T610

Comments

• Reply 81 of 105
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by othello:

<strong>it has bluetooth, but i don't know if it will sync -- its a motorola who have been very quiet on the mac/bluetooth front. so who knows.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Interesting. So it's not that you're hiding secret information. You just don't know. Did you take any pictures, other than the one you already posted?

[quote]<strong>the thing that shocked me was the size and weight. you just won't believe how big it is until you see it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have to admit that I don't mind a slightly larger design, as long as it is thin and relatively light. IMO, the incredible shrinking feats performed by recent mobile phones have hurt ergonomics. A slightly larger, but thin and light, phone would indicate the same philosophy that is behind the iBook and 12-inch PowerBook: Make it small and light, but not so small as to ruin ergonomic use.

Escher
  • Reply 82 of 105
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    nope, no top secret info here just first hand experience!

sorry, no pics -- he had it back in his pocket pretty quick (i think 3 have made him sign away his first born if it gets damaged). it did have a rather nifty rotating camera built into the phone mind!

he is coming in later, so i might try and get him within range of my powerbook and see if i can get him via bluetooth.

i have to agree with you on size -- i really like my 6310i, even though its bigger than some phones. its just right for me.

the motorola is as long as a nokia communicator, if not longer and about as wide. its about as thin as my 6310i, but weighs a lot. i mean a lot
  • Reply 83 of 105
    Well, I have yet to find a site with any kind of a firm release date for the T610/T616, but I'm guessing on or before June 2, because of this link on the Sony Ericsson site.

Yep, if you go to the /t610 directory you get the preview marketing fluff, but if you go to /t616--ostensibly the US version of the same phone, you get:

t-six-ten

The world's first online

mobile imaging magazine

20 days to go.

Which leads to several surmises:

1. The US version of the phone now might also be called the T610...not surprising given the considerable anticipation of this model.

2. They can't very well have a magazine without any contributors, so it seems likely that the phone will get a UK and/or US release by June 2 (20 days from now).

3. This might actually be the first phone where having a camera in is more than a soon-ignored novelty. Using the MMS capabilities to build a user imaging community could build the kind of cult fan-base you see around other lo-fi imaging tools like the Pencams or Lomos. Smart move, if they do it right.

--Call Me AlBook
  • Reply 84 of 105
    k-jink-jin Posts: 3member
    This is as close as I've got to a confirmed date for the UK. (June)

http://www3.carphonewarehouse.com/co...omingsoon-Main

Not sure what this means for those of you in the US.
  • Reply 85 of 105
    Call Me AlBook: I'm glad you dug up this old T610 thread. I'm still waiting with great anticipation for this phone to hit the market. There's a good chance the release of the T610 will coincide with the release of iSync 1.1. As a matter of fact, Think Secret just posted a revised iSync 1.1 article for our enjoyment.

Quote:

Originally posted by Call Me AlBook

Yep, if you go to the /t610 directory you get the preview marketing fluff, but if you go to /t616--ostensibly the US version of the same phone, you get:

t-six-ten

What an awesome find, Call Me AlBook! It really sounds like Sony Ericsson has big plans beyond the handset itself for the T610. I have to wonder whether Apple will be involved in the T610 launch.

Escher
  • Reply 86 of 105
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    It's already supported in 10.2.6.

Quote:

The following are some of the enhancements delivered with the Mac OS X 10.2.6 Update:

- Address Book now supports the Sony Ericsson T610 phone.

• Reply 87 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arty50

It's already supported in 10.2.6.

You're absolutely right, Arty50. Maybe iSync 1.1 will support Apple's version of the T610, aka the purely hypothetical iPhone. And of course, because the T610 has yet to ship, nobody has been able to verify whether 10.2.6 really works with the T610.

Escher
  • Reply 88 of 105
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

And of course, because the T610 has yet to ship, nobody has been able to verify whether 10.2.6 really works with the T610.

It is out and seems to work
  • Reply 89 of 105
    Thanks for the link GSpotter. I'll be following that thread intently since I'm in dire need of a new phone.

And forgive me Escher if I read your post wrong, but of course it works. Why would Apple put that comment in the 10.2.6 notes if it didn't?
  • Reply 90 of 105
    Further Updates:

- Sony Ericsson has also registered t-six-ten.com ...if you go there, you get the same countdown page you get from the T616 URL on their main site.

- According to recent discussion in the Yahoo Group for Salling Clicker (formerly known as Sony Ericsson Clicker), not only does the T610 play nice with OSX Bluetooth; it also supports roughly "95%" of the feature set of the current version of Clicker and works perfectly with iSync.

