When Will DVD-R Drives Go Beyond 4x?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone have any insight?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    On a more important note. When will Apples Super Drives support DVD-RW not just DVD-R?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

On a more important note. When will Apples Super Drives support DVD-RW not just DVD-R?

Super drives have always supported DVD-RW, you just can't use apple's disc burner software. Use Toast instead.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

Super drives have always supported DVD-RW, you just can't use apple's disc burner software. Use Toast instead.

The Super Drives in the 12" and 17" Powerbooks do not support DVD-RW. It was disabled in the drive firmware for unknown reasons. Or so I am told.

Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 23
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    No, never. They have reached their physical maximum. Any faster and the bits would start flying off the edge. It is hard enough keeping them on now. Why do you think they are all horizontial instead of vertical? Gravity would pull off the bits if you spun them like that.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    grecygrecy Posts: 15member
    I think the more important question is when will consumers be able to burn to Dual-Layer DVD's ?

That's when I'll buy one.

-Dan
  • Reply 6 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Grecy

I think the more important question is when will consumers be able to burn to Dual-Layer DVD's ?

That's when I'll buy one.

-Dan

VERY good question, for dubbing movies or 'time shifting' DVD2One meets all ur needs

truth is i do just time shift alot, i have a DVD-RW and just put my DVD on there before i return it to blockbuster till i get another one
  • Reply 7 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Honestly I don't ever see Dual Layer recording coming. The Tech alone to manufacture the discs would make it prohibitively expensive.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Honestly I don't ever see Dual Layer recording coming. The Tech alone to manufacture the discs would make it prohibitively expensive.

well although you may be right, i'm not really sure that is something you can say with technology, because things are always becoming possible and realistic that there weren't before

i see what you mean, but who though we would be burnign CD's or DVD's back when they FIRST came out...it wasn't realistic then to burn them

ok i didn't make a strong point but its a good one that i am not communicating well, do u get what i'm saying?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Dual Layers but it'll take a brave company to try. All DVD Drives read the layers fine but recording is a whole new beast. But someone will undoubtedly try...we might see it if it's good enough to get out the Lab.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Isn't 4x DVD ~5.4 MB/s which is about 36x for a CD-R which is pretty fast already, but since CR-R will go up to 52x (so they say) maybe there is some room.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    grecygrecy Posts: 15member
    Of course we will be able to burn Dual-Layer disks one day.

It's crazy to think anything else.

As far back as I can think, how many people that have predicted what we won't be able to do in the computer industry have been correct? Not many I think.

Every year I'm amazed what we can do. Back in the day when 1X CD-ROMs needed caddys because it was so difficult to hold the CD still and focus the lazer accurately.

Now we're burning DVD's with ease !!!

Sure the dual-layer blanks will be expensive when introduced, but so where 80min CD's.. let alone 99s.

What about DVD-recorders for your TV? In two years I've watched them go from 'not-possible' to around $10k to alot less than $3k.

It's always possible, just a matter of time.

-Dan
  • Reply 12 of 23
    There was an article on slashdot not too long ago about how 16X drives should be here next year due to the development of more powerful lasers.

By then, however, I'll probably be asking for 2x Blue laser discs. 30 Gigs per disc! Oh baby!
  • Reply 13 of 23
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

Isn't 4x DVD ~5.4 MB/s which is about 36x for a CD-R which is pretty fast already, but since CR-R will go up to 52x (so they say) maybe there is some room.

Isn't the reason why CD-RW drives are limited to 52X is because the media cannot handled speeds much past that (i.e., the media rips apart in the drive). I would think data transfer rates is a technological limitation that will only improve over time. I think we will see a 16/24/36X drive (or faster) in the future.

Thanks

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 23
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Perhaps a better question is when will optical drives not suck.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Not for a while, not until the DVR-107 for the Pioneers anyway. Pioneer plans an incremental update from 105-->106 for the Summer, with actual speed increases coming in late Winter.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    When I was shopping for my DVD drive I remember reading (in some DVD specific forum) a post by some guy who apparently was in the industry (maybe a Pioneer engineer) and a regular poster.

I remember him posting something about 8X burners this fall.

Sorry I'm so vague. When people asked about the incremental increase he stated something along the lines that the speed increases would develope very similarly to CD writing speeds. i.e. 4X . 8X> I think he even alluded to 6X being a possibility. Apparently the reason for this was all based on the laser limitations, he went into detail but i have since forgotten the reasons.

MSKR
  • Reply 17 of 23
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    If 4x DVD is comparable to 36x CD-R, why is it they can actually only write CD's at 16x? \
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

If 4x DVD is comparable to 36x CD-R, why is it they can actually only write CD's at 16x? \

Because a DVD burner writing at 4x isn't spinning as fast as a CD writer at 36x. Remember, DVDs have a much higher density per track than CDs, so the disc can write more data at a lower speed. I would imagine that either the particular motors they use are rated for the slower rpm (to be more precise and reliable) and/or because of the extra hardware involved (extra set of read/write lasers) they don't want to tax the hardware as much. I would imagine as this stuff advances you'll start seeing DVD burners which can burn CDs much faster.

-Leigh
  • Reply 19 of 23
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    in the meantime I just got a Plextor 52X CD burner... except in Toast it only gives me a max 40x - why is that?

And is there a way to use it with Disc Burner in the Finder?

I'm off to the Genius Bar...
  • Reply 20 of 23
    pontonponton Posts: 43member
    I believe we will start to see some of the Blue Ray technology based recorders coming out this year. I believe the data versions will start at about 25 GB for single layer single sided, and eventually go to 100 GB dual layer dual sized. I don't suppose there should be any reason that the video version should not be able to do the same.