laptop bag suggestions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i am looking to get a good laptop bag but unfortunately can't find many good ones.

the four i've narrowed it down to are

crumpler roll-o-notes

kensington aeropack

targus sporty backpack

hama students backpack

anyone seen or used any of these.

i've only been able to see the targus one in real life, seems decent but bulky, would like to know how it handles using it alot.

the others i don't have access to, so can't see before i buy, so it would be incredibly useful if anyone whos used them could tell me a little about what they are really like e.g. spacious?, easy to use? durable? etc.

or i'd be appreciative of any other suggestions, though i'm not interested in side carry cases, really want a backpack (the only exception to this was the crumpler bag because it looks so good)

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I want to know: are there any laptop bags for the 12" powerbook that are basically a case that you can use your powerbook in? Where it opens up, clamshell like, and you don't have to take your computer out?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    d_miked_mike Posts: 7member
    I just got myself a lowepro madison 1300 backpack... The pocket inside fits my powerbook 12" exactly, but with a bigger computer you would have to "stand it up" (ie mine is in the bag laterally, but a 15" pb would have to go longitudinally, if you see what i mean). Its very well made and has plenty of padding.

Mike

PS

http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/.../madi1300.html
  • Reply 3 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I'm still looking for a bag that can open up and let you use the powerbook without taking it out. In other words it will have a zipper that goes all the way around and be nice and padded "quilted" inside. And preferably (this would make it perfect) have a hard, stiff, protective case but with soft lining on the outside and inside. And be slim. This would be perfect if the zipper went all the way around and it was hard.. even semi hard. http://spinbox.versiontracker.com/?R...RANDOM=9610135

Also if it wasn't 79$... luggage is ridiculou$!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    I just got a Cargo bag from Waterfield Design ( http://www.sfbags.com/ ) and it is great. Plenty of room for other stuff and very high quality.

See the bag here: http://www.sfbags.com/PRODUCT_LARGE_...MED/CGMBB.html

The downside is that the bag is pretty expensive (189) and a little heavy.

Lots of review sites have rated the Cargo Bag the perfect bag for carring a powerbook.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    I'm still an ardent supporter of Timbuk2 who produce both laptop sleeves as well as computer bags and messenger bags.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

I just got a Cargo bag from Waterfield Design ( http://www.sfbags.com/ ) and it is great. Plenty of room for other stuff and very high quality.

Lots of review sites have rated the Cargo Bag the perfect bag for carring a powerbook.

I too have a medium cargo bag and one of their sleeve cases (I actually bought the combo deal, so I have a gear pouch to). It is an amazingly well designed bag, and has worked wonderfully for me.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    the timbuk2 bags look marvelous!! i love them, i must get one.

unfortunately i really like the graphic messanger bags. the transit, made for laptops are good on features but i can't resist the look of the other bags. and i can't tell if the messanger has enough room for a laptop loose in a separate padded sleeve.

must find out.

and hopefully they have a dealer selling them over here in the uk, or i'll have to pay nearly £150 for the bag after shipping, duty and VAT. but it might just be worth it.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    My first bag when I was a bike messenger was from TB2. The things are damn near indestructible, and the great thing about a courier bag is that you can always cram more than you think into them.

I ended up spending the premium cash and getting a cargo bag from Waterfield. I really needed something that looked good and was ok in a corporate setting.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    trebuchettrebuchet Posts: 176member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

I'm still an ardent supporter of Timbuk2 who produce both laptop sleeves as well as computer bags and messenger bags.

I second this. I use a Timbuk2 laptop bag with my Timbuk2 Bolo messenger bag. I think I'm going to get a new messenger bag soon with a center divider to keep my Powerbook to itself in my bag.

The great thing about the laptop sleeve: You can put your computer into whatever bag you want to put it in. Comes in very handy when traveling. You never know how big or small of a bag you're going to need.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    My 12" PowerBook lives inside a booq Powersleeve 12: lovely and robust, and it fits inside any other bag or briefcase I want to use without it looking excessively like I'm carrying a laptop around with me. The only slight drawback is that it looks no end like a handbag...

Their shipping to the UK (via US Postal Service) was exemplary: I had it about three days after ordering.

Nice people.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    influenzainfluenza Posts: 146member
    I simply got the Marware SportFolio2 for my 12" PowerBook. It doesn't have much room for anything besides the 'Book and a few accessories and cables, but it's compact, lightweight, quite durable, and only costs about $40. Perfect for carrying back and forth to work (and I walk to work!) I say why buy a tiny computer if you're still going to lug around a huge bag? I'm probably just weird.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    well i'd love to get the timbuk2 messanger back, i have been imformed medium would fit a laptop, so i may buy and isleeve for mine. i atleast found a dealer in the uk, waiting for details.

but the problem i have is whether they are sold in uk or not, that i cant see inside them and look at them physically.

so does anyone have or could take some photos of the suggested backs, showing the inside, and pockets etc. its so hard to tell and would be very useful.

website sometimes included pcitures but not to the level of detial i need before committing my money to something i've never seen/felt.

i mean, i've decided spending £100 would be ok, as its longterm investment to keep my laptop in good condition and to make it portable.

another thing, i must correct, the kensington bag is called an astropack. i got it wrong.

and as for a bag that fits nothing else but the laptop, nice but as student i have books too. i'm more interested in suggestions for something i can fit my laptop, lunch and folder in. plus a few normal things like purse, phone etc.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

They DO produce great stuff -- I have the biggest bag plus a sleeve for my TiBook. The only thing I would change is the little plastic hooky thing that's on the inside immediately next to where I slide the PB into the sleeve -- just below the zipper, perhaps even on its hem. It always freaks me out that it's going to mar the TiBook's case, but it usually stays out of the way.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i never found one that i liked for my 'book, so i made one myself. i like to have my 'book in backpack, normal one, so when the backpack is not shouting what it has inside, i'm happier. i got jaguar fake fur, apple green fleece, stuffing material and some net that is used to build bee homes .. to strengthen the corners. it fits exactly the 'book, and collects smiles whenever people see me usign it, in apple stores, airports..
  • Reply 15 of 15
    well i solved my bag problem. got a cheap backpack on sale. its not quite as stylish nor padded like the cool ones but i figure with a secondskin and some customization like giaguara did, then maybe it will be cool and not expensive either.