If things work this well with a prototype phone, the release version may well be the perfect companion phone to the Macintosh.
  • Reply 91 of 105
    Thanks for the link, GSpotter. And Call Me AlBook, you're very well connected, aren't you?

Arty50: I'm sorry, I was just being the usual sceptic. I was thinking back to how long it took for the T68i to ship, especially in the US, and figured that it would take months until we could verify T610 compatibility. My fears were obviously unnecessary.

I already registered at T-SIX-TEN yesterday. Today we only have 29 days to go. I wonder if T-six-ten will be launched in connection with a T-Mobile campaign. Finally, the pictures on that website look to me like they were taken somewhere in industrial England. Of course, those chimneys and red brick factory buildings could be anywhere. Dunno...

BTW: The thread on HowardForums linked above featured a rotating ad for All Global, which sells the T610 for US$550, shipped directly from Europe. That's pretty damn steep if you ask me. I'll wait for a promotional bundle with service plan from T-Mobile.

Escher
  • Reply 92 of 105
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Thanks for the link, GSpotter.

More infos from early T610 owners, you can find at the esato forum.

I'm also waiting for the release here. Prices seem to start here at 429 euro (inkl. 16% VAT)
  • Reply 93 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

I'm also waiting for the release here. Prices seem to start here at 429 euro (inkl. 16% VAT)

Danke für den Link, GSpotter. Vielleicht kann ich mir ein T610 Handy während meinen Sommerferien in Frankreich kaufen (wo der Preis wahrscheinlich ähnlich ist wie in Deutschland) und damit die exorbitanten US-import Preise vermeiden.

430 euro sounds quite a bit more reasonable, and that's with 16% value-added-tax. I bet the buys who sell European model mobiles at inflated prices in the US make a killing.

I still wonder whether Apple is going to come out with its own phone. I'll just wait and see...

Escher
  • Reply 94 of 105
    This Swedish person has already posted a review (in English) of the phone.

Early adopters beware...it looks like there are several reports of an annoying buzzing noise from the speaker.

Still, the overall reaction is very positive, and he/she provides more confirmation that it works beautifully with OSX and iSync and Clicker.
  • Reply 95 of 105
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Call Me AlBook

This Swedish person has already posted a review (in English) of the phone.

Early adopters beware...it looks like there are several reports of an annoying buzzing noise from the speaker.

Still, the overall reaction is very positive, and he/she provides more confirmation that it works beautifully with OSX and iSync and Clicker.

I had a go with one. It's a beautiful phone. Very interesting.
  • Reply 96 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

I had a go with one. It's a beautiful phone. Very interesting.

Harald: Is there anything specific that is "interesting" about the T610? Are there any weak points to it? How might it be enhanced, by SE itself or by a third party?

Escher
  • Reply 97 of 105
    Hey Escher, no worries. I was sorta scratching my head over your posting wondering where the hell that was coming from. Now I understand.

I can't wait for this phone. I had a Nokia 8290 and loved it with the exception of it's craptastically fragile screen. I had two of them go dead. Then I got the 3390, a downgrade but more durable, and...well...meh. The 610 sounds killer though.
  • Reply 98 of 105
    eWeek has posted a great new article about QuickTime 6.3, which will reportedly support mobile devices. I have to wonder whether Sony Ericsson's T610 and P800 phones will be among the supported mobile devices. My guess is yes.

Escher
  • Reply 99 of 105
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Harald: Is there anything specific that is "interesting" about the T610? Are there any weak points to it? How might it be enhanced, by SE itself or by a third party?

Escher

Oooooooh boy. How long have you got?

Weak point: kicking off java and loading apps is slow.

Strong point: media bricks. Framework enabling various media elements to be stuck together ... downloading things as necessary. See it to believe it sort of stuff. And an old tech that they have had lying around for ages (was called brix).

If someone smart were to use it ...

Other strong points: lots and lots.
  • Reply 100 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Oooooooh boy. How long have you got?

I have as much time as you're willing to give us!

So it sounds like the T610 has a very solid foundation, but isn't blazingly fast. Of course, I assume it's a vast improvement over the T68i, right? For my limited phone, contact, and calendar use, I imagine the T610 will be just fine. All I'm trying to do is replace my Palm, which I only use an address- and date-book anyway. (I didn't jump on the free T68i offers because of allegedly poor reception and smaller screen.)

Talking about using the T610 as a (limited) PDA substitute, can you turn off the phone part but keep using the device? This would be useful, e.g. to browse your schedule or play a Mophun game while in flight on a plane.

Escher