nVidia and the 970 perfect together?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...fx_5900_debuts

well it says its debuts for the mac in june...(just in time for wwdc)

970 and 5900 together sounds like a pretty niftty machine.

anyone know if the the 5900 is agp(x)?

cheers,

m2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    More likely to be available as option
  • Reply 2 of 12
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PUREPHAZED

well it says its debuts for the mac in june...(just in time for wwdc)

Actually it doesn't. It says GeForece FX 5900 Ultra could be used in Macs, and regarding availability it just states that nvidia anticipates shipping in June. It doesnt say anything about availability for Macs, just that it's possible in the future.

And.. where did 970 come in? GeForce FX 5900 Ultra would be just as perfect for regular Power Mac G4s, but the Radeon 9700 seems to me like a much more attractive GPU anyways..
  • Reply 3 of 12
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    I think Apple will need a new graphics card for the 970 (duh) and since this is kind of a new breed of machine I think they will want something amazing.

If this graphics card does the ticket, I can almost promise this means we will hear about 970's next month. The timing just seems to odd not for the two to go together.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    i guess i should have put it that way.. thats what i meant...

thx

cheers,

mark
  • Reply 5 of 12
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    since ATIs Radeon 9700 still seems to beat give GeForce FX in numerous tests, I really can't see why Apple will use this GPU in its machines. It's not that impressive at all, and even if they do have done something to reduce power consumption and heat dissipation it performes flat out poorly compared to what ATI is offering.

I really don't what yet another leaf blower-fan inside a Mac, and a dual 970 @ 1.8 most certainly will generate more heat than current G4s, so.. I for one dont wan't 5900 inside a Power Mac. But I do hope that someone (perhaps Apple) will make it an BTO offering for those of you who do.

And.. nVidia's and Apple's timetables are not synced. I can guarantee you that Apple didn't push WWDC forward just to be first with GeForce FX 5900 and nVidia won't hold back nor push forward any shipping of the GPUs just because Apple tells them to. nVidia is struggling to stay afloat at the moment.. ATI is eating them alive and seems more vital then in a long time. nVidia will ship their GPUs regardless of what Apple do, and Apple will do what they have to do regardless of nVidia.

If Apple did release 970 with a specially made dual-GPU graphics board, from let's say ATI.. then that would most certainly be a jaw dropper. ATI does make that kind of boards, ant it'd be a fitting addition to a Class A 3D-machine.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

since ATIs Radeon 9700 still seems to beat give GeForce FX in numerous tests, I really can't see why Apple will use this GPU in its machines. It's not that impressive at all, and even if they do have done something to reduce power consumption and heat dissipation it performes flat out poorly compared to what ATI is offering.

I suggest you catch up on some reading because you seem to be behind the times. You are referring to Nvidia's GeForce 5800 based on the NV30 GPU, the 5900 is based on the new NV35 GPU and is much faster than either ATI's 9700 or newer 9800 cards. The heat is no longer such a problem since the clock speeds of the memory and core have actually ben able to be lowered while providing improved performance thanks to a 256bit memory interface on the NV35. The "leaf-blower" fan on previous methods was discovered to be a manufacturing flaw where the fan was rubbing against it's housing.

I really don't what yet another leaf blower-fan inside a Mac, and a dual 970 @ 1.8 most certainly will generate more heat than current G4s, so.. I for one dont wan't 5900 inside a Power Mac. But I do hope that someone (perhaps Apple) will make it an BTO offering for those of you who do.

Quote:

nVidia is struggling to stay afloat at the moment.. ATI is eating them alive and seems more vital then in a long time. nVidia will ship their GPUs regardless of what Apple do, and Apple will do what they have to do regardless of nVidia.

Nvidia is hardly struggling, they remain profitable, something ATI has not been able to claim in several quarters. Nvidia now holds a nearly 32% market share for the total graphic chipset market, compared to 17-19% share for ATI. In the past quarter Nvidia has also increased thier mobile marketshare nearly 50%. With new detonator FX drivers poised to be released with significant improvements to visual quality and FSAA performanc I'd hardly be worried about Nvidia.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    After a shaky start to the FX line, the 5900 is a fine rebuttal to the 9800 Pro.

Looking at the Doom III benches, it is an impressive performer. But even these cards are a generation away from playing Doom III comfortably at the higher resolutions...with all the graphical finesse settings that Doom III hopes to offer...

Going from 80,000 polygons per sec to over 300,000 is impressive. ( I heard mentions of post N35 cards from Nvidia offering 500,000-900,000 polys per sec by the Autumn. Not bad at all.)

And check that bandwidth on 256 bit! Ouch. That's what ya call a fat pipe...

The 5900 doesn't beat up the 9800 Pro. But it clearly opens up a lead on Doom III. The next gen' bench by the looks of things.

Either card would be a fine complement to the next gen Power Tower 970!

I just hope Apple don't offer Radeon 9000 cards with dual 970s. The embarrassment... (Or an Ati Rage with their top end 970...snicker...)

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 8 of 12
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Isn't nVidia already gonna provide the chipset for the PPC970-based Macs?

Maybe we'll see integrated video once the chipset rolls around to the iMac and eMac lines. Now THAT should push some polygons! w00t!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    some guy gave a mysterious post about the low end 970 using the nforce. but he did not follow up to say if it was a guess or a fact.

was that what you were thinking of?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

Isn't nVidia already gonna provide the chipset for the PPC970-based Macs?

Maybe we'll see integrated video once the chipset rolls around to the iMac and eMac lines. Now THAT should push some polygons! w00t!

If you're talking about nForce then don't get too excited. The Integrated GeForceFX is much slower than an AGP version even though it gets to utilize the Dual Channel memory. Personally I hope Apple can whip up a little something better than nForce which is impressive as nVidias second effort in Motherboards but Apples 20+ years is not sham either.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    The new 12" and 17" alBooks come with the nVidia Go - even though the ati 9000 in the 15" is reportedly a superior card. I remember speculation back then about a possible deal made with nVidia to explain this 'regression' in performance, hinting at something bigger coming down the pipe in a joint project with nVidia and Apple??

Or was it just to have both teams on board in the pb line?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    yeah.. i took a looksy at those benchmarks and i think that they both look good.

i think that as long as you get to choose what grfx card on the 970 then that will be fine.. if your a gamer nvidia and if you are just using for video and graphics then maybe the ati is the best choice.. well one thing, both companies are keeping up with each other and pushing themselves more and more. i think thats a good thing... lets hope for the best card for what looks like the best machine since the g3 that blew the doors off of the pIII...

all and all i'm waiting for my panther to arrive from the wwdc...