "owned" by root so I can't trash them. So I got that app..it says Sudo in the icon.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Have you tried dragging the items out of the trash and then restarting? If not, try it. After you restart, put them back in the trash and empty it.

Another option would be to try deleting the desktop database (instead of rebuilding it). You can use TechTool to do this (even the lite version).

Yet another option would be to start up from another drive ( a second HD for example) and then empty the trash.

You also could have a directory problem. Try using DiskWarrior (1st choice), TechTool, or Norton to rebuild the directory.

Hope this helps,

Darren

P.S. If you haven't already, you should repair the disk using Disk FirstAid (minimum), Norton, or TechTool.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    you should buy some trashbags next time, I hate it when little pieces of ratty paper get stuck on the bottom... I just leave them there. don't soil your hands, sides what are some stupid illustrator files going to do?...

Try booting off of your OS 9 cd, diskwarrior, somethen with another system folder on it, and see if it sees it then delete them out of there then? maybe

One time I had to go individually and take the locks off each individual file... are they locked at all? does it give you any error messages?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    " Trash It ! " is your answer.

It works for all Mac OS systems from 7.x to Os 9.2 + classic.

I use it to clear caches, prefs etc even in the midst of using programs...

It is a very small "Control Strip Module " that you can use to eliminate stubborn files.

Recommend you take offending files out of ordinary trash & just drag-drop them onto " Trash It " control strip Icon..

It will advice you against doing it..but you can safely ignore the warning.

I normally restart just to set everything to rights.

Never seen anything as efficient or as good...

You can download it from this URL:

http://www.mac.tucows.com/preview/206938.html
  • Reply 9 of 15
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    This is really more of a Genius Bar type question.

This thread has been LIBERATED!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by M3D Jack

This is really more of a Genius Bar type question.

This thread has been LIBERATED!

This might cause confusion to Macwork......being a newbie to Mac & Appleinsider.....\
  • Reply 11 of 15
    thanks for all the suggestions.. I'm going to try the ones I haven't thought of yet and post the results..
  • Reply 12 of 15
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    he caught on, the kid's a champ :-)
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I too am proud of macwork. (I have 'lost' threads prior to vB)
  • Reply 14 of 15
    It always ends up being so simple.

All I did was trash the server alias(duh!) and it gave a message to delete the busy files.

voila!

empty trash can
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by macwork

It always ends up being so simple.

All I did was trash the server alias(duh!) and it gave a message to delete the busy files.

voila!

empty trash can

Even though you don't need it now...I still recommend you download a copy of "Trash It ! "

It seems to be getting more difficult to find on the net.

Very small download & well worth the effort.