H/w ships Q4 or beyond (according to Apple)?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
According to Apple in its financial update today:

It said it expects "net sales, gross margin and total operating expenses to be relatively flat" in the third quarter compared with those in the second quarter, and that interest and other income will decline "significantly" to about $15 million.

As a result, Apple said it would have "a slight profit" in the third quarter.

If sales are flat for this Q3, there wouldn't seem to be room for many if any shipments of 970 computers. Apple says the sales will be "flat". That doesn't sound like many 970's are shipping.

I do not know if Apple has to be totally honest about these statements, but the SEC is pretty strict. I'm not sure how the conflict of interest between public trust (SEC rules) and protecting proprietary information (970 release news) gets resolved. I wonder if Apple is well within its rights to tell a "white lie" to protect future release dates.

If Apple is telling the truth, we won't see 970's shipping in quantity until Q4 (or perhaps tail end of Q3). Here's the original article:

Apple financial article.

Thoughts? Insights?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I'd say they're playing it safe until sufficient quantities are on hand. Remember, it doesn't mean they won't announce it, but they're not guaranteeing they'll ship it.

It would be interesting to know how the documents prior to the introduction of the iMac2 and the latest PowerBook were phrased... man, that took forever to get into the market!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Doesn't that quarter end at the end of June? the link did not work for me.

WWDC is June 23rd

Machines will take a couple of weeks to ship?

Seems like right to me(unless i am wrong about the june ending date)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Apple's Third Quarter ends June 30, 2003.

If Apple started shipping 970s in June, they would be right - only a few would ship in the thrid quarter.

But Apple's fourth quarter would ROCK.

I mean Rock. Really. ShaZamm! To the Moon, Alice!

In SEC documents, companies refer to their FISCAL quarters by default. If they refer to calendar quarters, they denote that specifically, unless the FiSCAL and Calenday quarters are the same for that company. Apple operates on an October-September fiscal calendar.

:-)
  • Reply 4 of 6
    They're telling the truth. Even if they started shipping the rumored PMs today, they'd only have half a quarter to bring sales up. Given that PM sales have probably fallen since the previous quarter when sales were down 40%, that could mean that by today, the middle of the quarter, they would expect sales could be down 10-20% from the previous quarter (or worse).

Actually, if they were expecting sales this quarter to be flat, (instead of down) I'd say that would imply that we could see a new product release sometime this quarter.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I don't know if Apple planned it this way but it sure works out nicely for them. They can give guidence for this quarter that ignores the 970. Than after the 970 is announced they can give guidence for the next quarter that says they expect to sell a bizillian machines and make huge gobs of cash.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    occamoccam Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

Apple's Third Quarter ends June 30, 2003.

If Apple started shipping 970s in June, they would be right - only a few would ship in the thrid quarter.

But Apple's fourth quarter would ROCK.

Ahh, that's nice! Q3 is now. Q4 should have 970s.

Thanks and... great!